PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Panama City, Panamá?

RonPaulPanama
01-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi there,

I just moved to Panama (The Republic of Panama, not Panama City, FL) and was wondering whether there are other Ron Paul supporters here...

If anyone is interested just reply here or contact me trough this forum.

danda
02-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Kinda nearby - I'm in Costa Rica.

ams5995
02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I am from Panama City, FL!

Deborah K
02-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi there,

I just moved to Panama (The Republic of Panama, not Panama City, FL) and was wondering whether there are other Ron Paul supporters here...

Welcome! How long have you been in Panama? My husband and I have considered Panama in our 'exit strategy' if this f'd up government looks like they're going to institute a draft. We have 4 eligible kids and no desire to sacrifice them.

Would love to hear more about it. I understand their laws are much less rigid than ours and you can't beat the climate and scenery. What took you to Panama?

specsaregood
02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
./

driller80545
02-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi there,

I am not in Panama right now, but have been studying a move there for a couple of years now. Would appreciate any input about it!

driller80545
02-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Kinda nearby - I'm in Costa Rica.

Where in CR. I have been traveling there with an eye towards moving for a couple of years.

RonPaulPanama
02-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Welcome! How long have you been in Panama?

Just for a couple of weeks

Would love to hear more about it. I understand their laws are much less rigid than ours and you can't beat the climate and scenery. What took you to Panama?

It's a bit hot for my tastes but many people love the climate. I'm also here mostly because of its laws. This is a great place where to do business.

RonPaulPanama
02-07-2008, 01:27 PM
The guy that told me about Ron Paul is an expat living in Panama. So there is at least one more of you down there.

Awesome! Could you email him and point him to this thread? There are plenty of Americans here, but this is the first time I hear about any Ron Paul supporter in Panama... well, apart from a man from Arizona I met when I arrived who voted for our guy, but he doesn't live here he's just travelling...

RonPaulPanama
02-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I am not in Panama right now, but have been studying a move there for a couple of years now. Would appreciate any input about it!

I've been here for just two weeks, but here are my thoughts: Panama is a mix of the first world and the third world, so some things are great and others are terrible. It has some great laws, but a rather corrupt state. A lot of new skyscrapers are being built right now, and the country has the most Americanized culture you'll find outside of the USA. The US dollar is legal tender. The banking industry here is huge. The economy is booming.

It's still a cheap place to live compared to Europe and the USA, but not particularly cheap compared with the rest of Central and South America. It's pretty safe compared with its neighbors. It's a good place to live if you make your living outside of Panama, hence the large number of retired people here, but a rather bad place to find work due to its restrictive labor laws and extremely low salaries... The Panamanian education system is terrible so there's not much qualified people here.

Panama City has the most chaotic traffic I've seen to date. It's also hot and humid, whether you'll like that or not it's a matter of taste. There are cooler areas in the mountains.

There's a reform to the immigration law currently going on but not much info is publicly available about it.

Overall I think it's a great place. Definitely worth a visit, and definitely worth considering for retirees and enterpreneurs.