PDA

View Full Version : If U.S. troops were to pull out of South Korea...

dkim68
01-26-2008, 03:29 PM
...how long do you estimate it would take for North Korea to begin an all-out invasion? (I feel it's almost inevitable that Kim Jong-Il would invade South Korea)

After invasion, the North and South would be unified as one country but under Communist rule. How long would you estimate it would take for democracy to return to Korea?

SeanEdwards
01-26-2008, 03:43 PM
...how long do you estimate it would take for North Korea to begin an all-out invasion? (I feel it's almost inevitable that Kim Jong-Il would invade South Korea)

After invasion, the North and South would be unified as one country but under Communist rule. How long would you estimate it would take for democracy to return to Korea?

I don't know and I don't care. Political bullcrap of Koreans is their business, not mine.

If Korea fell off planet Earth tomorrow, I wouldn't notice.

angrydragon
01-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Why would say it'd go communist? They could go capitalistic like Vietnam. I'm pretty sure the Koreans in the south hate having US troops there.

Dark_Horse_Rider
01-26-2008, 03:57 PM
It is inevitable either way. Even if they were begged to stay, they will leave.

KurtBirk
01-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Why would say it'd go communist? They could go capitalistic like Vietnam. I'm pretty sure the Koreans in the south hate having US troops there.

It's not my impression that South Koreans are anti-american at all. They are pretty westernized and a hi-tec country. The North Koreans oth are broke and do not have the surplus make a grand scale war. So I'd think it's pretty safe to leave.

phill4paul
01-26-2008, 04:03 PM
South Korea can take care of itself. They have the finest tecnological weapons Americans can buy.

angrydragon
01-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Well no, but still, we'd hate it if China had a base here in the US, does that make us anti-Chinese?

LukeNM
01-26-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=533

We went into Korea by direction of the United Nations, not a congressional declaration of war, to unify Korea. And yet that war ensured that Korea remains divided to this day; our troops are still there. South Korea today is much more willing to reconcile differences with North Korea, and yet we obstruct such efforts. It doesn’t make much sense.

RonPaulCult
01-26-2008, 04:23 PM
I am not an expert on this subject - I have never been to Korea - but I have studied the situation over the years and this is what I know:

Relations between the North and the South have been cooling considerable over the last few years. A survey of South Koreans a few years ago found that they fear Americans more than the north. In mind this doesn't make sense but this seems to be true.

It is true that the south has every tool it needs to keep themselves safe (largely thanks to our tax dollars) and our presence at the border may very well keep them from a way but more likely than that it keeps them from reaching out for peace.

JUST COME HOME!

Redmenace
01-27-2008, 10:44 AM
What makes you think that the north would win? Economically the South is so much more powerful than the north. Sure the north has a lot more troops, but they are ill equipped and under fed. The south would have all kinds of money to purchase state of the art weapons, like new tanks and aircraft that would have such a huge advantage over the north's soviet era weaponry. Besides, when we leave the south, wouldn't it make economic sense to sell the military equipment and ammunition to the south rather than pay to have it shipped home.

The only reason people think that the north would take over the south is because of all the hoopla the US govt creates by calling them a threat to our national security. In reality North Korea is just a backward third world country that poses no threat to the US or their first world southern neighbor.

JoBurke
01-27-2008, 10:50 AM

you need to get out more - they have programmed you to care about something that could be...I have been to Korea - they are perfectly capable of dealing with the north - but would you say no to free money etc. etc.?

I like the Doctors take - let Korea deal with Korea - plain and simple.

Patriot0811
01-27-2008, 10:51 AM
South Korea has 2 times the population, 20 times the economy, and is part of the United Nations. Hmmmm, i wonder who would win.

DaneKirk
01-27-2008, 10:54 AM
There are a few people in my squadron that were stationed in Korea before they cross-trained so I have some insight on the issue. One of them told me that their only job was to get the first wave of fighters in the air and that after that they would most likely die. The north may be poor but they have tons of rockets and artillery pointed at Seoul and other military bases. No matter what those places will most likely be destroyed. I think I was told that all that will take about 15 min to happen. It is true though that the South Koreans are well trained and equipped, they can take care of themselves, trust me.

bucfish
01-27-2008, 10:57 AM
They have siad before they would reunite if we just left. Let them work out there differences. We just get in the way and keep them divided.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
01-27-2008, 10:57 AM
North Korea is so backwards and poor that the national average height of the population has been going down for decades. For men is it something like 5 foot 1 on average now.

They are literally starving to death and their leaders are living in wealth and taking money to develop nuclear weapons.

The only thing they have on the South Koreans is that the Souths only land connection is to the North. So basically they are like an island now. If there was a safe border with trade this would help everyone tremendously.

It was going to happen but with the US involved it didnt. As usual we screw things up. Just like we started the Korean War through our other Asian conquered country Japan.

DaneKirk
01-27-2008, 11:01 AM
North Korea is so backwards and poor that the national average height of the population has been going down for decades. For men is it something like 5 foot 1 on average now.

They are literally starving to death and their leaders are living in wealth and taking money to develop nuclear weapons.

The only thing they have on the South Koreans is that the Souths only land connection is to the North. So basically they are like an island now. If there was a safe border with trade this would help everyone tremendously.

It was going to happen but with the US involved it didnt. As usual we screw things up. Just like we started the Korean War through our other Asian conquered country Japan.

I don't recall Japan being involved with the start of the Koren war. It started when the North under direction of the Soviet Union invaded the South and almost drove them into the sea.

Cleaner44
01-27-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't know and I don't care. Political bullcrap of Koreans is their business, not mine.

+1

noztnac
01-27-2008, 09:31 PM
North Korea would not invade South Korea. They would unify.

We should not be there.

hueylong
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
S. Korea has an army, as well as other regional allies.

noztnac
01-27-2008, 09:34 PM

I'd notice. I live in Jeju Do, South Korea. However, I agree with your first point. It's none of our business.

attackkatt
01-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Been there they are dedicated force and have our stuff to play with after we leave. When I was in the PI it was said the Russians would come in the day after we left. Never happened. Don't care if it does. They are very people and hate us babysitting them

therealjjj77
02-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Who's to say that North Korea would attack? South Korea and China are the countries that deal with negotiations between North Korea and the U.S. It is no longer between North Korea and South Korea, but it is now between the U.S./U.N. and North Korea.

But don't worry, if they come over here on their little wooden boats we will sick the mainstream media on them to scare them away with a modern day press conference.

:rolleyes:

RonPaulFever
02-08-2008, 11:08 AM
There are a few people in my squadron that were stationed in Korea before they cross-trained so I have some insight on the issue. One of them told me that their only job was to get the first wave of fighters in the air and that after that they would most likely die. The north may be poor but they have tons of rockets and artillery pointed at Seoul and other military bases. No matter what those places will most likely be destroyed. I think I was told that all that will take about 15 min to happen. It is true though that the South Koreans are well trained and equipped, they can take care of themselves, trust me.

This is what I was told during my time in Korea. The North has a SHIT TON of artillery and would blow SK all to hell, including U.S. forces.

klamath
02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
North Korea would be crushed. Soul and the border cities might get flattened but North Korea couldn't sustain a push. China wouldn't jump in this time because they have too much to lose if they got boycotted economically.

CUnknown
02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Diplomacy has always been the answer to the Korean situation, not military action.

fcnz
02-11-2008, 09:18 AM

Is this a joke or obscure sarcasm? ..... North Korea's third world army and their 17 and a half WWII missiles smuggled from soviet russia would last about 45 minutes against South Korea's 21st century warfare machine. South Korea is one of the asian tigers, a very rich and westernized country, in many aspects the leading country in that part of asia. Forget it, NK wouldn't even try and if they did, the South could take care of it quickly. US troops have NOTHING to do there.

spudea
02-11-2008, 09:21 AM
North Korea needed Chinese backing to compete in the war. If we had REAL diplomacy, and talked with china, and asked them to allow korea to unite when we leave, it would be better for ALL parties.

SuMuKong
02-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Of course, this would happen whether the U.S. is there or not. Eventually, South Korea would surely prevail because of their economic might. The main reason that the U.S. is there is to serve as a trip-wire, so that if the North attacks (exceedingly unlikely), the U.S. can justify going in because they attacked American soldiers.

american.swan
02-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I live in South Korea. The US Army doesn't belong here. It's non of our business.

It's highly unlikely that the north would attack, being that all the military would rush to the south to get food and promptly run away.

Hard to fight a war with soldiers running away gorging themselves on the south's food.

And there is nothing wrong with congress declaring a war to defend the south if the public wants.

RSLudlum
02-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Here goes the Domino Theory again! :D