PDA

View Full Version : The Question: It's getting results!!

Dennis Peterson
01-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Like many people, I thought Ron Paul wasted his question to McCain. I'm just getting up to speed on this stuff myself, and when Paul asked it I thought "wtf did he just say??" I figured if I thought that, the average viewer did too.

Well, I guess it's not the average viewer Paul was speaking to right then.

US News and World Report website, Capital Commerce section:

4 Thoughts on the GOP Debate

1) John McCain seemed to have no idea what the President's Working Group in Financial Markets is—in response to a Ron Paul question—even though the "plunge protection team" has been in the news aplenty since last August's credit crisis and a fave topic for the more conspiracy-minded folks out there. (More to come on this.)

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/capital-commerce/2008/1/25/4-thoughts-on-the-gop-debate.html

Now I'm starting to think Paul is a political eff'n genius. Looks like at least some of these financial guys are looking at McCain now and thinking "holy cow, the economy's crashing around our ears and McCain doesn't know a doggone thing about it!"

And these are the guys who advise corporate boards.

Doesn't mean they'll start supporting Paul, but I think McCain just took a blow.

Chadd Murray
01-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Some blog on some fairly unimportant news site... I'm sick of being the pessimist around here but why the optimism?

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Since when is the U.S. News & World Report considered unimportant?

I was a bit confused as to why Dr. Paul went for that question as well but I trust in his decision and it did make McCain look like a total moron when it comes to our economy.

jawrightbiz
01-26-2008, 10:32 AM
I am sorry but I am tired of reading ChadMurrays negative disinfo campaign today....
How do we flag a troll to the moderators?

hueylong
01-26-2008, 10:34 AM
It was a great question. It signaled to the entire informed policy community that Dr. Paul is a Master of the Old School, and McCain -- an addled dunce.

And the original post is absolutely correct -- the question was not for the benefit of the general public, but rather -- the cognoscenti.

nosebruise
01-26-2008, 10:40 AM
ron knew exactly what he was doing when he asked that question.

dbhohio47
01-26-2008, 10:50 AM
The sad part is that the question revolves around yet another "conspiracy theory" of the role and actions of the President's Working Group (PPT). Does this group meet to confer and strategize; or does it a take a more active roll in secretly manipulating the markets with the people's money?

The question clearly demonstrated frontrunner McCain's ignorance of economic policy. But, it also provides additional fodder for the MSM outlets to brand RP as a conspiracy theory-nut whose views are too radical to be taken seriously. I guarantee you if we see any press at all over this.... that will be the nature of it.

NoMoreApathy
01-26-2008, 11:02 AM
The sad part is that the question revolves around yet another "conspiracy theory" of the role and actions of the President's Working Group (PPT). Does this group meet to confer and strategize; or does it a take a more active roll in secretly manipulating the markets with the people's money?

The question clearly demonstrated frontrunner McCain's ignorance of economic policy. But, it also provides additional fodder for the MSM outlets to brand RP as a conspiracy theory-nut whose views are too radical to be taken seriously. I guarantee you if we see any press at all over this.... that will be the nature of it.

I don't agree. All he really asked him was if he thought there should be more transparency. It's a valid question, and there's no reason why any average American wouldn't want there to be more transparency...the problem is, they don't even know what that group is, let alone care about the transparency of it.

Hopefully now they will. If not, it won't matter. The media would probably rather not talk about it anyway, being as how secret it already is.

Hopefully this gets the financial community thinking twice about McCain.

thefred
01-26-2008, 11:06 AM
It was a blow to McCain. You can forget McCain now, he looked so dumb on all issues in that debate. So, Romney should be the next target.

Cleaner44
01-26-2008, 11:13 AM
McCain was exposed as being weak on the economy and for lying that he is strong on economic issues. Ron kicked ass!

dbhohio47
01-26-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't agree. All he really asked him was if he thought there should be more transparency. It's a valid question, and there's no reason why any average American wouldn't want there to be more transparency...the problem is, they don't even know what that group is, let alone care about the transparency of it.

Hopefully now they will. If not, it won't matter. The media would probably rather not talk about it anyway, being as how secret it already is.

I agree totally with what you are saying. However, I still believe that if it gets any ink, it will be spun in this manner.

coastie
01-26-2008, 11:34 AM

BINGO. Like all the other numerous "Rudy McRomson is DONE" statements for the other candidates doing this and that, it doesnt matter in the end, BECAUSE THE FUCKING MEDIA WONT REPORT ON IT!!!! They've got this election wrapped up, and label anyone who thinks otherwise as conspiracy-minded, and the sheep are following along with it with smiles. More people in this country know that Brittany shaves her puss(not that that's a bad thing:p), than know/care what the Presedential canditaes actually stand for.

WAKE UP. Get off the fucking computer and get out there.

Tell everyone you can about Ron Paul, thats all we can hope for at this point.

trapfive
01-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Mr Romney: What is an appropriate US response to the Iranian Oil Bourse? How will your administration counter the "petroeuro" tidal wave set to sweep the world?

acptulsa
01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Maybe only the cognoscenti really understand now, but these things have a way of "trickling down"--and we are that way. Click the link below if you don't believe me.

ddoggphx
01-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Some blog on some fairly unimportant news site... I'm sick of being the pessimist around here but why the optimism?

???

Time
Newsweek
US News & World Report

Basically the ONLY three newsweeklies that are read. What planet are you from?

Thumper
01-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Meet The Press is going to do an exclusive interview with McCain this week(tomorrow) and Tim Russert has already said that he is going to nail McCain on the quote he denied in the debate.

We should all politely email Tim Russert or the producers of Meet The Press and request that he also show the clip of McCain's answer to RP's question and ask him how he could even remotely consider him knowledgable about the economy if all he can do is namedrop. Also, I wouldn't recommend saying that you're an RP supporter, but a citizen concerned about the economy or whatever...that way maybe they will actually do it.

Crickett
01-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Right..the rest of the article is there, too, where the topic is all spelled out.

Dr.3D
01-26-2008, 12:49 PM
What is really funny is in his answer, the people McCain was saying as to who would advise him are the same people who are on the President's Working Group (PPT). It's just McCain didn't know what the group was or who was on it.

Crickett
01-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Meet The Press is going to do an exclusive interview with McCain this week(tomorrow) and Tim Russert has already said that he is going to nail McCain on the quote he denied in the debate.

We should all politely email Tim Russert or the producers of Meet The Press and request that he also show the clip of McCain's answer to RP's question and ask him how he could even remotely consider him knowledgable about the economy if all he can do is namedrop. Also, I wouldn't recommend saying that you're an RP supporter, but a citizen concerned about the economy or whatever...that way maybe they will actually do it.

Am sure by now McCain can give a great answer to that question..

Yom
01-26-2008, 12:54 PM

This should clarify its role and abilities to you:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/money/2008/01/07/ccview107.xml

WilliamC
01-26-2008, 12:56 PM
What is really funny is in his answer, the people McCain was saying as to who would advise him are the same people who are on the President's Working Group (PPT). It's just McCain didn't know what the group was or who was on it.

Just goes to show, it's not what you know, it's who you know ;)

smtwngrl
01-26-2008, 01:02 PM
The post the OP linked to was by James Pethokoukis.

Pethokoukis went into the McCain piece of the article further in this post:

McCain, Paul, and the ‘Plunge Protection Team’
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/capital-commerce/2008/1/25/mccain-paul-and-the-plunge-protection-team.html

Thumper
01-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Am sure by now McCain can give a great answer to that question..

That's why I suggested that we ask that the clip from the debate be shown. Regardless of what he has been coached to say now, he knew nothing when the question was posed in the debate despite his claims of being well-versed on the economy.

Dr.3D
01-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Somebody needs to splice these three clips together.
The one where Ron Paul asks McCain the question.
The one where McCain answers the question.
And the part from this clip where Dr. Paul explains the people McCain was talking about are on that counsel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPm8ptvIMPs

kyleAF
01-26-2008, 01:08 PM
McCain is clearly not very well-informed, and not just owing to his response to Dr. Paul's question.

He also tossed a soft-ball to Mike Huckabee about the FairTax program. If you don't know how big that program's support is, you should check it out... it's REALLY big nationwide, and it will bring in a LOT of support for Huckabee, especially in the southern states.

McCain clearly asked the question expecting it to "expose" Huckabee's backward views, apparently not realizing that it would actually HELP his cause.

THEN his answer to Dr. Paul's question was a doozy of course.

I think McCain's entire platform was dependent on the war and his old POW status and respect. The economy coming on line as the biggest issue will hurt him, and help Romney (and hopefully Paul if the campaign starts to capitalize on it more!).

Huckabee is out of the big-leagues, IMO.

And Giuliani, well hell.... His status is just plain confusing.

kyleAF
01-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Mr Romney: What is an appropriate US response to the Iranian Oil Bourse? How will your administration counter the "petroeuro" tidal wave set to sweep the world?

Ding Ding Ding!! Bingo. That would have been a great question, except that it would have been danced around.

Just bringing that to the mainstream mind would be nice though. I, myself, predict war with Iran as the current (not correct) response...

LukeNM
01-26-2008, 01:21 PM
It is not a conspiracy -- it is a theory.... Wikipedia,

"Plunge Protection Team"

One theory regarding the Working Group refers to it as the Plunge Protection Team. This theory claims that the Working Group is a scheme to manipulate U.S. stock markets in the event of a market crash by using government funds to buy stocks, or other instruments such as stock index futures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Group_on_Financial_Markets

That is why Ron Paul specifically asked if McCain would get rid of it…

Live Free
01-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Somebody needs to splice these three clips together.
The one where Ron Paul asks McCain the question.
The one where McCain answers the question.
And the part from this clip where Dr. Paul explains the people McCain was talking about are on that counsel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPm8ptvIMPs

I SO agree! And, if I may suggest, it would be great to first show the clip of McCain in the debate saying that he is so well educated on economics.

kyleAF
01-26-2008, 01:25 PM
And I just sent a message to Meet the Press requesting that they question McCain on his response at the debate to the PPT and how he expects to run our hurting economy if he doesn't know key portions of it... and I did NOT mention Ron Paul's name at all... to avoid the "auto-delete" of course ;)

IcyPeaceMaker
01-26-2008, 01:29 PM
This foundering economy is our ace in the hole. Ron Paul knows it, he's nobody's fool. They underestimate him at their peril.

What I see, is him laying the ground work for an all out assault on the candidacy of McCain, since Romney could never win the golden ring with his background and religion. The christians won't vote for him, unless it's Romney against Hillary, and then it's not a sure thing.

The plan is to help Romney beat McCain, then knock Romney out in the stretch. I like it.

Ricochet
01-26-2008, 02:19 PM
... I'm sick of being the pessimist around here ....

Then STOP it.

It does nothing towards getting Paul elected. If you're not here for that, then why are you here?

Mesogen
01-26-2008, 02:40 PM

This is a pretty good question, especially for Mitt. If he got a whisper, he STILL wouldn't know how to answer this one.

BUT!

Most of the dumbed down public will only hear "Blah bluh Bloo Bluh blah" and wonder why that old man is picking on Mittens.

The question will go in one ear and out the other.

austinchick
01-26-2008, 02:52 PM
???

Time
Newsweek
US News & World Report

Basically the ONLY three newsweeklies that are read. What planet are you from?

Ignore CHADD MURRAY, he is our troll...

Shink
01-26-2008, 03:04 PM
I am sorry but I am tired of reading ChadMurrays negative disinfo campaign today....
How do we flag a troll to the moderators?

Click the Report Post symbol--the triangle in the upper right hand corner of his post and then you will link to a page allowing for you to describe the problem.

trapfive
01-26-2008, 03:17 PM
This is a pretty good question, especially for Mitt. If he got a whisper, he STILL wouldn't know how to answer this one.

BUT!

Most of the dumbed down public will only hear "Blah bluh Bloo Bluh blah" and wonder why that old man is picking on Mittens.

The question will go in one ear and out the other.

Your're probably right but....people who actually attend and watch primary debates hate to think they're too stupid to know what's going on. Hence the PPT question. It raises the level of discourse, makes these people, at least those who care to be informed, to begin investigating. The great thing about that is, people who like to be informed like to explain to those around them that they know something.

Just look at RP's supporters; Dr. Paul always comments on his supporters being very knowledgeable on the issues. I'm becoming involved because early on I heard Dr. Paul say "we're just saving face". Since that time, I've been talking to family and friends and they have and so on. People need a reason to change. If he doesn't pose questions that challenge the status quo he will not stand apart from the crowd.
JMO

Trap

Goldwater Conservative
01-26-2008, 03:20 PM

The problem is that McCain agreed with Paul on the need for more sunshine, and since that was the only basis for even suspecting that Paul was talking about a conspiracy theory, McCain is just as conspiratorial as Paul based on that exchange.

Chadd Murray
01-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Then STOP it.

It does nothing towards getting Paul elected. If you're not here for that, then why are you here?

That's some interesting logic there... So having people critique ideas/arguments before they reach public consumption isn't going to help strengthen the arguments of Ron Paul? It's amazing but I tend to honestly think the 'truth' leads to the best outcome.

pathis
01-26-2008, 06:15 PM
The problem is that McCain agreed with Paul on the need for more sunshine, and since that was the only basis for even suspecting that Paul was talking about a conspiracy theory, McCain is just as conspiratorial as Paul based on that exchange.

I think the reason why McCain mentioned "Sunshine" is because Florida is known as the Sunshine state and thus was trying to suck up to the voters.

pathis
01-26-2008, 06:24 PM
This foundering economy is our ace in the hole. Ron Paul knows it, he's nobody's fool. They underestimate him at their peril.

What I see, is him laying the ground work for an all out assault on the candidacy of McCain, since Romney could never win the golden ring with his background and religion. The christians won't vote for him, unless it's Romney against Hillary, and then it's not a sure thing.

The plan is to help Romney beat McCain, then knock Romney out in the stretch. I like it.

I agree. I believe this is the "Plan" we've been hearing about lately. If it comes down to just Romney vs Ron Paul the Evangelicals will vote Paul.