PDA

View Full Version : California winner takes all ?

m72mc
01-27-2008, 06:22 AM
is this a new rule ??

zahirakids
01-27-2008, 06:28 AM
is this a new rule ??

California is not winner take all. Each Congressional district elects there own delegates. Then who ever wins the overall state vote gets 11 additional delegates.

m72mc
01-27-2008, 06:31 AM
California is not winner take all. Each Congressional district elects there own delegates. Then who ever wins the overall state vote gets 11 additional delegates.
is this not true then ??

http://laist.com/2008/01/27/obama_owned_in.php

In an apparent effort to render Ron Paul irrelevant, the CA Republican Party has decided, for the first time ever, to go with a winner-takes-all approach.

itshappening
01-27-2008, 06:51 AM
I dont think that's correct but it wouldnt surprise me if they changed the rules at the last minute,

JDM
01-27-2008, 07:25 AM
I dont think that's correct but it wouldnt surprise me if they changed the rules at the last minute,

Is it possible that the process is different for Democrats then it is for Republicans?

nodope0695
01-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Winning California is very symolic. Of course CA is going to be one of many states to hold primaries on Feb 5, but winning there carries alot of weight. When Robert Kennedy won California, he was projected to take the nomination for president...however we all know what happened there.

NoLimit
01-27-2008, 07:56 AM
There are a TON of undecideds as well in Cali

Bradley in DC
01-27-2008, 08:10 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=79554

http://www.gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf

Numbers
173 Total Delegates
• 3 RNC, 159 CD and 11 AL
Important Dates
Delegate list submitted to SOS: 1/07/08
Primary: 2/05/08
State Convention: 2/22/08 – 2/24/08
Alternate list submitted to SOS: 3/06/08
Selection Method
Primary

Delegates Bound for 2 ballots

o 170 Bound

o 3 Unbound
Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: Statewide winner- take-all.
Delegate election: Presidential candidates file a slate of AL delegates prior to primary.

CD – Delegate allocation: CD winner-take-all.
Delegate election: Presidential candidates file a slate of CD delegates prior to primary.

zahirakids
01-27-2008, 09:10 AM
everything i have heard says it is decided by cd. If that has changed we need to get confirmation.

Cato58
01-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Is it possible that the process is different for Democrats then it is for Republicans?

Yes, the process is different for Democrats than Republicans.

My understanding of the Democratic primary is that it is winner take all. The Democrats also allow independents to vote in their primary.

Pauls' Revere
02-01-2008, 12:04 AM
CA is NOT, repeat NOT a winner take all.

josh24601
02-01-2008, 02:03 AM
I have no idea how the dems do it and dont' really care.

For the GOP, each congressional district (53 in all I believe) are worth 3 delegates to whomever wins that district.

Win your district, win it's 3 delegates.

anaconda
02-01-2008, 02:17 AM
It is my understanding that the California Republican Party and Democratic Party each make the decision regarding independents in their respective primaries before each election. For Feb. 2008 the Dems decided to allow independents and the Reps decided not to. I had to change my party affiliation so that I can vote for Ron Paul.

ronpaulwinna
02-02-2008, 02:49 AM
But the Problem with California which has already been happening, is that the state is going to be a mess on super Tuesday. Half the votes are coming in by mail!!! 3 candidates dropped out within the past 2 weeks. Hunter which was supposed to get San Diego County dropped after Nevada. Thompson who had a significant percentage of people in the state voting for him dropped out. Ghouliani who had 17% of any potential votes dropped out after Florida.

The percentages that was polled in the media, has some resounding effects. People who casted their voted for either of those candidates lost their votes just by voting for them hella early. So that means the mail in ballots could tell a different story from where we are working on the ground.

Plus we can win places where there are fewer conservative peeps, buts its going to be much harder to track. San Francisco City County would be an easy place to get repubs votes because there are too few of them... thats 3 delegates. Next Door counties could be easier because of liberal influences. We need SoCal to solidify these votes... however the media is shoving down McCain down our throats and covering his fakeness - McCain-Kennedy!!! We need to put that leverage on the people

hueylong
02-02-2008, 02:52 AM
California is winner take all by Congressional District. There are a number of Congressional Districts where we have a shot. Not so much the big Republican areas (Orange County / San Diego / etc). More the not so Republican areas -- SF Bay Area, Oakland/Berkeley -- rural Northern California.

We need every vote we can get, anywhere we can get it in Cali.