PDA

View Full Version : Front page article

RadioDJforPaul
01-27-2008, 01:11 AM
In the Johnson City (TN) Press...

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com

Paul’s people - Odds are, you’ve seen local supporters working to raise Ron Paul’s profile.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/images/Pics/Articles/LPic-RonPaulSupporters.jpg
This supporter of Ron Paul was part of a group that had gathered off Highway 11E in Jonesborough Friday. (Tony Duncan / Johnson City Press)

Gregg Powers
Press Staff Writer
gpowers@johnsoncitypress.com

Discuss This Article in Our Forums

Who is Ron Paul?
You’ve probably seen the signs, the bumper stickers or the fliers around town, but you may not know much about the Republican presidential candidate. That’s why Robert Tester and other local Ron Paul supporters are hitting the streets, getting the word out.

“I am a (1st Congressional District) delegate candidate for Dr. Ron Paul, and personally I feel like he is the only candidate of either party running this year who is honestly worthy of the position of president,” Tester said.

“He understands what’s gone wrong in America, and he has plans to correct it. His personal life, voting record during 10 terms as a congressman, honesty and integrity speak for themselves, and he is incredibly intelligent.”

Tester said Paul and his stands on the issues are getting people who normally don’t participate in politics involved in the process.

“There are a lot of people out there who, like myself, have always been concerned about the country and felt helpless about the political situation. I always felt like I was voting for the lesser of two evils.”

Then Tester found out about Paul.

“I like what he has to say,” Tester said. “He is being honest, sincere and straightforward. When I became familiar with his platform and his voting record, I went from apathetic and disinterested to volunteering to be the coordinator for Washington County.”

And getting the word out is critical.

“Have you wondered why Dr. Paul is pretty much the only candidate that you see any visible support for in our area? There have been concerned citizens volunteering to hold Ron Paul signs on street corners in Johnson City practically every week since July of last year,” Tester said. “They have done many other tasks to spread the word about him, too.”

“Why, you ask, would people do this on their own time?” Tester asked. “Well, they are very knowledgeable about the history of our country and the current state of our federal government, and they are very worried about where we’re headed in the near future if something isn’t done.”

That’s why Tester says it’s important to get the word out on a grass-roots level.

“We spend a lot of time waving signs on the weekends,” Tester said. “It’s always fun to interact with the people and we hope many of them will see the signs and wonder about him. Honestly, you haven’t seen much about Ron Paul in the mainstream media. That’s another reason why we are out with signs and going door to door.”

And Tester is pleased with what he is seeing.

“It’s really amazing to see the folks getting involved,” he said. “One of the reasons for poor voter turnout is that voters are disenchanted. They don’t like anybody who is running and many people don’t trust politicians in general. Honestly, the word ‘politician’ is not a good way to describe Ron Paul. He’s more of a statesman. It’s aggravating to me that the media in general seems like it is almost trying to keep the message from getting out.”