PDA

View Full Version : Tall

MsDoodahs
01-26-2008, 07:54 PM

cheese
01-26-2008, 07:58 PM
amen

we need to convince people RP is the only conservative candidate. this is a trump over all issues. if we win this marketing battle we will win the base, and all ages.

Arklatex
01-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm 24 and agree with you. Sadly the older folks only watch Fox News for their info, I don't know how we can reach out more to this group, someone from this older age group needs to step up with the plan.

steve005
01-26-2008, 08:01 PM
bump

uncloned21
01-26-2008, 08:02 PM
woo! how old are you?

uncloned21
01-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm 24 and agree with you. Sadly the older folks only watch Fox News for their info, I don't know how we can reach out more to this group, someone from this older age group needs to step up with the plan.

Pretty much!

Gustogus
01-26-2008, 08:03 PM
I agree with this nice lady....

The bathing part is a good idea too..I support bathing..and remember to wash behind your ears.

integrity
01-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Yes Maam, I'll get right on it!

Shink
01-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I disagree that I'll magically go to church when I'm 60, as my convictions are what they are, but I agree with the premise of your post. Well done. THINK HARD ABOUT THIS, FOLKS.

Sandy
01-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Ms. Doodahs, I've said similar things that you have. Thanks for reiterating what needs to be said, regardless of what kind of response you may get from some who frequent this board.

Thank you for your wisdom, and everyone get out and vote in FL on Tuesday!!!

the_bee
01-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Hit the nail right on the head:D

matthylland
01-26-2008, 08:08 PM
I agree with you. Too much immaturity is a reason why we are not in the lead of the polls.

I think you may be surprised how much impact a few select people could have.

mugen
01-26-2008, 08:10 PM
agreed.

TexMac
01-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Dang, you're mean.:D

driller80545
01-26-2008, 08:14 PM
My experience is that old people are scared of the terrorists. They are not scared of the economy failing. Not here in America. Impossible. I'm not saying they are right, I'm saying that is the way they are.
We must convince old folks that RP's foriegn policy will make them safer, and it will. They also must be convinced that leaving Iraq is not surrender and another war lost.
They can be convinced, I have done it. But it is not a quick fix and must be proven with logic, not noise. They will listen if you speak logically, but as soon as you become aggressive in any percieved way, they are gone. Its like foreplay, the gentler you are, the farther you're gonna get.

familydog
01-26-2008, 08:17 PM
+10000000000

Arklatex
01-26-2008, 08:18 PM
someone from this older age group needs to step up with the plan.

Either we figure out how to accomplish this, or we have to wait for the younger generation to age before we can have a POTUS like Ron Paul.

mavtek
01-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I picked up a senior newspaper, maybe we should get some ads related to seniors?

uncloned21
01-26-2008, 08:22 PM
My experience is that old people are scared of the terrorists. They are not scared of the economy failing. Not here in America. Impossible. I'm not saying they are right, I'm saying that is the way they are.
We must convince old folks that RP's foriegn policy will make them safer, and it will. They also must be convinced that leaving Iraq is not surrender and another war lost.
They can be convinced, I have done it. But it is not a quick fix and must be proven with logic, not noise. They will listen if you speak logically, but as soon as you become aggressive in any percieved way, they are gone. Its like foreplay, the gentler you are, the farther you're gonna get.

You just compared winning a senior to Ron Paul with enticing your partner to sex.

RPTXState
01-26-2008, 08:25 PM
This can all be summed up thusly:

TARGET THE BASE

NOT THE ANTI-WAR VOTE
NOT KIUCINICH SUPPORTERS
NOT 420
NOT TRUTHERS
NOT YOUNG PEOPLE (UNDER 35)

If we cannot win the base, we cannot win primaries. We NEED 5 WINS (not 5 second-places) TO EVEN BE ALLOWED TO QUALIFY FOR THE CONVENTION.

So target older, conservative voters. Upper class voters, guys with CASH and CONNECTIONS.

Cyclone
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Then boy, you have never tried to live on a fixed income. Are you out of your mind? They ain't gonna be drafted. Most of them live in places where a terrorist would have to be bored out of his mind to go. ALL they care about is whether or not their money is going to make it to the end of their life or if they are going to go broke before they die. That is a big worry, and when you are unable to work anymore you will understand it.

I just have to say this. When you write for Ron Paul or go door to door for him, be professional and that includes using SPELL CHECK when you post. This whole board is full of illiterates and it makes us all look bad. I before E except after C. Perceived. Foreign is one of the exceptions where the E comes before the I.

The people on this board don't know the difference between its and it's, their, there and they're, your and you're. These are things I learned in second grade. I would not have gotten past fourth grade spelling like that. And today you have computers to spell for you and check your grammar.

jjockers
01-26-2008, 08:27 PM
You just compared winning a senior to Ron Paul with enticing your partner to sex.

+1

bump, excellent post!

Should make a checklist before heading out to canvas :)

Abyss
01-26-2008, 08:27 PM

Now if we can make winning seniors as popular as sex. ;)

anyway bump

driller80545
01-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Yes, and both can very difficult and take lots of diplomacy.

Sey.Naci
01-26-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm 24 and agree with you. Sadly the older folks only watch Fox News for their info, I don't know how we can reach out more to this group, someone from this older age group needs to step up with the plan.Well there you go generalizing. THIS 'older folk' has NEVER watched Fox News. Indeed, for most of my life that network wasn't around. Since people tend to stick with what's familiar, it's quite possible that we old ones have been watching more of ABC, CBS, and NBC instead of FOX.

BreakYourChains
01-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Bump

MsDoodahs
01-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Either we figure out how to accomplish this, or we have to wait for the younger generation to age before we can have a POTUS like Ron Paul.

And herein lies the problem: the younger generation is trapped within the system (think Social Security) and by the time you've aged, you have paid in sooooo much money that you will no longer WANT the system to be changed because if it does get changed, you'll be shortchanged.

driller80545
01-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Then boy, you have never tried to live on a fixed income. Are you out of your mind? They ain't gonna be drafted. Most of them live in places where a terrorist would have to be bored out of his mind to go. ALL they care about is whether or not their money is going to make it to the end of their life or if they are going to go broke before they die. That is a big worry, and when you are unable to work anymore you will understand it.

I just have to say this. When you write for Ron Paul or go door to door for him, be professional and that includes using SPELL CHECK when you post. This whole board is full of illiterates and it makes us all look bad. I before E except after C. Perceived. Foreign is one of the exceptions where the E comes before the I.

The people on this board don't know the difference between its and it's, their, there and they're, your and you're. These are things I learned in second grade. I would not have gotten past fourth grade spelling like that. And today you have computers to spell for you and check your grammar.

I am retired and live on a fixed income. and no longer interested in spelling bees.

Abyss
01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
And herein lies the problem: the younger generation is trapped within the system (think Social Security) and by the time you've aged, you have paid in sooooo much money that you will no longer WANT the system to be changed because if it does get changed, you'll be shortchanged.

That is why we need to explain that they will NOT be shortchanged. We can get the youth out (which is what they wanted before) and keep them going (even better) if we bring the troops home.

phree
01-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Well for starters...

"Now stop your whining and go think of ways to correct this crap."

I'm sure you all know some old people. Use them for inspiration.

PS. I love you MsDoodahs ma'am.

virgil47
01-26-2008, 08:44 PM
MSDOODAH, you are a woman after my own heart. I believe we are most likely in the same age group and have had similar life experiences. I truly hope the young movers and shakers in the Ron Paul grassroots see the light and start trying to recruit more and more older americans. They should all memorize your post and then make use of that information to become proactive in the recruitment of their grandparents, neighbors and local senior citizens.

pcosmar
01-26-2008, 08:44 PM
I got to speak my mind on this.
I agree with the spirit of your post. More attention needs to go to getting older voters.
But before I do that, well this is me. I am 50 and my wife is 62.

http://jamadots.com/~pcosmar/photos/photogallery/37-me_and_carol_jpg.jpeg

I have gotten upset at people bashing the young people, for their zeal, passion or enthusiasm.
There are many "older" supporters that are also loud and proud. I met some at Mackinac Island that were older than me.
I have spoken to folks in my area, My Pastor likes Ron Paul but won't preach it from the pulpit.
Some in my church like him, some are convinced that he has no chance.
And the real unfortunate reality is that some are just STUPID. I know I have spoken to them, and can find no logical thinking process. They think Rudy is Conservative , cause they say so on TV.
Many do not use computers.
Until they see him ON TV, all day long. they are not going to consider him a candidate.
They will not research, they do not think. They will be herded.
It sucks, but it is true.
My 82 year old mother is intelligent, She looked at the material,and she watched the first debate.
"he was the only one that made any sense." was her response.
Some people get it.
I don't see people getting turned off of Rons Message by some loud kids, most folks don't care.
I agree that we should be the best ambassadors we can, but at the end of the day it comes down to the message and not the delivery.
Some people just don't get it.

LionHeart87
01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
bump for significance

Spirit of '76
01-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Thread of the month.

driller80545
01-26-2008, 08:51 PM
I spend a lot of time with "old" people and do find that they get most of their info from media. But they can be convinced with the facts if you are willing to treat them with respect.
PS. This post not proof read for mistakes in grammar

Cyclone
01-26-2008, 08:52 PM
I am retired and live on a fixed income. and no longer interested in spelling bees.

So are you more interested in being safe (foreign policy) or keeping your money safe? (SS, inflation tax, the economy in general). I am in your shoes as well and for me it is no contest. I am dead without the money for sure, I don't know if I will ever get hit by a terrorist. How about you?

FreeTraveler
01-26-2008, 08:52 PM
You're preachin' to the choir, here, MsDoodahs, but thanks for such a great sermon! If all the young ones would polish up a little and go visit the local retirement centers and senior citizen centers for a couple of hours, Ron Paul would be winning. As an "oldie" of sorts myself (55) I appreciate what you had to say about scaring folks, too. Myself, I'm likely to be out there chanting and chasin' myself, but it won't be around old folks, and it won't be in front of cameras!

Cyclone
01-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I spend a lot of time with "old" people and do find that they get most of their info from media. But they can be convinced with the facts if you are willing to treat them with respect.
PS. This post not proof read for mistakes in grammar

Clearly or you would have known that both post and script are abbreviated and therefore you need a period after the P as well as the S and sentences end in periods. :D

freedom-maniac
01-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Bump...for...whatever.

imaginegirl
01-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I wholeheartedly AGREE. Our months of research & a well-written article turned my liberal grandmother around (who only cares about her Social Security check)... check here for what we discussed with her:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=102207

& use it on your own "old folks"! We're printing out copies she can give all her old lady friends at church.. & you know how those older ladies find out everything about everybody. Get it in their hands & it could spread like wildfire. And if they're like my grandma, they'll have time to read the entire thing, so don't worry about how long it is. (above thread).

Oh - "their" is another one of those I before E exceptions... yeah, I'm an editor & it drives me crazy, too. ;)

Mark
01-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Dang, you're mean.:D

She knows enough to tell what you should do. Especially about being a Christian.

Bradley in DC
01-26-2008, 08:59 PM
MsD's a troublemaker! :)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1085082&postcount=5

driller80545
01-26-2008, 08:59 PM
So are you more interested in being safe (foreign policy) or keeping your money safe? (SS, inflation tax, the economy in general). I am in your shoes as well and for me it is no contest. I am dead without the money for sure, I don't know if I will ever get hit by a terrorist. How about you?

No, cyclone, I am not afraid of terrorists. I am more afraid of getting struck by lightning. I am just trying to relate my experiences while trying to convince older folks. I am not as concerned with the economy as some may be because I have seen this downfall coming for a long time and have protected my retirement money. Most of the old people that I know refuse to believe the seriousness of this economy and so therefore are not as worried. But the media and GWB have convinced them that they need to be afraid of muslims. I know it sounds crazy, but it is the feedback that I get. Especially crazy to me knowing that these same people witnessed Russia and all the stupid propoganda that came with the cold war. The cold war was much more intense but they seem to not remember that.

driller80545
01-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Clearly or you would have known that both post and script are abbreviated and therefore you need a period after the P as well as the S and sentences end in periods. :D

Were you or are you a damn school teacher. I have never been any good at this, not even in the fourth grade. Haha

godawgs
01-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Your post was a waste of time. Not because you do not bring up great points that are specific to elements of the campaign, but you misunderstand all of THIS. The fact that any of THIS exists right now is because of the crazy and ecletic group of people that came together on this Ron Paul banner. All of THIS exists because of the snowball throwers, the worrisome posters, the yellers...

Here is the problem I have with your post and similiar ones. The failure of this campaign to generate higher polling numbers has NOTHING to do with anything you complained about:

- posts in this forum
- sign wavers
- chasing hannity
- washing our hair

If anything, the supporters gave this campaign a chance to have a chance. Thinkiing you are going to turn everyone into zombies is silly. Let me just say this again, the failure of this campaign to generate higher polling numbers has NOTHING to do with anything you complained about

Have fun, this is a great time. Old folks know Guiliani and McCain and are going to vote for those two guys whether we walk around in our Sunday best or not.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Bump for truth!

ddoggphx
01-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Great post, even if some will hate it.

This thing is about winning. At least that's why I put my money into it.

Revolution9
01-26-2008, 09:15 PM
I got to speak my mind on this.
I agree with the spirit of your post. More attention needs to go to getting older voters.
But before I do that, well this is me. I am 50 and my wife is 62.

http://jamadots.com/~pcosmar/photos/photogallery/37-me_and_carol_jpg.jpeg

I have gotten upset at people bashing the young people, for their zeal, passion or enthusiasm.
There are many "older" supporters that are also loud and proud. I met some at Mackinac Island that were older than me.
I have spoken to folks in my area, My Pastor likes Ron Paul but won't preach it from the pulpit.
Some in my church like him, some are convinced that he has no chance.
And the real unfortunate reality is that some are just STUPID. I know I have spoken to them, and can find no logical thinking process. They think Rudy is Conservative , cause they say so on TV.
Many do not use computers.
Until they see him ON TV, all day long. they are not going to consider him a candidate.
They will not research, they do not think. They will be herded.
It sucks, but it is true.
My 82 year old mother is intelligent, She looked at the material,and she watched the first debate.
"he was the only one that made any sense." was her response.
Some people get it.
I don't see people getting turned off of Rons Message by some loud kids, most folks don't care.
I agree that we should be the best ambassadors we can, but at the end of the day it comes down to the message and not the delivery.
Some people just don't get it.

Good to see your face. I am 50 as well but I am a rock and roller and folks think I am my son's brother. So I do not get to carry that look of I have been around buddy. I am probably hard core conservatve in most of my beliefs but get pegged as a liberal because of my dress code.( I dress very nicely but not corporate. I wear suit jackets and polished boots and shoes) but.. I am like..uhh.no..Degeneracy is not part of my paradigm thanks. i was taught philosophy not by the MSM but by the classical thinkers. I have enough street smarts and experience to understand wbhy certain behaviours are called sins and how they warp you. Now.. I do not think I should be canvassing door tpo door..in the square yes....Not because do not shower or dress up but I am just one of those folks with a face (see avatar). Interestingly at the rallies it has been the hard core conservative republicans who have hovered by me asking me numerous questions and my opinion on this that and the other. It helps I have some local fame as the premier landmark sculptor and most know my work.

As for disrespecting old people here in the US. It is a damned shame how older folks/senior citizens get treated and farmed out to nursing homes by their families. Very unnatural if one is to review the other cultures on the earth and their histories.

As for older folks disrespecting youngsters and forgetting how it is to be passionate about a cause and young and thinking yer gonna change the world.. Give the youngsters a break. I straddle the two worlds myself and will defend either against the ravagings of the other. We were all young once or still are and we are all going to get old if we stay outta traffics way.

Be good. remain true to yourself ( something nobody mentions but Ron would wish for) and do not get discouraged.. You are making history.

best
Randy

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 09:20 PM
The clean Mormon that started the gay marriage mess in the United States, the veteran that makes racy comments, or the preacher that is constantly making off colored morbid ones about opponents who should slit their wrists, or voters who will wind up dead like the ducks he shot if they don't vote for him, when his son isn't torturing a dog to death in boy scout camp? This *isn't* scary?

Although bad behavior is never approved of, we should do the right thing because it is the right thing, not because others will view us better. I guarantee the media and the devil will keep calling us so many names no matter what we do or how perfect we are, because Jesus Christ was perfect, and they called him Bezzabulb.

But God blesses, so do the right thing because of Him. Do not do the right thing to please wicked people, because there is no blessing there.

Second, I don't think throwing a snow ball at a scoundrel is a bad thing. If "old people" are afraid of that, then old people better get out of the country that use to tar and feather soundrels. But at least my mother isn't like that. She's an old fashioned American.

If you are going to keep on moving every message out of the main forum so that actual sick things the other candidates are doing is hid, and then make mountains out of molehills out of throwing a SNOWBALL, maybe you shouldnt just relax! Because the other candidates wouldn't look so good if you didn't hide their problems all the time, but your pecking at dust spots and ignoring planks.

The problem is not that we are not good enough. The problem is we're trying to please men not God. If you're trying to please God, you'll focus on your own relationship with him, not other supporters.

Last - if you really have to find fault, I have 4 other people that it would be a lot more valuable to do so with. Torturing dogs or snowballs. Its your choice. :cool:

tamor
01-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Would it help for Carol Paul to speak to the older crowd? I think she would tell it like it is and could relate the them pretty well. any ideas?

TexFootballMom
01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I made a suggestion to the young people a few days ago.

It's just one idea.

Set up something with some of the retirement homes. Take a group.
Entertain them. A lot of you are musically inclined and creative.
Play some music, but keep it mild. Visit with them and make them laugh.
Then have someone speak to them about Ron Paul and what he stands for.
Answer their questions. Then when it is all said and done, offer rides to the precinct for them to vote. Make them some goodies to eat. etc etc Make sure you take voter registration cards in case they are not registered.

Just a thought.:rolleyes:

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Ms. Doodahs, I've said similar things that you have. Thanks for reiterating what needs to be said, regardless of what kind of response you may get from some who frequent this board.

Thank you for your wisdom, and everyone get out and vote in FL on Tuesday!!!

Here's another self - abasement thread.

RockEnds
01-26-2008, 09:28 PM
:)

Well, I don't know about getting closer to God as one gets closer to meeting his maker. Nonetheless, the boomers are a brand of their own. I'll give you that.

I will say this, though. Many of the people I spoke with here were either old or evangelicals. In both cases, they liked seeing the involvement of the young people. They liked the momentum we have. Their problem was electablility. Some of the old people are bigger conspiracy theorists than anyone here. They really don't believe 'they' will let someone with real moral convictions win. They've lived a long time and seen alot of things. But they've never seen an honest man win the presidency. It was an obstacle.

I'm still having a conversation with a local GOP person who is debating with himself about whether it's better to give his support to a candidate with whom he agrees on principle (Dr. Paul) or one who might stand a chance to get the nomination (I don't know who he is considering). He's an evangelical. He was a Thompson supporter. He doesn't like Huckabee's socialism.

I've never, ever personally experienced anyone express a problem with the Revolution banners except people within the Ron Paul movement. I'm not saying others don't exist. I've just never met anyone.

I watched the press label us as rowdy at the DesMoines rally in June for doing nothing more than holding signs outside and cheering during a speech. Little old ladies from the 'other' event did look as if they were offended because we stood and cheered when Dr. Paul said he wanted to bring our kids home. I don't care if they were offended or not. My kid was over there. I was damned glad to hear someone say it. I was offended that they were offended, so we were even.

At the Straw Poll, the press accused Ron Paul supporters of being too rambunctious also. They must have seen something I didn't see. I only saw people displaying pride in their candidate. None of the other candidates had that kind of support. I saw their criticism as nothing more than jealousy.

I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to cause real trouble. But things get blown out of proportion frequently.

Just try to remember that every single person you meet is a potential Ron Paul supporter. They may not convert today, but you never know what may happen in the future. Be respectful toward people, but stand your ground. There's a responsible balance.

driller80545
01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Would it help for Carol Paul to speak to the older crowd? I think she would tell it like it is and could relate the them pretty well. any ideas?

I think this would be a very good idea. And I would like to say that, in this post, I have been trying to relate how I think we can connect with older voters. I in no way have meant to criticize the younger people on our team. Their tactics are usually inspiring and sometimes downright funny. Sliding down the hill on the sheriff's sign, that one was priceless.

crazyfingers
01-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't disagree with your post (except for the church part), but I think the real problem lies not with the fervent (and sometimes misguided) supporters but with the campaigns inability to communicate the message effectively to a general audience. Still, even if we don't win this one, the fact that there are so many young people who care about the Constitution and know what true freedom is gives me hope going forward.

Unfortunately, as much as it hurts to say, I don't think we can expect the same people (older voters) who got us into this mess to get us out.

bluemarkets
01-26-2008, 09:35 PM
good post, some people need to hear this ...

I remember a few weeks back, we had a family get together, about 5-6 aunts uncles as well as my parents were all sitting around the table, (all baby boomers)

and then I started talking about the economy, inflation, the devaluation of the dollar. and the questions kept coming, "well what should we do about medicare", "why is the subprime mortgage problem so bad and how did it start", "what is the best solution for the illegals", etc...

not one of them had a clue how our whole monetary system works, when I explained how we "bailout" companies by giving them billions of dollars printed out of thin air, my mom replied "well thats dumb, why do we do that?"

educate yourselves, have logical discussions with people older than you, ask them what is their pet issue and give them Ron's position, 9 times out of 10 they will agree... it is the message

just my 2 cents

MsDoodahs
01-26-2008, 09:36 PM

EXCELLENT idea! :)

hueylong
01-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Take a bath. Shave. Comb your hair.

Stop acting like an *sshole.

Probably the most important post in the history of the campaign.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Your post was a waste of time. Not because you do not bring up great points that are specific to elements of the campaign, but you misunderstand all of THIS. The fact that any of THIS exists right now is because of the crazy and ecletic group of people that came together on this Ron Paul banner. All of THIS exists because of the snowball throwers, the worrisome posters, the yellers...

Here is the problem I have with your post and similiar ones. The failure of this campaign to generate higher polling numbers has NOTHING to do with anything you complained about:

- posts in this forum
- sign wavers
- chasing hannity
- washing our hair

If anything, the supporters gave this campaign a chance to have a chance. Thinkiing you are going to turn everyone into zombies is silly. Let me just say this again, the failure of this campaign to generate higher polling numbers has NOTHING to do with anything you complained about

Have fun, this is a great time. Old folks know Guiliani and McCain and are going to vote for those two guys whether we walk around in our Sunday best or not.

Let me try to stave off another self abasement thread, and I'm completely serious when I say that is PART of the problem. Its a sin to be a man pleaser, but not set your whole self to pleasing God. That is a problem. I'd rather lose the election then lose being right before the Lord. When I see any thread that puts as its premise we need to change the way we act because we want to change the election, not because its just the right thing, then its off to the wrong start right now.

Now, here is what I learned from MsDoohDahs message about how to treat old folks so we act like them and they will respect us.

The problem is we are coodling them too much!

Here is the insight I gleaned :D

I might insult most of you, but most of you are spoiled rotten, and caused the mess we are in. You didn't take responsibility for your actions when people told you for over thirty years it would cause what it would cause, and you'll still not taking responsibility. Well, you are surely are being given one last chance to repent. And if you are going to church, and are afraid of dying, rest assured God does punish those who do such wickedness in life.

The government officials are our public servants. You have full responsibility as a master to make up the evil actions they may do. Stop pointing the finger at the government, because on the judegement day, they aren't going to be there to point at.

------

Now, you see, I started out just as silly as MsDoohDahs message, but I couldn't keep it up. It is serious. And maybe, we should stop coodling. Surely, a few sins of the people messages neeed to be preached.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 09:43 PM

The same suggestion goes to everyone. As if only the young people should be canvasing or talking to people :rolleyes:

I think *that* is part of the problem.

driller80545
01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Haha I thought you wanted to WIN the election.

SWATH
01-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I think in order to win the older vote Ron's gotta get on tv. My grandparents only watch Fox News, their main issue is killing the Arabs before they kill us and forcing the rest of them to be wholesome Ozzie and Harriets for their own good. I can't get through to them. All I hear is "he want's to leave Iraq, he must be a liberal", "he can't win", "I don't know, I never see him on the news", "I heard Hannity say he got all that money from George Soros and credit card scams", "I like some of what he says but he can't win, I never see him on tv". Unbelievably frustrating the stranglehold the media has. It's like they can't believe their own eyes until they receive validation from the media.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 09:50 PM

Well, I don't know about getting closer to God as one gets closer to meeting his maker. Nonetheless, the boomers are a brand of their own. I'll give you that.

I will say this, though. Many of the people I spoke with here were either old or evangelicals. In both cases, they liked seeing the involvement of the young people. They liked the momentum we have. Their problem was electablility. Some of the old people are bigger conspiracy theorists than anyone here. They really don't believe 'they' will let someone with real moral convictions win. They've lived a long time and seen alot of things. But they've never seen an honest man win the presidency. It was an obstacle.

I ran across the same thing on electibility. I told her it was a moral issue, because it is a moral issue. Saying you are going to vote for someone because they are 'electability' is the same thing as voting for what the majority thinks, not what is right or wrong.

Its at the very heart of right or wrong. I told her she should do the right thing, and not just because everyone is doing it. I wanted to say do what God wants you to do.

She seemed to respond well.

Seems basic morality like doing something just because it is right needs to be preached to the older people. That is the un-addressed moral issue.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I made a suggestion to the young people a few days ago.

I have one suggestion - and I'm not young or old. HAVE ABOUT YOU OLD PEOPLE MEETING WITH OTHER PEOPLE OF YOUR AGE :rolleyes:

Revolution9
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
EXCELLENT idea! :)

Carol rocks. All the older ladies would respect her and the grandpa type guys would admre her spunk and probably wish their wife was a little more like her.. She exudes Mom America and apple pie. She can speak to the older ladies interests in the homecrafts and how our young ladies miss out on it and would love it.

The question is..how do we get her speaking to the older crowd? She hasn't got enough time for personal stumping visits to enoguh people.

However a DVD drop to Senior Citizen homes and communities right before their primaries could work if coordinated with the various state meetup organisations, loosely knit though they are. If you visit old folks homes ask if you can bring along your pets..It will brighten their faces.Take your music instruments and play them some tunes. they will love you for it..

Best
Randy

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I've never, ever personally experienced anyone express a problem with the Revolution banners except people within the Ron Paul movement. I'm not saying others don't exist. I've just never met anyone.

Its self abasement. Huck has hucksarmy, you never hear it mentioned as anything.
Biblically, this is pecking at specks of dust while ignoring the logs in your own eyes.

In example, the log in the original post in the thread, as amusing as it might be,
was all the cussing at people while telling them to behave properly. :rolleyes:

We have too many drama queens around here. One thing we could improve on is
to cut down on chatty threads like this, and find some way of not moving relevant
threads off grassroots, or burying them in posts like this - ie improve our news
dispersion to everyone.

Each of us individually is wasting an enormous amount of time getting real news and information - multiplied by everyone that is a lot. If we can improve that, it will help alot.

hueylong
01-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I think the post was directed at people canvassing, waving signs, etc.

The old people in the campaign already know how to act.

RockEnds
01-26-2008, 09:59 PM
I ran across the same thing on electibility. I told her it was a moral issue, because it is a moral issue. Saying you are going to vote for someone because they are 'electability' is the same thing as voting for what the majority thinks, not what is right or wrong.

Its at the very heart of right or wrong. I told her she should do the right thing, and not just because everyone is doing it. I wanted to say do what God wants you to do.

She seemed to respond well.

Seems basic morality like doing something just because it is right needs to be preached to the older people. That is the un-addressed moral issue.

I'm not the only one prompting him to vote his conscience. But I like your suggestion about judgment day! I might have to use that one. Maybe not quite so bluntly. :p But I like the approach. I have until the next caucus in March.

He did start off as a Huckabee supporter. His daughter and my son were in the same class at school. We pulled our kids and began homeschooling at the same time over problems with the same teacher. After a long conversation about socialism in schools, he left the Huckabee camp. There's still hope. He does have a conscience, and that's a start!

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm not the only one prompting him to vote his conscience. But I like your suggestion about judgment day! I might have to use that one. Maybe not quite so bluntly. :p But I like the approach. I have until the next caucus in March.

He did start off as a Huckabee supporter. His daughter and my son were in the same class at school. We pulled our kids and began homeschooling at the same time over problems with the same teacher. After a long conversation about socialism in schools, he left the Huckabee camp. There's still hope. He does have a conscience, and that's a start!

Conscience is what really needs to be preached. Thats the real problem.

newmedia4ron
01-26-2008, 10:09 PM
agree with the first post

Bossobass
01-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Just mails them a flyer that reads the truth:

Alan Greenspan August, 2004:

"Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said Friday that the country will face "abrupt and painful" choices if Congress does not move quickly to trim the Social Security and Medicare benefits that have been promised to the baby boom generation.

"Greenspan has repeatedly this year addressed the looming crisis in Social Security and Medicare, a development that the presidential candidates have chosen to virtually ignore given the painful choices that will likely be presented to the next president."

Ron's the only member of Congress or the senate who has never voted to touch a dime of Social Security.

Ron's the only candidate who has pledged to keep Social Security solvent, and has a real plan to do so, with real numbers to back it up.

"Solvency is the key to keeping our promise to our seniors, and I have introduced the Social Security Preservation Act (H.R. 219) to ensure that money paid into the system is only used for Social Security.

"Excessive government spending has created the insolvency crisis in Social Security. We must significantly reduce spending so that our nation can keep its promise to our seniors.

"It is fundamentally unfair to give benefits to anyone who has not paid into the system. The Social Security for Americans Only Act (H.R. 190) ends the drain on Social Security caused by illegal aliens seeking the fruits of your labor."

Ron's the only politician they can name who has never flip flopped or lied to the American public or gone back on his oath to uphold and defend the Constitution, which is what separates us from every other country in history.

Get the list for Florida. Raise the stew to print them. Keep it simple and use BIG FONTS. Mail the damn things.

Ms D = my girl. Love this thread. :cool:

Bosso

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 10:13 PM
I think the post was directed at people canvassing, waving signs, etc.

The old people in the campaign already know how to act.

Ummm, yes, reading through this thread, I pick up on how the old people know how to act as being: they let the young people do all the work, even when talking to old people, and they cuss a lot while telling other people how to behave.

I guarantee you that old people are no less likely to not know how to behave then young people. Granted, an old man steeped in the ways of the Lord is a blessing, but some old people are like rotting trees - even WORSE because they are old, they grew that way.

What I'm seeing here is some mock playfulness over cussing, laziness over working - getting others to do it for you while complaining about it, logs in your own eyes, and some vanity and pride over age.

Some of that hurt? Well, some of this thread probably hurt younger people too. The old people apparently didn't know how to act. One of the best ways to have acted would have been to just approach the old people yourself if you think they're is a relate-ability problem. GEEZE.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I think in order to win the older vote Ron's gotta get on tv. My grandparents only watch Fox News, their main issue is killing the Arabs before they kill us and forcing the rest of them to be wholesome Ozzie and Harriets for their own good. I can't get through to them. All I hear is "he want's to leave Iraq, he must be a liberal", "he can't win", "I don't know, I never see him on the news", "I heard Hannity say he got all that money from George Soros and credit card scams", "I like some of what he says but he can't win, I never see him on tv". Unbelievably frustrating the stranglehold the media has. It's like they can't believe their own eyes until they receive validation from the media.

This is what I think some people also mean about "electibility"

That isn't a moral issue. (but tied into it) Now they think what other people think "the majority" is what the media presents them.

Thats a logic issue. One of the reasons to need advertising is so Ron Paul "seems electible". The broader problem is to address the illogic of that reasoning or that they've never really thought about it.

Bossobass
01-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Ummm, yes, reading through this thread, I pick up how the old people need to act is: they let the young people do all the work, even when talking to old people, and they cuss a lot while telling other people how to behave.

I guarantee you that old people are no less likely to not know how to behave then young people. Granted, an old man steeped in the ways of the Lord is a blessing, but some old people are like rotting trees - even WORSE because they are old, they grew that way.

What I'm seeing here is some mock playfulness over cussing, laziness over working - getting others to do it for you while complaining about it, logs in your own eyes, and some vanity and pride over age.

Some of that hurt? Well, some of this thread probably hurt younger people too. The old people apparently don't know how to act. One of the best ways to have acted would have been to just approach the old people yourself if you think they're is a relate-ability problem. GEEZE.

None of your post hurts me because it's far too easy to see for what it is, and it'll take a helluva lot more than some post in a forum to hurt me.

I probably wouldn't play the 'who does all the work' card with me if I were you 'cause you'll lose that one. Young people hurt by this thread? You're yankin' my chain, right?

Take the damned thread for what it's worth. Jump on board and quit looking for crap to argue about.

Bosso

Rhys
01-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Thank you.

For God's sake, who's not showering before canvasing?

We're not just talking about older folk... we're talking about older Republican folk! CONSERVATIVE is our friggen favorite word.

("our favorite" as in republicans. lol i'm just pushin 30.)

LJHudd
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Why'd it take an older lady to say it before ya'll gave 100+ ''I agree!" :D So many people have been trying to say this all along, yet so many never listened!

kyleAF
01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Wouldn't the knowledge that Barry Goldwater, Jr has officially endorsed Ron Paul ring a few bells in the minds of the older GOP base? Maybe they'll think twice before listening to FOX say they should dismiss him outright.

I agree. It's the old people who vote and decide how us young people should live... even after the same old people die. That's the way of things. We need to accept that and look for the solution, instead of the problem. Get the elderly vote!

I think appealing to their past and knowing a little about their history will go a long way to getting them to join us.

aravoth
01-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Normally I'd say something witty, in an attempt to fill in any gaps that may not have been closed. But this post needs no additions. It is perfectly accurate in every way.

icon124
01-26-2008, 10:43 PM
you criticize us for criticizing others, don't you find that a little ironic?

tpreitzel
01-26-2008, 10:45 PM

The older generation, i.e. voters > 60, see a need for state protection which is unfortunate. The best way to reach this group is by showing conclusively that Ron is NOT an isolationist, his foreign policy will promote good will internationally and allow the plunging dollar to stabilize, and securing the borders will increase security while simultaneously addressing the rampant problem of illegal immigration and its costs. Stress the COSTS of domestic and foreign policy while reminiscing about the bygone days of America where the middle class was free and prosperous.

driller80545
01-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Believe it or not but there are some of us old people around who can still remember a time before tv. And Swath is right, old people are afraid of the Arabs (and want to turn them into Ozzie and Harriet HA). I have been successful in convincing them 100% that we are in more danger with our troops overseas than we would be with them here at home, but it is a long arguement full of tiny steps and not easily done.

thuja
01-26-2008, 10:49 PM

i know an old fox watcher. he needs a little shock, so i have to get that fox expose on vcr for him. then we will see if he keeps paroting what he hears on fox

after this, i will try to explain why he should vote for RP.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 10:51 PM
None of your post hurts me because it's far too easy to see for what it is, and it'll take a helluva lot more than some post in a forum to hurt me.
[...]
Take the damned thread for what it's worth. Jump on board and quit looking for crap to argue about.
Bosso

More cussing. You ought to feel hurt. Its called having a conscience. When you try to hurt other people, say untrue or hypocritical things, inflate your ego, in the end you are just hurting yourself.

If you claim you don't know that now, you will know it soon when you die and meet the Lord.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 10:53 PM
you criticize us for criticizing others, don't you find that a little ironic?

No, they're tone death.

And their generation did cause the problem. Ron Paul is an exception, not apparently the rule, or everyone would be voting for him.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 10:58 PM
This thread convinces me more than any other that the older generation is the problem. I guess they truly hated everyone else. Accepting things like torturing people and tasoring others, that is really the only explanation.

In my family, older people protected the younger. If that isn't the issue of this election, I'm not sure what is.
We don't care of its evil, but make sure you cut your hair and don't throw a snowball.

driller80545
01-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I have a few times now heard that my generation is responsible for all the problems in the country today. Do you have any idea of the country that we inherited. It hasn't been a lost cause. Please study some history and then lets get back on the same page together working for a common goal.

slamhead
01-26-2008, 11:00 PM
My precinct has a retirement community...100+ homes. I canvased there and was glad when I was done. Having them change their minds from what the TV is telling them is extremely hard. I don't think I converted but 3 people there. They are set in their ways and many of them voted long ago by absentee ballot. Many of them did not have internet so I could not even get them on the RP website.

I don't know how to get that vote. On the bright side...during our sign waiving today there were many seniors that were giving us thumbs up.

driller80545
01-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Perseverence works with old people. They respect someone who believes in what they are doing. They take longer to change their minds, but they do pay attention when someone is sincere.

Dustancostine
01-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Great Post :D

pacelli
01-26-2008, 11:10 PM
If you are canvassing to an elderly couple or person, the deal changes quite a bit.

These folks have been through numerous campaigns in their lives, and many are used to the "old-fashioned" way of canvassing. If you do not pay respect to this simple fact, you'll give them literature and be on your way. Or, they'll see you and not answer the door.

A good strategy that I've been using to canvass the elderly in my precinct involves the following: Shirt, Tie, Jacket. Name tag. Ron Paul button. Since I have a crew cut, I wear a cloth driving cap which is a design I've seen many elderly gentlemen wearing around the neighborhood.

I ring the doorbell and stand at least 5 feet away from the door, even if that requires me to go down steps. If the door opens in a minute and the homeowner(s) appears, my script goes like this:

"Hello Sir/Ma'am/Folks my name is Dr. X and I'm volunteering for a political campaign. I have some papers that you might find to be of interest - did I catch you at a bad time?"

From there, if they are interested they usually ask about one of my keywords - "which political campaign", "what are the papers about?". Then I'll tell them the information they want, and try to engage them in a little light conversation while I'm getting their hand-out.

If they aren't interested, they'll say "it is a bad time". Then I'll say, "well here are some things you might want to examine when you have a chance, sorry to interrupt your day".

It is as simple as that.

Revolution9
01-26-2008, 11:16 PM
I have a few times now heard that my generation is responsible for all the problems in the country today. Do you have any idea of the country that we inherited. It hasn't been a lost cause. Please study some history and then lets get back on the same page together working for a common goal.

I was born in 1957. I am from the generation coming right after the baby boomers, who have some responsibility as well. I have accomplished some huge projects like landmark sculptures, had high level careers and should be quite wealthy right now..but I kept getting furiously disgusted with the people I was around, the methods they would devise to make a profit and their lack of care in what they process brought about in the real world. They grubbed literally for money and thought they had class because of it.. I was always the wierd genius in the rafters they came to to simplify tech for salespeople, come up with ads, bu7ild giant megaton statues, devise a method for driving a 45 foot Aztec eagle puppet make architectural blueprints, create hacking counter-intel teams, write commodity contracts and whatever was too complex for their materially acquisitive minds to wrap around. Maybe I am too much of an idealist but I do not belong in their society as it stands/sinks. I sold my vehicle when they went into Bagdhad. My maker knows I would be a raging hypocrite to consume oil to get where I really didn't need to go and people were dying due to greed over the commodity. I refused to participate. I have legs and everything is close by.

Yes.. The baby boomers and those who became the disco and the beginning of the new wave generation fucked this country. They cared about nothing but acquiring status and sex. Being smart was a good way to get shut up..nobody wanted to hear about politics and the TV ruled supreme. I dropped out as I was from a mindset I had cultivated through study of the classics of arts, philosophy and literature. These clowns were not what I wanted to be amongst .. The getting cuffed for providing a means of defense to an outnumbered and weaponless man against someone seven inches and 50 pounds heavier with three pals waiting to jump in is an indication of the moral turpitude these generations have laden us with.

Randy

driller80545
01-26-2008, 11:18 PM
If you are canvassing to an elderly couple or person, the deal changes quite a bit.

These folks have been through numerous campaigns in their lives, and many are used to the "old-fashioned" way of canvassing. If you do not pay respect to this simple fact, you'll give them literature and be on your way. Or, they'll see you and not answer the door.

A good strategy that I've been using to canvass the elderly in my precinct involves the following: Shirt, Tie, Jacket. Name tag. Ron Paul button. Since I have a crew cut, I wear a cloth driving cap which is a design I've seen many elderly gentlemen wearing around the neighborhood.

I ring the doorbell and stand at least 5 feet away from the door, even if that requires me to go down steps. If the door opens in a minute and the homeowner(s) appears, my script goes like this:

"Hello Sir/Ma'am/Folks my name is Dr. X and I'm volunteering for a political campaign. I have some papers that you might find to be of interest - did I catch you at a bad time?"

From there, if they are interested they usually ask about one of my keywords - "which political campaign", "what are the papers about?". Then I'll tell them the information they want, and try to engage them in a little light conversation while I'm getting their hand-out.

If they aren't interested, they'll say "it is a bad time". Then I'll say, "well here are some things you might want to examine when you have a chance, sorry to interrupt your day".

It is as simple as that.

Bump

Mark
01-26-2008, 11:19 PM

It is as simple as that.

Wow, now THAT'S effective. You should have entered psychology.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 11:23 PM
///

driller80545
01-26-2008, 11:28 PM
ummm are we still trying to get the older voters here

pinkmandy
01-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Nicely done! Volunteer, do nice things...wear your RP shirts, talk RP, take out someone's trash...anything! They will vote for NICE. That's what they do. If they like YOU and you ask them to vote for RP for you, quite a few will actuall go do that! Young people could get together in groups and be RP senior volunteers. Just go to helpful things like offer to change lightbulbs for them, take out their trash, little things. And be respectful, it goes a long long way.

Highstreet
01-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Amen.

I may call my grandma this weekend.

aspiringconstitutionalist
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
+1 from this 21 year old

Dave Pedersen
01-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Remember in the Florida debate Tim Russert asked Ron about social security? Tim quoted an old statement that Ron wanted to abolish social security and then in the debate asked him if he still wanted to abolish social security, pointing out that there were 3.5 million social security recipients in the state of Florida. Ron didn't back down and did a great job of explaining that he was ironically the best hope for people on social security even though he supported its eventual dissolution.

I'm 50. My momma just had her 86th birthday and we talk about Ron Paul and she watches the debates with me. She can see for sure Ron doesn't get as much time as the others and I even helped her donate ten bucks on the Tea Party..

I started this new thread a while back and so here's the link you can check it out if you haven't seen it. Thanks.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=97207

Crickett
01-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Well, I, too, am a fairly old fart. So all the hygiene stuff is important, and not crowding the door is important. The local ads in the paper EVERY day if you can swing it..even a personals classified ad would be great. Seeing it in the paper MANY or EVERY day will make it seem much more familiar. ALso, some of us are not happy with the way things are going. So, if you came to my door, and said you lived in my voting precinct, and you wondered what issues were impt to me, or you wondered if I was happy with the way the govt. was running the country, you would already get me talking. If I didn't mention it, then you could ask me what was my most important issue. If I said something RPish, you could ask me if I was going to vote democrat or republican, because if I was a dem, then it is too late to change. Then you could always at any point say that you are voting for Ron Paul because of that, too..ask them to look at some of your literature on RP. That would be my talk on the subject, as an authority. :)

driller80545
01-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Well, I, too, am a fairly old fart. So all the hygiene stuff is important, and not crowding the door is important. The local ads in the paper EVERY day if you can swing it..even a personals classified ad would be great. Seeing it in the paper MANY or EVERY day will make it seem much more familiar. ALso, some of us are not happy with the way things are going. So, if you came to my door, and said you lived in my voting precinct, and you wondered what issues were impt to me, or you wondered if I was happy with the way the govt. was running the country, you would already get me talking. If I didn't mention it, then you could ask me what was my most important issue. If I said something RPish, you could ask me if I was going to vote democrat or republican, because if I was a dem, then it is too late to change. Then you could always at any point say that you are voting for Ron Paul because of that, too..ask them to look at some of your literature on RP. That would be my talk on the subject, as an authority. :)

bump, some old people are actually lonely and will enjoy talking with you. They do have an opinion if you can be quiet long enough to hear it. They have many, many life experiences. Good post!

pacelli
01-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks Mark, been there, done that with the psychology thing :) I like to get along with people as long as they aren't being inconvenienced.

Like other posters have said, being polite and honest go a long way. It is important to earn trust before trying to hand anyone anything. I've been invited into one couple's home for coffee -- perfect! A 2-minute canvass turns into a 30-minute talk about politics. And ends with +2 voters for RP. Not to mention that they will start talking to their friends and family.

If you enjoy making things go viral on the internet, wait until you see it start happening in offline life. I was outside clearing snow, and I noticed someone walking their dog approaching me. In passing, he said, "hey, I'm voting for your guy Ron Paul". I never met the man in my life.

BeFranklin
01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks Mark, been there, done that with the psychology thing :) I like to get along with people as long as they aren't being inconvenienced.

Like other posters have said, being polite and honest go a long way. It is important to earn trust before trying to hand anyone anything. I've been invited into one couple's home for coffee -- perfect! A 2-minute canvass turns into a 30-minute talk about politics. And ends with +2 voters for RP. Not to mention that they will start talking to their friends and family.

My problem with this for myself is I may spend a lot of time just talking, because I enjoy friendly people. This would work better in the long run for us, and rebuild the community, but we only have ten days to super tuesday.

pacelli
01-27-2008, 12:15 AM
My problem with this for myself is I may spend a lot of time just talking, because I enjoy friendly people. This would work better in the long run for us, and rebuild the community, but we only have ten days to super tuesday.

I appreciate the fact that you don't know I live in North Carolina. Our primary occurs on May 6th.

Mark
01-27-2008, 12:16 AM

If you enjoy making things go viral on the internet, wait until you see it start happening in offline life. I was outside clearing snow, and I noticed someone walking their dog approaching me. In passing, he said, "hey, I'm voting for your guy Ron Paul". I never met the man in my life.

What if someone isn't receptive? Have you managed to at least leave literature?

As in? -- "I'm sorry to have bothered you, but these are free, if you get a chance sometime, you might find them interesting"

ihsv
01-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Wow. I feel like I just got a whoopin. Great advice! :)

pacelli
01-27-2008, 12:18 AM
What if someone isn't receptive? Have you managed to at least leave literature?

As in? -- "I'm sorry to have bothered you, but these are free, if you get a chance sometime, you might find them interesting"

It depends on the emotional flavor I get. If they are extremely angry at being disturbed, I leave without handing them anything and just apologize for disturbing them. There's no sense in associating their emotion of anger with Ron Paul's message.

If they are more annoyed than angry, I always hand them something as I'm turning around to leave as I'm apologizing.

BeFranklin
01-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I appreciate the fact that you don't know I live in North Carolina. Our primary occurs on May 6th.

I was speaking for myself. Our primaries are also late, but I was making a generalization. This is the way I would like it to be - more community building. It makes me happy to see this, but I'm sad by the fact that I don't think we have enough time as a campaign or movement to make a difference this way this time :(

driller80545
01-27-2008, 12:21 AM
There is time. If you convince one person and then they convince another and so on it doesn't take long. Remember how quickly Huckabee came from obscurity?

pacelli
01-27-2008, 12:23 AM
I was speaking for myself. Our primaries are also late, but I was making a generalization. This is the way I would like it to be - more community building. It makes me happy to see this, but I'm sad by the fact that I don't think we have enough time as a campaign or movement to make a difference this way this time :(

There isn't much time to Feb 5, I agree. Every day counts. Anyone canvassing is free to steal any or all of my posted tactics, they work pretty well for me. Modify or adjust based on time demands.

In my experience I get more pleasant 4-5 minute conversations at the door than 30-minute "coffee talks", but those are always nice :)

BeFranklin
01-27-2008, 12:25 AM
There is time. If you convince one person and then they convince another and so on it doesn't take long. Remember how quickly Huckabee came from obscurity?

I'd like to think it wasn't real or exactly that way. ie more like promotion in churches, which isn't the same thing as one on one word of mouth, but it is similar.

If you have x amount of people that will believe something just because the media said it, its not that much different from x amount of people who will believe something just because a church said it.

I think we are striving for something more one one one. Ie because a friend or a person you trust said it, from the heart, because it is actually true and makes sense.

driller80545
01-27-2008, 12:30 AM
I'd like to think it wasn't real or exactly that way. ie more like promotion in churches, which isn't the same thing as one on one word of mouth, but it is similar.

If you have x amount of people that will believe something just because the media said it, its not that much different from x amount of people who will believe something just because a church said it.

I think we are striving for something more one one one. Ie because a friend or a person you trust said it, from the heart, because it is actually true and makes sense.

Are you talking about how Huckabee got popular so quickly? I don't really know what spurred his instant rise. Might of been churches or the media. But one on one quickly turns to two on two and then four on four. Somewhere in there is a breaking point where a fire takes off. When the smouldering ends and the fire takes hold........ is how we can win this election. And we have already been smouldering for a while now.

Mark
01-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Are you talking about how Huckabee got popular so quickly? I don't really know what spurred his instant rise. Might of been churches or the media. But one on one quickly turns to two on two and then four on four. Somewhere in there is a breaking point where a fire takes off. When the smouldering ends and the fire takes hold........ is how we can win this election. And we have already been smouldering for a while now.

What would that be called? Exponential expansion?

2 to the power of 2 = 4 to the power of 2 = 16 ect.

2 people tell 2 people who each tell 2 people and so on. It adds up pretty quickly.

Mark
01-27-2008, 01:09 AM
There isn't much time to Feb 5, I agree. Every day counts. Anyone canvassing is free to steal any or all of my posted tactics, they work pretty well for me. Modify or adjust based on time demands.

In my experience I get more pleasant 4-5 minute conversations at the door than 30-minute "coffee talks", but those are always nice :)

I took notes. ;)

LibertyEagle
01-27-2008, 05:20 AM
bump

jrich4rpaul
01-27-2008, 05:23 AM
5 stars to the OP

Sandy
01-27-2008, 05:41 AM
Here's another self - abasement thread.

Yes, Ms. Doodahs, I , and others who agree are really into self-abasement. :confused: It's called wisdom with age, and it does occur. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Once again, thank you Ms. Doodahs, you are a woman of substance. :)

tod evans
01-27-2008, 06:09 AM
another ol` fart weighing in,

most folks in my age group agree with the majority of ron pauls platform and if they`re invited to listen to him speak will be believers..

problem is demands aren`t an invitation.....

so please, when you`re talking to folks, just ask them to listen to ron`s own words..he speaks better than most, if not all of us on this board.

Ms.D.
very well written!

tod

MsDoodahs
01-27-2008, 06:16 AM

constituent
01-27-2008, 07:08 AM
the 700 club is our biggest enemy.

-frankly, the older ones among us need to step it up.

let's hear some ideas guys...

i've been pushing from the start to

1) volunteer at your local library, almost all have
dedicated days where senior citizens can come up
to the library and learn how to use a computer/the internet.

wear your ron paul shirt

2) go to old folks' homes/retirement communities and
day centers and just talk it up, play some chess, etc...

wear your ron paul shirt....

don't mention ron paul, they will.... let them own the conversation,
they'll make their concerns known.

i've been doing both of these, so has my wife, and i'm sure others have been too...

i'm 26.

so, ok, 35+ crowd... it's your turn, let's hear it.

.... i'm waiting

freelance
01-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Ms. Doodahs is preaching common sense. Some of y'all might want to stop and listen for a change.

dblee
01-27-2008, 07:24 AM
<3 Mom

Damn right! everyone needs to pay attention to this post!! Our elders aren't stupid, they may have different values than you, but their votes count just as much. In fact, there's more of them!

This is why I've been saying for a while, HIT THE RETIREMENT HOMES WITH YOUR CANVASSING.

Talk about SS, talk about Medicare, talk about inflation, talk about Veteran's benefits. Get yourself educated on these issues. Ron Paul addresses them all.

Do NOT talk about CFR, NAU, NWO, RealID, and Bilderberg. Not only are old people and social conservatives not familiar with these topics, you are asking a lot of them to both commit to voting to an unpopular candidate AND give up their comfortable realities all at once. People have an upper threshold to the amount of change they can accept at once.

Be patient, be humble, be polite.

You catch more flies with honey.

dblee
01-27-2008, 07:25 AM
the 700 club is our biggest enemy.

You'd actually be surprised. First of all seniors are very receptive to the enthusiasm and fresh-faced optimism and earnestness of we young people. Secondly you should check out Pat Robertson's interview of Ron Paul on the 700 club.

constituent
01-27-2008, 07:31 AM
You'd actually be surprised. First of all seniors are very receptive to the enthusiasm and fresh-faced optimism and earnestness of we young people. Secondly you should check out Pat Robertson's interview of Ron Paul on the 700 club.

recent interview? how'd i miss that?

stevedasbach
01-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Until they see him [Ron Paul] ON TV, all day long. they are not going to consider him a candidate.

Bingo! If the MSM isn't going to cover Paul all day long, the only way to accomplish this is by buying lots of TV ads.

Ara825
01-27-2008, 08:20 AM
No, they're tone death.

And their generation did cause the problem. Ron Paul is an exception, not apparently the rule, or everyone would be voting for him.

Excuse me, tone deaf old lady here with something to say. I don't understand how you can justifiy your statement that the older generation caused the current problem. First of all, they did not have the internet, they did not have cell phones with free long distance, they did not have 500 channels of cable television or satelite radio.

They had to use the information they received via newspaper, radio and a few television networks. I would imagine that the majority of older people, myself included, didn't really understand how the primary or cacus for each state worked . So you see, many of us older people are learning the process for the first time in our lives, just like young people are.

And one more thing, if Ron Paul doesn't win the nomination and we end up with four more years of the same, who will be to blame? Will it be justified when your childern tell you some day that you are the cause of the problem because your generation didn't change things either?

Here's is an email I received through my meetup group this morning, it's from a 62 year old man.

Saturday I handed out more slim jims in McKinney. Was really surprised at the number of people that were Paulites. I even received donations , people wanting slim jims to hand out ,signs bumber stickers. I think there are a lot more that know the truth than the polls show. We just have to go to work to let them know there is an answer to the problem our country faces. Let's get the ball rolling by handing out slim jims , putting out signs, and the sign waving again Wed. We can make it happen. Did you see the results in Louisiana?

The man who wrote that and his wife are currently members of three meetups and they attend every meeting. They drive for an hour to get to my meetup, not city driving with traffic hold ups either btw. With gas prices as they are, I would say that is dedication to say the least. It doesn't appear that this older couple is expecting any young people to do all the work.

Personally, I do what I can physically. My husband is disabled and I am recovering from knee surgery, so we can't do too much walking. We do attend meetups, we are almost maxed out on donations, we write letters and we buy a lot of supplies for those who are physically able to get out and walk.

I just spent well over an hour on yahoo messenger chatting with my son in law who's currently half way through his third deployment. We talked about foreign policy, empire building, the fed, the markets crashing, the stimulas package, the war on drugs and Ron Paul.

AlbemarleNC0003
01-27-2008, 08:45 AM
http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/servlet/Detail?no=33

Order this slim jim and hit the older people with it.

http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/catalog/SLIMHEALTHA.JPG

True conservatives like this one, it has a picture of Ronald Reagan and Ron Paul.

http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/servlet/Detail?no=7

http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/catalog/slimjim1.jpg

NoMoreApathy
01-27-2008, 02:10 PM
+54654754764381152 to the OP.

acptulsa
01-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Thank you, MsDoodah!

LibertyEagle
01-27-2008, 02:52 PM
As far as your question is concerned, this thread is not for the purpose of debating the pros and cons of different faiths, or whether each of us is a Christian. The purpose of this thread is to start laying the ground work for how we can successfully go after older Americans and get their votes. All other posts are off-topic and subject to removal.

It's not OUR opinions about what other Americans believe that matters here and insulting them for their beliefs is not going to win them over to Dr. Paul's candidacy. The fact of the matter is that Dr. Paul is a Christian and so are many of the older Americans, whose votes we need to win this thing. So please bite the bullet and stay focused on Dr. Paul's beliefs and platform.

LibertyEagle
01-27-2008, 03:02 PM
See...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=102977

hcbrand
01-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Revolution of any kind will always frighten people. The idea that our movement is one of peace and freedom from unneccessary bureaucracy and irresponsible spending might help to calm concerns.

How can we simplify the message for wider appeal?

angelatc
01-27-2008, 03:16 PM

It is as simple as that.

Our Illinois field coordinator made a comment I'd like to pass on. He said that dogs will work against you, because they distract the person at the door. He said that if you want to have any chance at all, then go to the pet store before you canvas, and buy big bulk dog treats in two sizes, small and large. When you ring the bell and hear the dog bark, you will know which size treat is appropriate. When the homeowner opens the door, have a slim jim and a dog treat ready. You'll only have about 30 seconds to talk after that, but you will have made a very favorable impression.

speciallyblend
01-27-2008, 03:19 PM
you rock

the_bee
01-27-2008, 03:24 PM
bump

dougkeenan
01-27-2008, 04:30 PM
It's a shame they don't make dog treats in the shape of McCain. :)

acptulsa
01-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Monday bump!

phree
01-28-2008, 07:58 AM
badabada bump

LibertyEagle
01-28-2008, 08:45 AM
This is a classic! :)

LibertyEagle
01-28-2008, 09:46 AM
bump

thomaseusin
01-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Thought this deserved a bump.

New grassroots Slim Jims for Seniors
See...http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=102977

All the primary results show seniors (50+) are the biggest voting blocks and Ron Paul get the least votes from them. We need the seniors!

Also the thread below is a grassroots effort for creating their own newspaper for distribution. Seniors don't rely on the internet for information.. They read the papers!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=101290

BeallCanbe
01-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I believe the best way to convince people that a policy is sound is to show them how the policy can improve their individual financial situation.

So how can a regular retiree benefit from Dr Paul's policy to gradually cut back on entitlement spending (social security, medicare, etc)? I know cutting back on these programs will benefit the entire economy and future generations, but how does that translates into a better financial situation for a retiree in the near future?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I feel the need to understand it before coming up with a convincing argument to persuade the old folks.

mosquitobite
01-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Well said MsDoodahs! :D

acptulsa
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Thought this deserved a bump.

All the primary results show seniors (50+) are the biggest voting blocks and Ron Paul get the least votes from them. We need the seniors!

Also the thread below is a grassroots effort for creating their own newspaper for distribution. Seniors don't rely on the internet for information.. They read the papers!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=101290

Not only do I think this deserves a bump, but I think you deserve a QFT!

phree
01-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Bump For Old Folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thomaseusin
01-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Not only do I think this deserves a bump, but I think you deserve a QFT!

Thanks... I think. What's a QFT?

And oh, bump!

Drknows
01-28-2008, 04:04 PM
To the window to the wall to the woodshed for some of y'all

SKEET SKEET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSh_Oc78A4o

phree
01-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey look! Logic.

acptulsa
01-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks... I think. What's a QFT?

And oh, bump!

Quoted For Truth and a bump for you too--or should I say for you Tue--as in One Week to Tsunami Tuesday! Make a wave of old folks (the only way you can--politely and respectfully) that Dr. Paul can surf right into the White House!

phree
01-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Burp

acptulsa
01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Thump!

ralucelom
01-30-2008, 02:51 AM
yesum

LibertyEagle
01-30-2008, 03:39 AM
bump

hypnagogue
01-30-2008, 03:56 AM
well dang... my appearance tends to frighten old people.

Oh, and I can assure that fear of death works best on those Atheists who were truly only too lazy to follow a religion. For those of us principally opposed, to turn coat at the sight of death would be terrible defeat.

acptulsa
03-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Bump. Vampire bite. Something like that.

MsDoodahs
03-20-2009, 01:36 PM

acptulsa
03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I think it was the right thread at the right time.

MsDoodahs
04-22-2009, 09:52 AM