PDA

View Full Version : Paul @ 6% in MO & My Take On It

derdy
01-26-2008, 09:35 PM
I posted this in another thread, but my post includes grassroots activity, so here it is:

We made calls for six hours today and we didn't come across a single huckabee supporter. We did come across a majority of undecideds and VERY pissed off people who have never heard of Ron Paul. :D

There have been some Mitt Romney signs popping up around my city (home to this beatufiul billboard LINK (http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/derdy01/Billboard.jpg)) and a meetup member ran into the guys putting the signs out. They said they put out 100.

Oh yeah, they were from Utah on Mormon church duty :rolleyes:

A guy we were making calls with today said his friend was at a stoplight and the guy in the car in front of him, got out of his car, took down a Ron Paul sign and replaced it with a Romney sign. His friend got out of his car and took down the Romney sign and had a little stare down until the light turned green. So there ended up being no sign there.

We just got a TON of signs from campaign and they're going up everywhere. We got about 15,000 Slim Jims, at least 8-9 different kinds, and all kinds of supplies. We're armed to the teeth. People are canvassing their neighborhoods and we have a call center setup to make calls.

I had brand spanking new people call me (I'm the St. Charles County Precinct Coordinator (not HQ)) and they came by and picked up materials for canvassing.

Last night we had precinct parties throughout the Eastern Region of MO. At the party I went to we had like 5,000 bags that have a hole for placing on door knobs. We had a candidate comparison sheet that needed to be folded and about 5,000 copies or something ridiculous. We folded for about 30 minutes and a new meetup member showed up and said he had a machine that could do it automatically. The guy who owned the house was given a hand-me-dwon industrial laser printer and probably printed 7000 copies of all kinds of stuff.

We had people putting stuff in bags getting ready to canvass for today.

Then we went out for drinks. I got up at 9:30am and got ready to go to the call center at 10:30am-4:30pm.

The call center is awesome. We feed off eachothers successes and we have a whiteboard where we compete to see who can get the most undecideds that want literature and who can dig out the most Ron Paul supporters. It's all a numbers game. :D

Out of all of our calls we only found Romney, Giuliani, Clinton, Obama and Edwards supporters. Edwards and Obama supporters were mostly not committed and are great targets for conversion.

It's been a great couple of days and tomorrow I go back to the call center for another 6 hours.

Paul will do very well in MO. It's an open primary here too.

-Denny

freedom-maniac
01-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Sehr Gut!

literatim
01-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Great job, keep up the good work. :)

rollingpig
01-26-2008, 09:41 PM
we salute you!

FSP-Rebel
01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Plus, you guys have all those billboards...

ProfNo
01-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Awesome!

My dad lives in MO and I think I have converted him to Ron Paul :)

The biggest hurdle for him was the whole "he can't win" bull. NV helped to get him past that.

derdy
01-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Awesome!

My dad lives in MO and I think I have converted him to Ron Paul :)

The biggest hurdle for him was the whole "he can't win" bull. NV helped to get him past that.

We got a lot of that. A great rebuttle was mentioning NV and LA. We also used the number of meetup groups around the country and that they were all doing the same thing that we were. Also pointing out that the media constantly says Rudy Giuliani is a "front-runner" yet he hasn't placed higher than 4th in any state and has only beat Ron Paul once by a small margin.

Give me liberty
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Great work.

Revolution9
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Good job Derdy. You and the folks down there are doing a slam dunk job. Thank you..

Best
Randy

jacmicwag
01-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Keep it up guys - and thanks.

P Campbell
01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm in Springfield. I've only seen one Huckabee sign and one Hillary sign in my precinct. Some Obama supporters have been canvassing the precinct, but it looks as though they're being very selective about which houses they leave literature at, meaning very few houses on each block (I hit every house on the street.)

I'd say there is more Huckabee support than evidenced by yard signs :(

Our meetup recently started running ads in the local papers in outlying towns (more rural) where it is harder to canvass.

specsaregood
01-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I would assume that Romney has a nice base of support by the LDS and RLDS members. Big base of them in/around Independence, MO.

By "open", does that mean democrats can vote in the Republican primary also?

chrismatthews
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
salute

derdy
01-26-2008, 10:33 PM
I would assume that Romney has a nice base of support by the LDS and RLDS members. Big base of them in/around Independence, MO.

By "open", does that mean democrats can vote in the Republican primary also?

Yes. There is no party registration with the State of MO. The only thing that makes you a Democrat or Republican in the eyes of MO is what ballot you ask for at the primaries and general elections.

AlexMerced
01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Organization is key on super Tuesday, I doubt we'l get first in most states but i think some shocking 3rd/2nd places can be one due to what will probably be severely lacking turnout.

trey4sports
01-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes. There is no party registration with the State of MO. The only thing that makes you a Democrat or Republican in the eyes of MO is what ballot you ask for at the primaries and general elections.

i live in Kansas City Missouri (actually, just right outside of KC) and name recognition is pitiful. no one knows who the hell ron paul is, i hate being pessimistic but please, dont get your hopes up on missouri. Id say 6 % tops......

bcreps85
I live in this area as well, and have also seen people either taking down or stomping on Ron Paul signs, which makes me very angry. I don't have a lot of time to canvas due to work and school, but I spend every spare moment I have converting friends, family, and people I work with and randomly come across both here in MO, and when I go see my family in IL.

I'm to the point where I'm ready to start vandalizing the signs of every other candidate I see.

cyrax
Great job, keep up the good work. :)

derdy
01-26-2008, 10:39 PM
i live in Kansas City Missouri (actually, just right outside of KC) and name recognition is pitiful. no one knows who the hell ron paul is, i hate being pessimistic but please, dont get your hopes up on missouri. Id say 6 % tops......

That's why we're canvassing. He'll do much better than 6%.

slacker921
01-26-2008, 10:45 PM
"I'm to the point where I'm ready to start vandalizing the signs of every other candidate I see." .. . . please don't. Put the signs up on personal property and have the perps arrested if possible. Video on Youtube would be a bonus. But pulling down signs from other candidates is not a good thing.

trey4sports
01-26-2008, 10:48 PM
That's why we're canvassing. He'll do much better than 6%.

i really hope so. Ive scheduled a SLim Jim drive (as i refer to it) for monday with me and another friend going door to door with about 300 slim jims, hopefully that will help my precinct

do you remember if Mo is winner take all? i believe it is but im not sure off the top of my head

P Campbell
01-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I live in this area as well, and have also seen people either taking down or stomping on Ron Paul signs...

There was actually a drive by shooting of one supporter's sign here in town:eek:
Some people are just nuts.

I double dog dare someone to come take the sign out of my yard.

derdy
01-26-2008, 10:51 PM
i really hope so. Ive scheduled a SLim Jim drive (as i refer to it) for monday with me and another friend going door to door with about 300 slim jims, hopefully that will help my precinct

do you remember if Mo is winner take all? i believe it is but im not sure off the top of my head

Yes, MO Is winner take all.

Springfield, MO has been COMPLETELY canvassed 100%. They started almost a year ago.

Ron Paul is also listed first on the Republican ballot and that will benefit him in areas with a lot of signs and billboards, like the eight we have around these parts.

derdy
01-26-2008, 10:52 PM
There was actually a drive by shooting of one supporter's sign here in town:eek:
Some people are just nuts.

I double dog dare someone to come take the sign out of my yard.

Can you verify that you're 100% canvassed?

trey4sports
01-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Springfield, MO has been COMPLETELY canvassed 100%. They started almost a year ago.

Ron Paul is also listed first on the Republican ballot and that will benefit him in areas with a lot of signs and billboards, like the eight we have around these parts.

wow, very nice. im actually going to MSU in the fall so ill be helping out with the canvassing for the general election in springfield then. Ive talked to friends in my little hometown right outside of springfield (dadeville, MO population 275 or so) and they told me "were votin for the revrend miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike huckabeeeee" so i did my best to enlighten them, well see

trey4sports
01-26-2008, 11:00 PM

wow, very nice. im actually going to MSU in the fall so ill be helping out with the canvassing for the general election in springfield then. Ive talked to friends in my little hometown right outside of springfield (dadeville, MO population 275 or so) and they told me "were votin for the revrend miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike huckabeeeee" so i did my best to enlighten them, well see

tpreitzel
01-26-2008, 11:07 PM
A guy we were making calls with today said his friend was at a stoplight and the guy in the car in front of him, got out of his car, took down a Ron Paul sign and replaced it with a Romney sign. His friend got out of his car and took down the Romney sign and had a little stare down until the light turned green. So there ended up being no sign there.

ROFL ... emotions are running a bit high on all sides...

DDMX
01-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Great job, keep it up.

Suzu
01-27-2008, 12:41 AM
They real key to winning MO isn't Feb. 5th, it's March 15th when we choose delegates. Be sure to hold onto your lists of RP supporters and remind them to show up for the county caucuses, because, although it's a winner take all state, the delegates can vote as they wish after the first round at the convention. So we want to fill those seats with Ron Paul delegates.