PDA

View Full Version : Would you contribute more or less if you thought Dr. Paul might run 3rd Party?

hueylong
01-27-2008, 02:17 PM
This is a poll to see what the Paulites feel about the possibility of running as an Independent/3rd party in November (if, of course, he doesn't win the Republican nomination)...

Would you contribute more now? Or less?

hueylong
01-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Poll bump.

losinglife
01-27-2008, 02:23 PM
.....and people wonder why RP gets asked if he is going to run 3rd party at every debate :rolleyes:

hueylong
01-27-2008, 02:35 PM
They're trying to marginalize him because they're concerned about his impact on the Republican nominee...

The purpose of the post is to see what the Paulites think -- if he doesn't get the nomination -- and doesn't know that he's got A LOT of support to run indy -- that'll just be the end of it.

IcyPeaceMaker
01-27-2008, 02:36 PM
The message is important, the MOST important, so whatever gets the message the most air time is what I'm for.

colecrowe
01-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I think the question is very unclear. It should say, "If in the off-chance RP doesn't get the nomination, should he run Indy or TP?"

answer 1. I would be less likely to donate if I knew he WOULD go Indy or TP ("hurt the Repubs").
answer 2. It doesn't matter either way to me.
answer 3. I would be more likely to donate if I knew he would go Indy or TP.
answer 4. I would donate only if he intends to take it all the way to the General no matter what.

I'll say (and do) 2--but, honestly, I feel like 4: I would be very, very disappointed if he didn't go Indy.

Firstly, he can get this nomination, and his response about "having no intention to go iNDEPENDENT (or third party)" is absolutely the right one. Because he doesn't--his intention is to win the Republican nomination. Who knows when the decision should be made to switch to an independent run if the nomination becomes impossible to get.

Please stop saying Third Party. I think that would be horrible. He has to go independent (unaffiliated). Maybe people disagree with me? But if he went Lib. he couldn't get more than 5-10% guaranteed because 90% of voters would think they could never vote Libertarian--can anyone say repeal drug laws, abolish social security, and open borders? He could maybe get 10-15% if he went Constitution Party. But Independent he could win it--especially against Hillary and McCain.

Actually, I will say this... If it appears that the GOP will be utterly, hopelessly lost, as in completely abandoning constitutional and conservative ideals like protection of civil liberties, small, limited government, national sovereignty, and a non-interventionist foreign policy, then maybe Ron Paul and his 10% base that exists now should all sign up under the banner of a new coalition, maybe it could be a party, maybe call it the Conservative Party. That way we go into the contest for the General election with some orginization--and if it catches on maybe it could beat down the Republican Party that so many conservatives are fed up with. Also, any Ron Paul Republicans could join the Conservative Party (or whatever it is) and could run for Congress and state seats under its banner in the upcoming election, especially if they don't make it in their primaries.

chiefsmurph
01-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Those are some very interesting results.

rice_classic
01-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Less. Nobody cares about indy. MSM doesn't cover news of indy candidates. Indy candidates have a negative stigma. It is an abyss. RON PAUL KNOWS THIS.

He has no intention of running indy because he knows it's a lost cause. Regardless of how addicited to RP I have become I am still VERY much aware of the control the MSM still has over the average American. For example, the average American still shops at Wal-Mart because they don't know any better and that average Joe goes home and watches Faux News all night long and believes every word.

I meet people everyday who think that it is ok to give up civil liberties "as long as we're safe". I meet people everyday who think that the Earth is only 10,000 years old and what they see on TV is the truth.

If he runs independent I will have A LOT more free time because I will be able to go back to being apathetic knowing that there's nothing we can do to save this country.

There is no hope going Indy, that's just the way the game is played and has been played for the last century!

Johncjackson
01-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I would Max Out Now and gladly Max Out for the General.

If he loses GOP and doesnt run Indy, I guess someone else will accept the money.

hueylong
01-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Uhhh - Rice... It's not that simple. And Dr. Paul is only waying what he HAS to say at this point.

With respect to Indy -- more voters nationally view themselves as Independent as either Republican or Democrat.

ALSO -- Ross Perot was polling in the mid-30% range (2nd place) when he freaked out and dropped out. He got back in later and STILL got 19%.

Respectfully, I run campaigns for a living and I can tell you for a fact: There are a lot more voters who will consider voting for Dr. Paul as an Independent general election candidate than can vote for him in the Republican primary process.

Peace&Freedom
01-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Paul needs to be on the ballot in November, period. Be there as a Republican, or 3rd party, or both---I just want to see his name! If he commits to running through November, I'm backing him with $$ whichever way.

hueylong
01-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY P&F! Republican, Indy or 3rd...

expatinireland
01-27-2008, 04:01 PM
There are a lot more voters who will consider voting for Dr. Paul as an Independent general election candidate than can vote for him in the Republican primary process.

A most logical deduction which I agree with wholeheartedly, but we would still be better off with the Republican nomination.

Kludge
01-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Depends on who else won the nomination if I'd donate more or the same. Definately not less. Paul's getting at least 10% of pop. vote for the history books ;) Kids will learn about libertarians, dammit!

hueylong
01-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Dr. Paul is getting around 10% of REPUBLICAN PRIMARY VOTERS. These are the people MOST RESISTANT to his anti-war message.

He will do Much better with Independents, and anti-war Democrats.

MsDoodahs
01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
More. :)

Broken Record
01-27-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm a Libertarian and a Paul supporter, but I do disagree with him on some issues as most Libertarians do. I never paid much attention to the Constitution Party, but I looked up some info on them a few days ago and it looked to me like where Ron Paul belongs. Does he differ with the Constitution Party on anything? Who is the Constitution Party anyway? Are they similar in size to the LP? Is there a bad stigma associated with that party?

Now I don't pretend to know the drawbacks or benefits of running independent versus running as a third party candidate and it really doesn't matter to me personally how Ron Paul runs as long as he runs. He has more support than any "Libertarian leaning" (as they always say) candidate in my lifetime, so he has my vote.

colin1
01-27-2008, 07:19 PM
This is a poll to see what the Paulites feel about the possibility of running as an Independent/3rd party in November (if, of course, he doesn't win the Republican nomination)...

A third party run is a waste of time and resources in my opinion. A third party candidate can't win in our current system. I will not exert any money or effort on behalf of a third party run. Organizing something that would make a real difference (grooming, supporting and running RP Republicans for local, state and Congress) and some sort of Liberty Lobbying group would be much more effective. But it doesn't matter, because Ron's getting the nomination. :D

colin1
01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Dr. Paul is getting around 10% of REPUBLICAN PRIMARY VOTERS. These are the people MOST RESISTANT to his anti-war message.

He will do Much better with Independents, and anti-war Democrats.

Come on! Are you for real? In 1992 Ross Perot spent about $65 million of his own money to win about 19% of the popular vote. Why bother?

hueylong
01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
As I said previously -- Perot was polling in the mid-30's when he freaked out. He was in second place. A lot of people thought he would win. so the establishment started playing with his head.

Even though his credibility took a big hit -- he won 19%.

Perot is a case in point for what I am saying.

CaliforniaAndre
01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
not enough credit is given to RP.
If he yells 3rd party, he losses much at this point.
You think this is a media blackout? What do you think he would get as a 3rd party.

If he converts, timing is everything!

hueylong
01-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I totally agree Andre -- timing is everything. But then -- the musings of his crazy supporters aren't the plans of Dr. Paul...

Just looking for some data that might support the notion that his supporters would give him the thumbs up.

hueylong
01-27-2008, 08:56 PM
So far -- the ANSWER is 88% of his supporters would give the SAME amount (54%) or MORE (34%) if Dr. P was going to run Indy.

PaleoForPaul
01-27-2008, 09:13 PM

If he announced a third party run, I'd make an effort to max out. I do believe he could win a third party run easier than winning the Republican nomination.

hueylong
01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Frankly, I agree Paleo.

Syragop45
01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
I'd give the same... whatever I can.

blakjak
01-27-2008, 10:09 PM
As I said previously -- Perot was polling in the mid-30's when he freaked out. He was in second place. A lot of people thought he would win. so the establishment started playing with his head.

Yup, A lot of people forget how well Perot was actually doing.

blakjak
01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Another thing to consider - If Paul runs Independent (or Third Party for that matter) everyone's donations reset back to 0 - so we could easily get him another $20 million.

hueylong
01-27-2008, 10:13 PM
It's a general election -- so everything starts over.

I honestly think Dr. Paul could raise $100 million as a general election candidate.

Eponym_mi
01-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I suspect some are holding back not knowing how serious he is about going all the way to the general.

Frankly, I'm not sure that he is doing himself any favors by dismissing the idea of running third party or independent. The other Republicans have to start moving in RP's direction and get the rest of the party on board or they risk losing in the general anyway. There is no way the other Republicans are going to win based on their positions/platform/records. So far, they've been making some half-hearted efforts toward RP's positions, but not far enough.

newyearsrevolution08
01-27-2008, 10:59 PM
He has said this plenty of times BUT I will write it down here for more to see....

Ron Paul will continue this fight as long as his supporters continue to support him. What that means is simple......

If he for whatever reason cant secure the republican nomination he will odds are then look to his supporters and see if they will support him as a 3rd party candidate. We all know we will and honestly we will end up having MORE power if and when this happens. I do believe we can achieve the republican nomination BUT just because a 3rd party candidate has never gotten any real publicity does NOT mean that will happen with ron paul.

His grassroots support will continue growing through these primaries and even larger into the general election and with that will come a very hard fight for the "powers that be". We are growing larger and larger and soon enough they will not be able to stop this message.

I think this message is too large to be contained by "party affiliation" but dont assume that ron paul wants a 3rd party run. He is a republican or at least he is an ACTUAL republican even though the party itself has lost its way. Maybe an independent run is something that can actually be decided as a serious platform due to the democratic and republican parties almost being one in the same.

If we will fight so will he i'm sure and honestly it doesn't matter to me if it is as a republican or 3rd party candidate. We will take our country back either way....

hueylong
01-27-2008, 11:01 PM
I agree completely.

qh4dotcom
01-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Less. Nobody cares about indy. MSM doesn't cover news of indy candidates. Indy candidates have a negative stigma. It is an abyss. RON PAUL KNOWS THIS.

He has no intention of running indy because he knows it's a lost cause. Regardless of how addicited to RP I have become I am still VERY much aware of the control the MSM still has over the average American.

If Ron Paul doesn't get the Republican nomination, then running Independent is his last chance of ever becoming President....unless he wants to try again in 2012 at age 76.

Tancredo made the decision to run for President knowing he couldn't win just to spread his position about illegal immigration and force every candidate to take a stand on the issue. Ron Paul might make the same choice to spread his message about freedom and the Constitution.

hueylong
01-27-2008, 11:34 PM
The Constitution Party Convention - April 23 - 26
Libertarian Party Convention - May 22 - 26
Running Indy -- June / July Latest to start Ballot Work

Akus
01-27-2008, 11:40 PM
.....and people wonder why RP gets asked if he is going to run 3rd party at every debate :rolleyes:

wr0d

can we please please not talk about a third party until it is absolutely obvious RP will not win a GOP ticket?

please