PDA

View Full Version : Are you over 60 years old? Could you please post your suggestions for this campaign?

RonRules
01-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi, I'm younger than 60, but would like to keep this thread ONLY for people over 60. We need to hear you ideas, complaints, strategies for winning these elections. Here's ten questions to get the ball rolling:

1) What is important for you in a presidential candidate ?

2) What is the most effective way to spread the message and get votes ?

3) What are we doing wrong ?

4) Where should we advertise ?

5) Do you believe in MSM conspiracies or poll / vote result corruption ?

6) Who should be Ron Paul's VP ?

7) What party are you affiliated with? Republican / Democrat / Libertarian / Constitution ?

8) Have you donated to the campaign ?

9) What do you like most about Ron Paul ?

10) Which candidate will you vote for if Ron Paul drops out ?

Add questions and answers as you wish.

RonRules
01-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Bump

agaiziunas
01-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Put slim jims in packages of Depends & Ensure at Wal-Marts

Redmenace
01-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Make sure canvassers stay on the sidewalk and KEEP OF MY LAWN YOU DAMN WHIPPERSNAPPERS! /shakefist

Joe3113
01-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Are they what I think they are?

sgrooms
01-27-2008, 10:59 AM
bump

constituent
01-27-2008, 11:00 AM
thanks for this thread ronrules, much needed!

tod evans
01-27-2008, 11:06 AM

nice, true class

fedup100
01-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Full page ad in the nations largest circulation magazine for seniors, AARP.

RonRules
01-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Full page ad in the nations largest circulation magazine for seniors, AARP.

That's the kind of response I was expecting to see. Keep it up.

I actually think this would be much better than the SuperBowl ad currently being planned.

johnrocks
01-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm 46 but I sell Medicare Supplements for a living and come in contact with Seniors on a daily basis and my Mom is 86. They get alarmed when people talk about abolishing Social Security and Medicare,it needs to be plainly stated as to how they are going to be even more secure with a President like Ron Paul.

Also most seniors that I know;especially the older seniors; are not internet users,they get their news the traditional way.

Ara825
01-27-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm not quite 60 but my husband is.

Quit calling older people stupid, wisdom is gained over a life time of learning through experience, not while you're a child, a teenager or an adolescent. It's like reading a book you have to complete it to understand what the author's message is. Same way with life except you can't skip to the last page to see how it ends.

Don't assume that older people are stuck in the past, wear rose colored glasses and lived in the land of milk and honey. They are concerned, they do care about the future of our country and for their children's and grandchildren's future. Many, if not most, have struggled to make ends meet and provide for their families. The number of older men who suffer back problems from having worked their butts off when they were younger is staggering. They didn't grow up in an age of internet desk jobs. Their jobs most often required tough physical labor, body wearing work if you get my drift, and I am talking about both men and women.

Don't assume that older people don't care about the war. They have children and grandchildren who are serving in the military. Many have lost friends and family in this war as well as previous wars. Most of the older men are veterans who saw more than one war up close and personal. Many of the older women lost their husbands, uncles, cousins and brothers during times of war.

Keep in mind that many are concerned about social security because it is what they depend on to barely survive. They can't go out and get a job, they can't compete with the youth in the job market even if they are physically able to work. As the years catch up with you, you find yourself faced with many medical problems that younger people don't have ie; high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes etc. The cost of medicine alone is enough to eat up the greater portion of a social security check that wasn't enough to cover the cost of living to begin with. Don't hold that against them, they earned it by paying into the system over a lifetime and expect to get what was promised.

And most of all keep in mind that inside that frail old body is the soul of a young person. Only the body ages the spirit remains young forever.

Laja
01-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Beautifully put, Ara825. And I'd like to add this, age 60 is seeming light years from typical seniors, who are more like 80's and 90's. The 60-79 year old parents I know are very active like Dr. Paul, out cycling, hiking, traveling, dancing, taking yoga, etc.

It's the older folks I think you're meaning to direct this thread to. And as Ara said, they get their information from television so they buy into anything their favorite tv personalities sell them. They also read newspapers, but of course, they get the same propaganda there. You can't fault them. It's a sign of their times. They've paid into SS their whole lives and they deserve to reap the benefits of those sacrifices.

All of us do, really, but I don't expect to collect a dime of all the SS I've contributed because it's all been spent. I don't think they understand this.

tod evans
01-27-2008, 11:37 AM
since my seniors aren`t responding i`ll offer some mainstream publications to consider;
1) readers digest
2) national geographic
3) popular science
4) popular mechanics

i`m only 47 but my folks still read these monthly......not so with the aarp stuff.
please don`t try to "target" an audience with age or any other demographic specific segments of rons platform.
it`s my opinion that most folks my age and older have more concern for our kids welfare than our own, so while continuing to provide ssi benefits might seem logical the ability for our kids to escape the treadmill will be far more relevent.
the most dificult part is getting somebody to listen to what ron says...if folks will spend 5-10mins. reading or listening most will find they`re in agreement.....at least enough to research further.
tod

withallmyheart
01-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Just a reminder that ad space is filled months (I think) in advance for some of the publications.

the_bee
01-27-2008, 11:54 AM

Grow up

Kingfisher
01-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Make sure canvassers stay on the sidewalk and KEEP OF MY LAWN YOU DAMN WHIPPERSNAPPERS! /shakefist

This kind of crap gets a lot of votes.

deedles
01-27-2008, 11:59 AM

Would you please edit that out. How rude and I'll bet you think you're funny. :mad:

mconder
01-27-2008, 12:00 PM
And most of all keep in mind that inside that frail old body is the soul of a young person. Only the body ages the spirit remains young forever.

I'm only 37, but I know this must be true.

Kingfisher
01-27-2008, 12:00 PM

Ni wonder the MSM can say we are a bunch of uncouth clods.

deedles
01-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Thank you, Ara.... I'm 46 and already starting to relate to what you are saying.

And I realize what an ignorant smartalecky dumbazz I was in my 20's only to be marginally smarter in my 30s...

I'm sure many on here making immature remarks couched as humor will also experience this in another decade or two....

peznex
01-27-2008, 12:05 PM
All my grandparents do is watch TV and read the local newspaper.

Ernest
01-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Emphasising more about how entitlements transition will work. Eliminating a system doesn't mean you don't get what you were promised but the system is broke. Totally dependent too on prudent cutting.

RevolutionSD
01-27-2008, 12:09 PM
It's very simple.

Old people watch TV!

TV advertising is the way to go.

I hope to see some ads VERY SOON here in CA!

Highstreet
01-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm 46 but I sell Medicare Supplements for a living and come in contact with Seniors on a daily basis and my Mom is 86. They get alarmed when people talk about abolishing Social Security and Medicare,it needs to be plainly stated as to how they are going to be even more secure with a President like Ron Paul.

Also most seniors that I know;especially the older seniors; are not internet users,they get their news the traditional way.

He has been saying this more often, like in the debate the other day. His plan is the only one which can save the system.

Maybe we need a flyer and Newspaper ads targeted toward how Paul's plan will save these programs, whereas the others are bankrupting this economy and pinching them with inflation.

1. Social Security
--save money from occupations to keep it solvent
--make SS income tax free

Social Security Beneficiary Tax Reduction Act

Ron Paul is the chief sponsor of the Social Security Beneficiary Tax Reduction Act (HR 192 ), which would repeal the 1993 Clinton tax hike on Social Security benefits.
--only candidate who has voted against raiding the fund

Protected Social Security Funds

According to the National Taxpayers Union, Ron Paul is one of only seven members of Congress who did not vote to spend even one penny of Social Security benefits on other programs.
--only candidate who will keep promises to Seniors
--Chief Sponsor of Social Security Preservation Act of 2007

Ron Paul is the chief sponsor of the Social Security Preservation Act of 2007 (HR 219), which would prohibit Congress from raiding the Social Security Trust Fund . It also requires that the money paid into the Trust Fund be invested in U.S. Treasury Bonds and FDIC-insured, interest-earning certificates of deposit.
2. Medicaid/Medicare
--Only candidate calling for Healthcare expenditures to be tax free
--only candidate calling for less govt intervention to bring costs down
--only candidate saying he will keep promises to Seniors
--Chief Sponsor of Prescription Drug Affordability Act of 2007

Ron Paul is the chief sponsor of the Prescription Drug Affordability Act of 2007 (HR 194), which would provide an 80% tax credit for out-of-pocket expenses incurred for the purchase of any prescription drugs by those of retirement age. It would also legalize the importation of prescription drugs that meet American safety standards from places like Canada, where the prescription drugs cost less.

http://www.seniorsforronpaul.com/ (http://www.seniorsforronpaul.com/)

Suzu
01-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi, I'm younger than 60, but would like to keep this thread ONLY for people over 60. We need to hear you ideas, complaints, strategies for winning these elections.

I'm just under 55 but I think I qualify to answer this because both my parents were over 40 when I came into this world, I have a brother 22 years older than me, and both of my ex-husbands were much older than me (one was 12 years older, the other 19 years older). I ran with an older crowd from an early age and have been living on a fixed (disability) income for many years, so I feel like at least mentally I fit in this older age group.

1) What is important for you in a presidential candidate?

Intelligence, honesty, integrity, strength (gentle strength), affability. In two words: Ron Paul.

2) What is the most effective way to spread the message and get votes?

Personal visits. I'd like to see Ron travel around in a bus and stop in every town.

3) What are we doing wrong?

A lot of the supporters' behavior is way immature. Chasing Sean Hannity and the other candidates around and shouting them down, stuff like that... give me a break! That HURTS Dr. Paul's image more than you can imagine!

4) Where should we advertise?

Everywhere! Wherever it is affordable! The blimp is a huge waste of resources that could have been used for radio and newspaper ads.

5) Do you believe in MSM conspiracies or poll / vote result corruption?

Absolutely.

6) Who should be Ron Paul's VP?

That's for Ron Paul to decide, but my personal choice would be Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska.

7) What party are you affiliated with? Republican / Democrat / Libertarian / Constitution?

None. I vote for the best candidate regardless of party affiliation.

8) Have you donated to the campaign?

Yes - and could ill afford to do so.

9) What do you like most about Ron Paul?

The fact that he has been in government for such a long time and has not "sold out."

10) Which candidate will you vote for if Ron Paul drops out?

I will probably write in Ron Paul.

Add questions and answers as you wish.

Who asked you to gather this information?

Joe3113
01-27-2008, 12:46 PM
They get alarmed when people talk about abolishing Social Security and Medicare

Which is exactly why it was highlighted at the debate. To lose Ron votes. Russert raised his voice when he said "You wanted to ABOLISH SOCIAL SECURITY" so the old folks wouldn't miss it. The old folks wouldn't understand the explanation. All they hear is "ABOLISH SOCIAL SECURITY".

Joe3113
01-27-2008, 12:59 PM
A lot of the supporters' behavior is way immature. Chasing Sean Hannity and the other candidates around and shouting them down, stuff like that... give me a break! That HURTS Dr. Paul's image more than you can imagine!

Young people are angry. They do not want to spend their lives enslaved by international bankers. It's frustrating when old people believe what they see on FOX news and go out and vote for Romney or McCain.

It was non-violent. Hannity deserved it, in my opinion.

"Every generation needs a new revolution."

- Thomas Jefferson

Paulitical Correctness
01-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Listen youngins, I'm not over 60 but I can flat out tell you one of the main problems right off the bat - and it's the fact that you're too immature to show some class.

Even in this thread, an attempt to be productive, several of you couldn't refrain from posting your shenanigans.

If you ain't got nothin' but some smartass lip to give, just kindly move along.

(My apologies for adding this dreck to the thread, but I had to say it.)

hcbrand
01-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm only a bit younger than 60, but I have several thoughts about how the campaign has missed infiltrating the mindset of the aging boomer demographic.

I think ideology is problematic in the discourse of political policy. When you talk about an idea, I think you have to speak to the benefits of the idea without EVER saying what the idea actually is. For instance, the Republican party has become the party of huge deficits, huge and failing entitlement programs, and national defense spread so thin, we cannot even guard our own borders.

We need to return to the principles of true conservatism: reduce government spending, remove oppressive bureaucracies, rebuild our national defense and focus on fixing domestic problems like social security, crippling taxation, illegal immigration and strengthening our dollar.

Notice there is no mention of eliminating the FED, the IRS or even overseas military spending.

Then, when questioned about specifics, you dance around them till you can't avoid the answer any longer and like every other BS politician in the field, you dance a little more.

Sorry about the cynicism...