PDA

View Full Version : AGAINST Blimp Super Bowl Ad. [Mod: Info Disputed]

hueylong
01-26-2008, 12:40 PM
EDIT: I've been spanked for some inaccurate information in the original post. Also, some additional info I wasn't aware of. Gave mods permission to delete thread w/no hard feelings.

My bad.

RonPaulVolunteer
01-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I've been a strong supporter of the blimp since (almost) the beginning.

But I'm really against the blimp people trying to raise money for a Super Bowl Ad about the Blimp. There are SEVERAL reasons for this:

1. Dr. Paul's official campaign is working hard to raise money to fund the Campaign. Specifically -- $5 million by February 5th. Taking $2.7 million out of the pockets of the grassroots to fund a Super Bowl Ad -- not about Dr. Paul, but about the BLIMP -- is a big waste of money and a suck of resources.

2. The blimp is not funded. If you believe in the blimp -- the priority should be the $215,000 needed to keep the blimp aloft. THE FACT IS -- the grasssroots seems to have decided that the blimp is not the best use of our money. They weren't able to raise $100,000 by their deadline, and then changed the amount and the deadline. If they can't raise $100,000 for the blimp itself -- raising $2.7 million for a Super Bowl ad about the blimp is SHEER LUNACY.

3. It feeds ALL the concerns about the blimp project that have been expressed since the beginning -- specifically, that it drains money from activities that are more effective at gaining votes -- and that there is something not quite transparent about how the blimp project is being operated.

4. A Super Bowl Ad (any Super Bowl Ad) is a WASTE of RESOURCES. You're paying to reach millions of people who DON"T VOTE, and millions of people who DON'T VOTE in REPUBLICAN PRIMARIES.

5. FOX WILL NOT ACCEPT POLITICAL COMMERCIALS FOR THE SUPER BOWL. This is a fact. It has been announced. So why are they raising this money, and where will it go?

If you want to give to the blimp, give to the blimp. But respectfully, the MUCH better use of resources is to give to DR. PAUL -- or another grassroots advertising project.

PLEASE contact the blimp people and BEG them to cancel this wasteful and pointless endeavor.

By the way -- the blimp commercial sucks.

Yep, I agree mostly...

Jeremy
01-26-2008, 12:43 PM
i read the first 2 sentences of the thread

i thought the same thing

but the ad is not going to be about the blimp

someone said they were going to tell the person to change it because it's misleading

deedles
01-26-2008, 12:43 PM
the super bowl ad is about the blimp... not about DRP? I thought they were having ads run on local stations about DRP and his message, not blimp ads?

Are you sure about this?

sgrooms
01-26-2008, 12:44 PM
bump

hueylong
Even if it's not about the blimp -- everything else applies. This is a WASTE of money. And FOX WILL NOT ACCEPT POLITICAL COMMERCIALS.

What will they do with the money they are accepting?

Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad.

Jeremy
the super bowl ad is about the blimp... not about DRP? I thought they were having ads run on local stations about DRP and his message, not blimp ads?

Are you sure about this?

it's not about the blimp

Paulitical Correctness
01-26-2008, 12:45 PM
They're not national ads, and they're much, much cheaper as I understand it... :|

szczebrzeszyn
01-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Where is that $2.7 million taken from? I've never seen them talking about millions for the ad - rather around $100,000 in total last time I checked. But I think they will run as many ads as money is raised (so if $10,000 is raised, only that many ads will run).
But if I'm mistaken, please give me your source, thanks

kutibah
01-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Even if it's not about the blimp -- everything else applies. This is a WASTE of money. And FOX WILL NOT ACCEPT POLITICAL COMMERCIALS.

What will they do with the money they are accepting?

Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad.

Visit the website and read the damn thing! They've already RESERVED ad spots. These spots are with Local Fox Affiliates and NOT the Fox News Network. It was Fox News that said they will not put up ads, NOT the local affiliates.

The ad spots have already been reserved. All they need is the money. And by the way, its $96,000 not $2-3 million

Oh and they're NOT about the blimp.

Dave Wood
01-26-2008, 12:50 PM
bump for importance.

we have troubles ever since the blimp project rolled around. I think it is a facinating adventure but it isnt really gaining us NEW support, rather entertaining the people who are already onboard.

I simply think it has been very divisive.

zakkubin
01-26-2008, 12:51 PM
They are local ads which are allowed and make them very very good.

Reason- Super cheap and we can target them to specific towns in super Tuesday states.

If you don't like it don't donate. But it appears the blimp has served it's purpose...We received all the news coverage we can from it. Now we need something knew.

Our primary concern should be what commercial is going to be used.

born2drv
01-26-2008, 12:52 PM
regional superbowl ads will not really help IMO

the national superbowl ads are what will bring in the buzz.... from the news stations, to the websites showing all the superbowl ads, etc, etc.... if we just run regional ads they might be more targeted but we will get zero free press from it. the whole point in running superbowl ads isn't just to target people, but to come up with a kick ass commercial that will get bonus free coverage in the press.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2008, 12:53 PM
This project is NOT about the blimp whatsoever. This project is about Ron Paul TV ads.

FOX will not accept NATIONAL political ads. Our ads will be regional and will be placed with FOX affiliates. Some of the reservations have already been made. Go check it out here: http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/superbowl/

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I made a complaint about this particular thread because it is blatently pushing facts out there that aren't true. Its one thing to have an opinion, another just to make stuff up.

1. The cost isn't 2.7 million, its ~79,000.
2. That is about 1% of 5 million, and I'm sure Ron Paul doesnt want us to stop all grassroots initiatives.
2. The ad isn't about the blimp. Its a Ron Paul ad.
3. Again, its not 2.7 million; and targeted super bowl ads in the states we really need them in is a lot of bang for the buck.
4. This isn't on fox national network, its on the affiliates, who have already reserved spots for the ads.

This thread really seems like it was intended to troll. I hope it wasn't intentional, and the comments I saw on the LA caucus sub-forum about you weren't true.

I've been a strong supporter of the blimp since (almost) the beginning.

But I'm really against the blimp people trying to raise money for a Super Bowl Ad about the Blimp (or anything else). There are SEVERAL reasons for this:

1. Dr. Paul's official campaign is working hard to raise money to fund the Campaign. Specifically -- $5 million by February 5th. Taking $2.7 million out of the pockets of the grassroots to fund a Super Bowl Ad -- not about Dr. Paul, but about the BLIMP -- is a big waste of money and a suck of resources.

2. The blimp is not funded. If you believe in the blimp -- the priority should be the $215,000 needed to keep the blimp aloft. THE FACT IS -- the grasssroots seems to have decided that the blimp is not the best use of our money. They weren't able to raise $100,000 by their deadline, and then changed the amount and the deadline. If they can't raise $100,000 for the blimp itself -- raising $2.7 million for a Super Bowl ad about the blimp is SHEER LUNACY.

3. It feeds ALL the concerns about the blimp project that have been expressed since the beginning -- specifically, that it drains money from activities that are more effective at gaining votes -- and that there is something not quite transparent about how the blimp project is being operated.

4. A Super Bowl Ad (any Super Bowl Ad) is a WASTE of RESOURCES. You're paying to reach millions of people who DON"T VOTE, and millions of people who DON'T VOTE in REPUBLICAN PRIMARIES.

5. FOX WILL NOT ACCEPT POLITICAL COMMERCIALS FOR THE SUPER BOWL. This is a fact. It has been announced. So why are they raising this money, and where will it go?

If you want to give to the blimp, give to the blimp. But respectfully, the MUCH better use of resources is to give to DR. PAUL -- or another grassroots advertising project.

PLEASE contact the blimp people and BEG them to cancel this wasteful and pointless endeavor.

By the way -- the current commercial about the blimp sucks. It doesn't say ANYTHING about why people should vote for Dr. Paul.

godawgs
01-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Huey your entire most is misaccurate info, please correct it as the information you posted is just wrong. And this is coming from someone who would rather donate money to the campaign than the tv ad. Still doesn't mean you shoudl post false information.

Dave Wood
If you are going to run ads during the superbowl, they better be DAMN good!!!!! Even if the ads are shown on affiliates, they are going to be competing with with super expensive high quality productions. These ads will be embarassing compared to the big sponsor ads imho.

LibertyEagle
regional superbowl ads will not really help IMO

the national superbowl ads are what will bring in the buzz.... from the news stations, to the websites showing all the superbowl ads, etc, etc.... if we just run regional ads they might be more targeted but we will get zero free press from it. the whole point in running superbowl ads isn't just to target people, but to come up with a kick ass commercial that will get bonus free coverage in the press.

Tell me something... if you are sitting down in front of your TV, how are you going to differentiate between a "national Ron Paul ad" and a "regional Ron Paul ad"? :confused:

We are trying to use the money wisely. At this point, we don't have anywhere CLOSE to the money needed to run ads in even the Super Tuesday states. So where exactly do you think it is going to fall from to allow us to run ads all over the United States?

Please get behind this effort. We only have a couple of days to come up with the money. If we do not, we will lose one of our last opportunities to advertise to the Super Tuesday states. I know I do not need to tell you that we need to do well in these states.

Thanks.

godawgs
01-26-2008, 01:01 PM
If you are going to run ads during the superbowl, they better be DAMN good!!!!! Even if the ads are shown on affiliates, they are going to be competing with with super expensive high quality productions. These ads will be embarassing compared to the big sponsor ads imho.

Have you looked at any of the potential ads?

UtahApocalypse
01-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Visit the website and read the damn thing! They've already RESERVED ad spots. These spots are with Local Fox Affiliates and NOT the Fox News Network. It was Fox News that said they will not put up ads, NOT the local affiliates.

The ad spots have already been reserved. All they need is the money. And by the way, its $96,000 not $2-3 million

Oh and they're NOT about the blimp.

Have the checked with the local affiliates since FOX did this?? Local affiliates are bound be contract to the networks there are connected too. If the FOX Network said no political ads during the Super Bowl they CAN, and WILL enforce it. Trust me a affiliate is not going to risk their contracts to please us.

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Tell me something... if you are sitting down in front of your TV, how are you going to differentiate between a "national Ron Paul ad" and a "regional Ron Paul ad"? :confused:

We are trying to use the money wisely. At this point, we don't have anywhere CLOSE to the money needed to run ads in even the Super Tuesday states. So where exactly do you think it is going to fall from to allow us to run ads all over the United States?

Please get behind this effort. We only have a couple of days to come up with the money. If we do not, we will lose one of our last opportunities to advertise to the Super Tuesday states. I know I do not need to tell you that we need to do well in these states.

Thanks.

Bing. You can't distinguish them.

godawgs
01-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Have the checked with the local affiliates since FOX did this?? Local affiliates are bound be contract to the networks there are connected too. If the FOX Network said no political ads during the Super Bowl they CAN, and WILL enforce it. Trust me a affiliate is not going to risk their contracts to please us.

Have you checked?

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 01:08 PM

Obviously, they aren't going to be a 10 million dollar production ad.

But, people don't always go for super slick either. Witness the Charlie Brown Christmas special, that isn't slick, but its a classic. Or Ron Paul himself. Part of what I like about him is he is *not* a slick speaker, he simply says what is true and is more real because of it.

With that though, this reminds me of something I have been pushing for. A special "zooey" in the ad, or something that ties it into the super bowl so it will be talked about afterwards. (think 1984 apple commercial).

I personally kindof liked a football turning into a vote for Ron Paul blimp at the last 1 second of the commercial, but hey maybe that is just me :D

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 01:12 PM

I've bothered to read the original "tv weekly" article all this ### is coming from.

Fox said they had only a 1-2 national spots left, and so they weren't going to accept political ads from any candidate because they didn't have enough spots for other candidates.

These ads don't cost millions of dollars, there is far more then 1-2 of them left, and other ads from other campaigns will likely be running there.

Trigonx
01-26-2008, 01:15 PM
the OP is mistaken and has not read into the project at all.

driller80545
01-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Its a great idea to get some exposure before super tuesday. We are going to need all the help we can get. So get off the fence and donate.
Huey, your post comes across like a personal vendetta. You have built up too much credibility here to marginalize it with have truths now.

Trigonx
01-26-2008, 01:22 PM

its a good thing you looked into the website before typing what you typed because you would have not typed that had you checked into the site for the project you are trying to bash.

Cyclone
01-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Have you checked?

I checked. I picked up the phone, dialed the number of my local Fox station and got a person who answered. He said local ads run around 85k for thirty seconds but they were mostly sold out in my market. You could get something around 8am.

My only concern is that LPA does not have the resources or the time to try any proposed ads on focus groups.

For example, the campaign ran an ad that said that Paul got more military donations than any other candidate and that he "supports the troops." Well, most people unfamiliar with Paul thought that meant he supported the war since that is what Karl Rove has tried to make us all believe. It has worked.

So, they spent a lot of money and sent out the opposite message of his campaign. They would have known this had they tested it on non-supporters.

We are all too close to the campaign and Paul's ideals to be objective. So it will be difficult to test any ad and we sure don't want to put out an ad that says that Ron Paul supports the war!

Also, what looks good on a youtube channel may look awful on a 60 inch HD screen.

Finally, a lot of us have totally different ideas about what direction we want to take. Some want this to be an ultra conservative campaign, some shudder at the idea and want it to focus on freedom and liberty and libertarian ideals. These don't always mesh. I don't know what is better. I do know that 2/3 of people are voting democrat not Republican. But I don't know what will work now.

By the way, the original poster is 100% off on most of his facts. Sadly, I think a large part of that comes not from his lack of understanding but from an email he might have received recently.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Cyclone,

I agree that it would be best if focus groups were held. However, at this late date, that is simply not possible. As far as the message that should be portrayed, perhaps instead of deciding whether it should be a Libertarian message or a Republican message (and those are not mutually exclusive), perhaps we should settle on Ron Paul's message.

I am behind this effort. I believe we need this commercials, amongst other things (such as local print ads), if we are going to fare well on Super Tuesday. My only regret is that we did not start this effort sooner.

Now, everyone please DONATE.

http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/superbowl/

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 02:14 PM
By the way, the original poster is 100% off on most of his facts. Sadly, I think a large part of that comes not from his lack of understanding but from an email he might have received recently.

What email?
:confused:

BeFranklin
01-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Should come to FOR super bowl ad thread :)

CaliforniaAndre
01-26-2008, 02:30 PM
The local spots are a great idea. Targeted towards states that have not voted, and are NOT winner take all. The spots are reserved, but need to be paid for by Monday (some a day or two later).
Many are working on the Hi Def ads, but time will dictate what ad will run. These 30 second spots be seen my millions.
Even if you dont believe in the blimp, the Superbowl ads are PERFECT timing for Super Tuesday. So many are still undecided.... Football is as American as it gets.

96,000.00 is what it takes to buy all reserved space. We can do this!

The ads will be about RP, not the blimp...