PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Hi-Point?

tcindie
01-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I was at a gun show yesterday afternoon and there was a table with a few different handguns made by Hi-Point. The prices were all under $200 for brand new guns. Needless to say I was tempted by the price. I've never owned a handgun before, so I don't know what to look for really I guess.

I picked them up and they felt good in the hand, and seemed a nice weight. There was a little stat sheet sitting there that said the .45 outshot a lot of other .45's in some contest in Texas or something last year. So they must shoot decently I'd assume.

Any thoughts?

Here's the manufacturer's website: http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com

FreeTraveler
01-27-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm interested in this too. I've read some nice things on boards about them, and the people who trash them seem to have never shot one. Owners, on the other hand, seem to like them fine, and they've gotten some good reviews too.

RedLightning
01-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Heres some hi point forums you might want to check out.
http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/

Shellshock1918
01-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Its a good weapon but it doesn't accept hi capacity magazines.

I have and prefer the kel-tec sub2000. It can take a wide variety of magazines. For instance mine takes Glock magazines.

tcindie
01-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Well.. way I was taught, it's one shot one kill... So, in a situation where the magazine it does take doesn't provide enough shots I don't think a handgun is the right weapon of choice. ;)

tcindie
02-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Well, I couldn't resist the prices (and the lifetime warranty!!) of Hi-Point, so I bought myself a C9 today...

$181 after tax, with an extra mag. :)

Defining Obscene
02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I like those carbines, thanks for this post. I'll definitely look into these.

tcindie
02-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Just got home from the range...

100 rounds sent downrange without a hitch. No misfeeds, jams, etc. I'm loving HiPoint. I can now honestly say that I can recommend this brand. Affordable, lifetime warranty, and made right here in the US of A.. that's a good combination of attributes. ;)

bg1654
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I have an ~6yr old hi point C 9mm and it tends to jam after some use. After 40 rounds or so it jams and continues to do so about once every 10rnd clip. Might be a worn out spring though.

Matt
02-05-2008, 12:59 AM
All of their guns look ridiculous. I'd rather pay an extra $100 for something that doesn't look like a sci-fi prop. :D

krott5333
02-05-2008, 01:54 AM
skip a hi-point, add $100, and get a used Ruger P-series.

mrwomp
02-07-2008, 11:14 PM
don't listen to the people talkin bad about hi-point i have had my c9 mini for around 3 years 800 rounds later and still going strong it is an accurate gun feels good in the hands reliable the only problem is the low cap mags but if you can shoot good enough 8 rounds is plenty

go buy one this is a great gun for people on a very limited budget

DirtMcGirt
02-07-2008, 11:18 PM
http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=gmail&q=taurus+pt145&um=1&ie=UTF-8

This is the gun I'm buying... First time gun owner here and this is what i was recommended... not buying any ammo though...

Conservative Christian
02-12-2008, 11:27 PM
You get what you pay for. For under 200 bucks, don't expect an outstanding handgun. There's no such critter at that price.

I've worked a lot of gun shows in my time, and dealers and buyers alike aren't overly enthused about Hi-Point.

Spend a few hundred more bucks and get a proven weapon.

Check out brands like Kimber, Springfield Armory etc.

Chad_Underdonk
02-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Hi-Points are "adequate" guns if you don't own one or can't afford something better. I sold one to a friend of mine as a kitchen table dealer and he really liked it, but I don't think he really had a lot to compare it to.

My personal favorite handgun for a novice user is a .357/.38 revolver. There are several around for $300 or less, even more if you're willing to bargain hunt at a pawn shop. They are about as reliable and simple as anyone could need, and you can hand it to anyone and explain it in about 30 seconds flat.

maeqFREEDOMfree
02-13-2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=gmail&q=taurus+pt145&um=1&ie=UTF-8

This is the gun I'm buying... First time gun owner here and this is what i was recommended... not buying any ammo though...

if i may offer another recomendation:

Springfield XD .40cal.

I have the standard 4" barrel which i bought over the Glock 27 (4" .40 cal).
The gun felt amazing the first time i held it. I especially like the weight distribution in the gun. I've never had any problems with the gun jamming and have shot well over 1500 rounds through it.

They also offer the XD in .45 acp. Had they offered that caliber when i bought mine, i would have went .45.

try it out. at most gun ranges (in michigan anyway), you can rent guns to shoot before you buy them.

The rule i was taught in selecting your first handgun is to buy a gun with the most stopping power that you can effectively handle.

another freebie recommendation - buy ammo. a gun without ammo is like buying a car but not filling it with gas. it looks pretty, but isn't going to help you when you need it.

Conservative Christian
02-13-2008, 09:44 PM

Springfield XD .40cal. I have the standard 4" barrel which i bought over the Glock 27 (4" .40 cal).

You made a good choice. I firmly believe the Springfield "Croatian Sensation" (they're manufactured in Croatia) XD is a better made and safer weapon than the Glock.

I'm personally not a big fan of double action semi-autos (DASAs), but for those who like DASAs, the XD is a nice weapon at an affordable price.

The gun felt amazing the first time i held it. I especially like the weight distribution in the gun. I've never had any problems with the gun jamming and have shot well over 1500 rounds through it.

They're quite dependable overall. More so than Glock, IMHO.

They also offer the XD in .45 acp. Had they offered that caliber when i bought mine, i would have went .45.

There's nothing wrong with the 40S&W. It's a good self-defense round that many police departments around the country have upgraded to. Just make sure you use only jacketed hollow points.

try it out. at most gun ranges (in michigan anyway), you can rent guns to shoot before you buy them.

That's true at most ranges anywhere in the country. Try out a number of different weapons in various calibers.

The rule i was taught in selecting your first handgun is to buy a gun with the most stopping power that you can effectively handle.

I would recommend that somebody go to the range several times before deciding on buying a weapon. Try different guns every time you go.

Some beginners, especially those who are somewhat fearful and/or physically slight, might only be comfortable with a .22LR on their initial trip to the range. However, since it's not a reliable self-defense round, it would be unwise to run out and buy one after their first visit.

After a few trips to the range, they should be able to progress to larger caliber weapons. Once they're comfortable with at least a 9mm or .38 Special, they should then go out and buy a weapon in the largest caliber they're comfortable with.

another freebie recommendation - buy ammo. a gun without ammo is like buying a car but not filling it with gas. it looks pretty, but isn't going to help you when you need it.

Most people buy ammo with their first gun, but often only one box. Buy as many extra boxes as you can afford. One should also buy at least one or two extra magazines, if they purchase a semi-auto.

Conservative Christian
02-13-2008, 09:55 PM

Springfield XD .40cal.

What's your magazine capacity?

the_british_are_coming
02-24-2008, 01:22 AM
You made a good choice. I firmly believe the Springfield "Croatian Sensation" (they're manufactured in Croatia) XD is a better made and safer weapon than the Glock.

...I'm personally not a big fan of double action semi-autos (DASAs)...

...They're quite dependable overall. More so than Glock, IMHO...

...There's nothing wrong with the 40S&W. It's a good self-defense round that many police departments around the country have upgraded to...

Hey guy, not trying to rip on you, but how much experience do you have with either the XD or any Glock? You say you don't like DASA's, but freely hand out advice on which model is better.

You also say that XD's are more reliable than Glocks. Which do you own, and how many rounds have you put through them?

More specifically, which have you run through a demanding training course? Were you aware that 1500 rounds is a good standard for a semi-auto to handle in maybe a 2 day training course, with (maybe) one cleaning at the halfway mark?

I have, and I know others who have. Glock has the track record, XD does not. If you have an XD that has handled this, then GREAT! More power to you, and i'd like to hear about it!

But to start with "i don't like DASA's" and follow up with "advice" is doing a disservice to the person you are trying to help. Even with the best intentions... Which I really do hope you have.

Last note... from a purely ballistic-table-based standpoint, the benefit gained from .40 S&W is in NO WAY relative to the increased cost of the round. 9mm will do EVERYTHING you need it to. Just buy quality ammo, and you are more then adequately prepared. Don't forget to PRACTICE!! (which that reduced cost will facilitate)

C_C, I hope you take this in the way i intend it, as more information offered to help the OP... Don't forget tone and inflection of voice are hard to convey online... And i'm not very good at it... ;)

mad212
02-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Ok here is the deal, i bought a hipoint 9mm for my girl to shot, $99 bucks plus tax and background check. That gun saw well over 5k in the span of two years, she left, it got sold. Its heavy as hell, stamp steal slide, love the ghost ring sights. Very easy to shoot and very accurate, clean trigger, very short pull, not an ideal ccw gun though. It does take the mag from their carbine which i still have.

Overall the gun was good to teach get her familiar with guns and shooting, but it jammed alot with her limp wristing. And if anybody here has actually field striped it, you'll know that its not a fun process.

The carbine on the other hand, ugly as sin, reliable as anything I have! 9k through it didn't clean it once, I figured what the hell it was cheap. Never had a hang up, ftf, fte or any lose in accuracy to a certain degree. Detail strip is not bad on this one (now I love and baby it), and the price is just right, low recoil, awesome warranty, I don't see how any one could go wrong with this gun.

I could suggest a hell of alot better guns (cheap guns), hell a cheap used sigma from s&w would be better, or maybe a bersa, used glock.

If you plan to keep it for along time, spend the extra cash it will be well worth it.