PDA

View Full Version : Registration runaround in California

mkaney
01-27-2008, 04:55 PM
I live in Santa Barbara County, California.

I was irresponsible and I waited until the last few days to register to vote. When I went to do so, I was unable to find an online form at the county registrar's site. So I went to three different post offices, covering a distance of 80 miles, and was not able to find any voter registration forms despite the fact that the website indicated I would. I finally found an online form at the California Secretary of State website. Because I would not be able to get it to a post office in time, I went to a police station to see if they could accept it or date stamp it and was told "This not post office, it is a police station."

When I wrote to the country registrar informing of the problems I had in registering, I got a very bureaucratic response including the statement that her office was open late on Tuesday and was open on Saturday (but closed Sunday and Monday). I verified this information was not published in the newspapers, nor on the website.

This makes me concerned that other individuals who are either first time voters, students, or renters who need to frequently reregister are encountering similar problems. And these are groups that would have large numbers of Ron Paul supporters here in California.

I realize that nothing can be done about it now, but I believe that voter disenfrachisement may be one of the most powerful ways the establishment is attempting to keep itself in power. People who were previously disgusted with the politics of the establishment are being kept out of the process.

John P Slevin
01-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I live in Santa Barbara County, California.

I was irresponsible and I waited until the last few days to register to vote. When I went to do so, I was unable to find an online form at the county registrar's site. So I went to three different post offices, covering a distance of 80 miles, and was not able to find any voter registration forms despite the fact that the website indicated I would. I finally found an online form at the California Secretary of State website. Because I would not be able to get it to a post office in time, I went to a police station to see if they could accept it or date stamp it and was told "This not post office, it is a police station."

When I wrote to the country registrar informing of the problems I had in registering, I got a very bureaucratic response including the statement that her office was open late on Tuesday and was open on Saturday (but closed Sunday and Monday). I verified this information was not published in the newspapers, nor on the website.

This makes me concerned that other individuals who are either first time voters, students, or renters who need to frequently reregister are encountering similar problems. And these are groups that would have large numbers of Ron Paul supporters here in California.

I realize that nothing can be done about it now, but I believe that voter disenfrachisement may be one of the most powerful ways the establishment is attempting to keep itself in power. People who were previously disgusted with the politics of the establishment are being kept out of the process.

Why didn't you just go to the local county voter registrar and register there? In California, there is no problem registering to vote. Forms are in abundant supply all around the state, and you always could have gone to the local county voter registrar. The mistake you made was trying to do it online, and when you tried to "write" (I presume that was email) the registrar.

You could have walked in and registered. Also, a simple phone call to the Republican Party headquarters would have informed you of your options. Any candidate's headquarters would have registration forms, etc.

It was your fault, no run around by the evil blue meanies here.

mkaney
01-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I do fully appreciate, and conceded, that I could have begun the process earlier. I was not trying to register online though, I was simply attempting to get a form. I work from 9am to 6pm, sometimes 7. And I have a 1 hour commute to get to work. Nonetheless, it is not my responsibility or lack or that is at issue here. What is at issue is reality. I am a procastinator, the world is filled with us. If we determine that a large number of people who support our cause are members of groups that would commonly reregister, we should strive to make the registration as simple as possible to increase representation.

I think that I should have been able to find a form at a post office (I went to 3), that the form should have been downloadable from the county's site, and the police station should have been able to accept the form, or there should be a drop box available after-hours. So the problem I had was a lack of information, and I believe it is the job of the county registrar to provide as much information as possible in the newspapers, online, and/or in mailings.

dannno
01-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, I would have told you to go through the main entrance of the County building and take the stairs to the 2nd floor.. they had registration forms on 1/22 and I were accepting them on that day. We'll see if they actually get registered, though..

They don't have extended hours, either.. 9-5 I believe..

XelR8r
01-28-2008, 09:57 PM
That sux. Why didn't U go to DMV?

mkaney
01-28-2008, 10:40 PM
That sux. Why didn't U go to DMV?

It's really this simple. I didn't remember to register until Sunday afternoon. Monday was Martin Luther King day. So the only location which would have been available was the post office lobby. On Tuesday I simply was not able to get away from work until 7pm, at which point I tried the other post offices.

Edward
01-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I regret that Ron Paul will receive one vote less, but I have no sympathy for the OP. The rules for registering to vote are simple and easy to follow.

John P Slevin
01-29-2008, 01:08 AM
I regret that Ron Paul will receive one vote less, but I have no sympathy for the OP. The rules for registering to vote are simple and easy to follow.

And it is why well organized campaigns register voters. As this person was a known and reachable RP supporter, the campaign needed to make sure the supporter got registered...to do otherwise is to lose.

josh24601
01-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Even RP supporters don't all grasp the concept of personal accountability. :confused: