PDA

View Full Version : Nice surprise block walking

jacmicwag
01-26-2008, 08:24 PM
This knocking on doors and talking to people really works. First day out in my precinct in Houston and we came up with 3 people who will stay for the precinct convention March 4th and vote for Ron Paul delegates. We also have 2 people who want yard signs for their front yards. I also happened to knock on the door of our precinct chairman and discovered that she and her husband not only love Ron Paul but also worked on his first campaign that started his congressional career. Boy, was that funny when I started my pitch asking her if she was aware of the upcoming primary contest. This is going to work very nice since she has some local Republican judges that need support and we have a need to fill 19 precinct seats with Ron Paul supporters.

The important point though is that none of this would have happened without finally hitting the street and knocking on doors. I realize now this is the only thing that matters as you come down to the last month or two before the election. We were on the street for about 5 hours. You feel a bit strange the first few houses but then get into a groove pretty quick. Many folks are gone or don't come to the door. When that happens, it's a slim jim in the mailbox and then on to the next house. Our goal is to take the popular vote for Precinct 448 and capture the majority of the delegate positions for Ron Paul. Based on today's results, we have a shot.

I a realist however when it comes to this election cycle. We may be a little late to pull it out in all 180,000 precincts across the country including mine. If that's the way it shakes out this time around, I'm looking to 2012 and another Ron Paul run to seal the deal. The guy is in terrific shape and will probably live to be at least 100. So why not? I fully expect we will continue to get screwed around by the GOP in 2008 in various states and caucuses. But when it happens we will learn and be fully prepared the next time to shift the tide in our direction. To some degree, this is what Reagan went through in 76' before he ascended in 1980. His people got smart, worked the system for four years, and eventually the movement prevailed.

At any rate, this is the ultimate goal that can keep me motivated. By thinking this way, you know all the ground work you do today will help in 2008 and also lay the seeds for later (and possibly even sweeter) victories.

thomaspaine23
01-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Don't put anything in the mailbox....

on the screen door is fine though

jacmicwag
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Hope none of McCain's people turn me in.

LiberalDemForRP
01-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Great post, jamicwag. Thanks for doing what you're doing. I was inspired just reading about your experience out there.

JAlli41
01-26-2008, 09:41 PM
yeah... the federal government owns your mailbox man!... easy on the mailbox stuff, your not really supposed to touch it

freedom-maniac
01-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Great post, jamicwag. Thanks for doing what you're doing. I was inspired just reading about your experience out there.

Agreed!