PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News (Bad) from Iowa City

malibu
01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
The Daily Iowan - the University of Iowa student paper - is sending out an email to everybuddy on campus with the tear jerking news about one of our own just lost.

UPDATED - 01/26/08 - 2:50 P.M.
"An Iowa City soldier died Friday in Afghanistan of wounds resulting from small arms fire, the Department of Defense announced today. Staff Sgt. Robert Miller, 24, passed away in Barikowt, Afghanistan, where he was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group based out of Fort Bragg, NC."

(online editions do not have this to link yet)

ronpaul.in
01-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Sadly this wont be breaking news, the news cares more about one person lost than 4,000 soldiers killed in iraq

RockEnds
01-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Well, it should be breaking news.

Did you know him, Malibu? Deepest sympathies to his friends and family. My son was in Kandhar this summer. He is now on Honor Guard duty performing ceremonies for veterans and fallen service members. Every single life lost is a tragedy.

malibu
01-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, it should be breaking news.

Did you know him, Malibu? Deepest sympathies to his friends and family. My son was in Kandhar this summer. He is now on Honor Guard duty performing ceremonies for veterans and fallen service members. Every single life lost is a tragedy.

Well it was put out over all emails that get the Daily Iowan feeds as breaking news - that's all.

Places like Texas or Virginia or North Carolina or California etc etc. get these local stories alot -
every single one is too much - ya' know.

Whenever anyone from Iowa falls - it does make the news here - the last one I think was from Davenport, IA and before that maybe from Fort Dodge, IA.

It will unfortunately be on all our local news channels tonight.

mugen
01-26-2008, 05:05 PM
We'll hear more about the recent death of an actor than this soldier sadly.

malibu
02-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Online link to some of The Daily Iowan coverage of these sad days.

http://media.www.dailyiowan.com/media/storage/paper599/news/2008/01/28/Metro/ExStudent.Dies.In.Combat-3171102.shtml