PDA

View Full Version : Sign Waving: Not One Person For Ron Paul

therealjjj77
01-26-2008, 08:57 AM
I have never spoken to or heard of a person who came to know about Ron Paul by seeing people waving signs of him.

I have never spoken to or heard of a person who became a Ron Paul supporter because they saw a sign that said "Ron Paul for President" or a sign that send "End the IRS".

If we are going to win we need to focus our energy into things that WORK!!!

Not things that make us look like yahoos.

Here are things that work:

https://voters.ronpaul2008.com/

Canvassing your town means you go door to door very politely helping others come to Ron Paul.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=98343

Going to retirement homes is one of the most effective things for a candidate. You will be giving a very clear presentation of Ron Paul, something they have NEVER seen, and you will be able to fill your lists of people who are already registered to vote and were planning on voting for the TV candidate. You will also penetrate their social networks so when grandma hears about Ron Paul, she goes and talks to her friends on the phone for 3 hours a day anyway, and so she's already got a web of networks set up that she will convert without even trying.

tod evans
01-26-2008, 09:01 AM
i agree!
quietly and respectfully asking folks to just listen seems to work well for me.
thanks for the voice of reason.
tod

newmedia4ron
01-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Canvassing is much more effective then sign waving.

WilliamC
01-26-2008, 09:02 AM
4 months ago sign waving was all well and good to raise name recognition.

Now it's probably just a fun thing to do to make supporters feel like they are really helping.

Bradley in DC
01-26-2008, 09:03 AM
+1

EotS
01-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I've met a few people who became RP supporters because they saw all the signs and looked him up to find out what all the buzz was about.

ShowMeLiberty
01-26-2008, 09:06 AM
I agree 100%.

Face to face is the only thing that makes any real impact.

Joel High
01-26-2008, 09:12 AM
I think sign waving can be very affective. My group has been doing it almost every Saturday for the last 2 months. We pick a busy intersection where we see over a thousand cars an hour. We pass out hundreds of slimjims with our groups info on it. Usually we see a couple people join up that day or the next. We have people stop, ask for info, maybe a yard sign here and there. No granted, I'm in PA and don't vote for another 3 months, but I wouldn't say it's useless.

There are those who won't do the door to door stuff. They only feel comfortable in that group, power in numbers. Do you really want to tell those people to go home and see what happens.

ItsTime
01-26-2008, 09:13 AM
sign wave plus canvass that same area that same day... it works... try it

deedles
01-26-2008, 09:14 AM
I disagree. I personally have met multiple people that have looked into and now support Ron Paul BECAUSE of all the overpass banner rallies that my meetup group did over the summer.

I agree that now is the time for canvassing, but do not take away from the good work that was done by all the signs and banners. Maybe you never did any sign waving or banner holding so you have only an opinion rather than any actual experience?

The title of this thread would be insulting if it wasn't such obvious nonsense.

(Sign Waving: Not One Person For Ron Paul)

As Kip said to Napolean... "like anybody could even know that"

I'm sorry for the snarky tone, but I've been doing this since March and you've just joined here in Nov. I'll take your post for what it's worth.

Apparition
01-26-2008, 09:22 AM
i say that they ALL have a place... let the canvassers canvas, and let the sign wavers sign wave.
we're going to need ALL of the efforts to get this done and one method isn't necessarily better than the other.

Tension
01-26-2008, 09:24 AM
I became a supporter after seeing a sign last summer that said "Google Ron Paul"!

nc4rp
01-26-2008, 09:31 AM
4 months ago sign waving was all well and good to raise name recognition.

Now it's probably just a fun thing to do to make supporters feel like they are really helping.

yes it was for name recognition. its a new era now: get-out-the-vote (although sign waving is still good in my opinion)

RPSignbomb
01-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Sign waving does work but canvassing is much more effective. I'd like to see Meet Up Groups organize joint canvassing and sign waving events.

2 hours of canvassing + 1 hour of sign waving would be alot of fun and make a bigger impact.

You are right though, we have been quick to bitch about HQ but have been slow ourselves to change tactics.

AlbemarleNC0003
01-26-2008, 09:38 AM
I found Ron Paul through an online sign waver. He used to post Paul's picture in almost every election related thread on Fark.

Joe3113
01-26-2008, 09:39 AM
1. Signs help with peoples perception that he is widely popular, which increases their chances of seeing him as a viable candidate and not a wasted vote.
2. Sign-waving in person is not a good use of time, just put them up somewhere and go canvass.

RonRules
01-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Sign wavings need to be calmer and please get rid of "NO IRS" "NO TAXES" and RevolUTION type stuff.

It's scaring old voters.

BluegrassForRonPaul
01-26-2008, 09:42 AM
yes it was for name recognition. its a new era now: get-out-the-vote (although sign waving is still good in my opinion)

What these comments fail to take into account is there are a lot of non-Super Tuesday or January primary states that still have had NO exposure to RP. In my state, which doesn't have a primary til May, many, if not MOST people don't know who he even is, so sign waving still is appropriate. Since he doesn't get much MSM facetime, and the campaign posts no TV ads in late states, we are still busy helping people realize he's even a candidate in this race. I still get the "What's he running for?" question at every turn. We make sure we use the signs that say "President 2008" on them, so people don't ask this question about the sign wave. Our meetup sometimes picks a location where we can sign wave AND pass out flyers into car windows at a busy intersection and greet walkers and speak with them. We still find sign waving effective. At the VERY least, sometimes we need to hear the positive honks and waves, because the general political apathy and sheeple-ism gets very discouraging sometimes.

VoteForRonPaul
01-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I have never spoken to or heard of a person who came to know about Ron Paul by seeing people waving signs of him.

I have never spoken to or heard of a person who became a Ron Paul supporter because they saw a sign that said "Ron Paul for President" or a sign that send "End the IRS".

If we are going to win we need to focus our energy into things that WORK!!!

Not things that make us look like yahoos.

Totally disagree!

The truth is that there is no enough sign waving, we need more people to get out to streets and wave signs

speciallyblend
01-26-2008, 10:21 AM
well i have and even got a 1000.00 donation for ron paul by sign waving ,so your conclusions are just shot,though i caucus to.

so there you go your conclusion were just shot out of the water. Dont forget vote for Ron Paul 2008 ,no matter what the republicans do;)

ecliptic
01-26-2008, 10:33 AM
i say that they ALL have a place... let the canvassers canvas, and let the sign wavers sign wave.
we're going to need ALL of the efforts to get this done and one method isn't necessarily better than the other.

Keep in mind that everyone has things they are good at ... and some things they aren't good at. There are people who would do more harm than good if they went door-to-door. Canvassing isn't easy for some people. Once you get the skills and information necessary then by all means - GO CANVASS. Other folks can wave signs, in as large and fun a group as possible. Emphasis on FUN!

One person waving signs is much less effective than a fun smiling GROUP of sign wavers. In my small town the sign-wavers get almost all positive response - honking and positive shouts of encouragement. People who aren't sheep respect the dedication and activism of sign-wavers. Choose a high-traffic location during inclement weather for maximum effect!

Who are these happy people and why are they standing next to the road during a snowstorm waving Ron Paul signs? I keep seeing "Ron Paul" everywhere I look! I HAVE to investigate!

I have a special place in the "rloveution hall of fame" for the sign-wavers with 12 foot poles stickin' it in the MainSleaze Media's FACE!!!!!!

BluegrassForRonPaul
01-26-2008, 10:53 AM
"One person waving signs is much less effective than a fun smiling GROUP of sign wavers."

We did interstate overpasses yesterday, so we lined only two people at each overpass with one huge sheet banner. We wanted multiple locations, not large group in one location for this. The people aren't as noticeable on the overpass as the sign is.

We also had to physically HOLD the banners, because it is illegal to affix a sign to the overpass (even though this would have been safer - but the cops wouldn't let us due to the technicality, so we tied it to our legs in case our hands froze and we dropped the lines.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Of course canvasing is effective but so is sign waiving. I have done both and have seen results of both. Some people are just not receptive to a knock on their door but they will look into a candidate if they see a bunch of signs and vice versa. We should not discount sign waving because I have had a lot of people ask questions and become informed about Dr. Paul simply because they were interested in what all the commotion was about.

slamhead
01-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Your wrong...our meetup starts each canvasing day with a sign wave. So many people have told me they see people waving signs or signs everywhere...it is name recognition that starts people looking at Dr. Paul.