PDA

View Full Version : I'm Taking Charge. Ideas for the New Site

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 02:04 AM
If I can be so bold...

We have a lot of people, but we are scattered.
We have a lot of power, but we step on each other's feet.
We have a lot of projects, and too few billionaires.
We have a lot of ideas, but not enough time

My plan to fix it:

New main site:
Grassroots Headquarters:

For Nationwide coordination with meetups and online resources.

Includes:

RonPaulForums / Projects Forum / Live Support / Grassroots U.S Map / News
(discussion) (submission) (questions about Paul) (to help people find their meetup)

Also a Top Projects section on the main page. How do we know what is a top project? Well a Digg like approval system of coarse.

You post your idea for a project in the Projects section and it works like digg does, you can up or down rate them depending on if the idea will work and how effectively. The top projects make it to the front page.

The same goes for Money bomb days... If one day has alot more bumps than the other, we will go with the highest... and ect...

There has also been talk of a gold trader on the site... idk, how you guys think about that... i'm fine with it.

Here is some visual prospective of my ideas...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/2220429748_8b7442c9fc_o.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone with technical expertise please join up on the project.

We can have more than one doing the same thing, please join up if you can do something!

Make sure you send me your name, skill, and contact info.
After I get a number of you on the project I will set all of us up to work together.

I will post those on the Project here:

Landon Walsh(cook) - Organizer

defcreative - Web Design / Graphic Design (Pre Project)

dreicher - Software Engineer / Web Design / Graphic Design

gyrmnix - software development / Server space (thankyou!)

goldstandard - Graphic Design

Updates:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2145/2223688321_42abed32cb.jpg?v=0
Rough Draft^^^

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2224778284_00786dc391.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2408/2224069991_9b1cddea9e.jpg?v=0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

m72mc
01-26-2008, 02:06 AM
do it my captain

TwiLeXia
01-26-2008, 02:06 AM
I think this is an excellent idea, and it would be amazing to have someone take charge.

Marc3579
01-26-2008, 02:08 AM
I'd say do it, we need someone to help people to get plans from the ideas sprouting out of everywhere.

Trigonx
01-26-2008, 02:09 AM
i find what is happening ironic. Huckabee steals Ron Paul's talking points, and then Ron Paul grassroots steals a few concepts from Huckabee's grassroots. I think its 100% fine but ironic :)

ValidusCustodiae
01-26-2008, 02:10 AM
"keep your friends close, but your enemies closer..."

newyearsrevolution08
01-26-2008, 02:12 AM
Everything sounds great as an idea, can this get implemented fully within a day or two and have all elements setup though?

If yes then go for it man, if you have the plan, the ability and can get things done then do it.

I personally think that all is needed is this

1. pause all funds to grassroots campaigns and direct them ONLY to the official campaign
2. use all the money people are trying to spend on buying domains, hosting and other b.s. and give it to the official campaign.

no site, no nothing is needed and we have this forum for instance that is a hub as well as plenty of other sites as well. We have maps, we have a meetup map through "meetup" itself as well as the ability to get in contact with all of them through email.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 02:15 AM
Everything sounds great as an idea, can this get implemented fully within a day or two and have all elements setup though?

If yes then go for it man, if you have the plan, the ability and can get things done then do it.

I personally think that all is needed is this

1. pause all funds to grassroots campaigns and direct them ONLY to the official campaign
2. use all the money people are trying to spend on buying domains, hosting and other b.s. and give it to the official campaign.

no site, no nothing is needed and we have this forum for instance that is a hub as well as plenty of other sites as well. We have maps, we have a meetup map through "meetup" itself as well as the ability to get in contact with all of them through email.

I was just told we could get alot of our stuff for free...

billyjoeallen
01-26-2008, 02:17 AM
go for it. looks promising.

Rhys
01-26-2008, 02:17 AM
check out tikiwiki.org

i can help some with webdesign/graphics and maybe some asp.net if you go that way.

dreicher
01-26-2008, 02:20 AM

Wow...easy, tiger.

We're not talking about a significant outlay here. :)

That's exactly the point:

we = die hards. If this movement is to continue it must move beyond "we" to the casual observer who justs want easy access to information for making an informed decision.

this forum, plenty of other sites, maps, meetup map, meetups = cluster**** for organizing. Meet-ups are great for building in an area, but if you want to compete in real elections you have to get organized and empower people like a real party (doing this inside the GOP is not a long-term viable solution) and for that to happen you need some centralized system.

newyearsrevolution08
01-26-2008, 02:21 AM
just remember that we have 10 DAYS lol, not much time to get this implemented, advertised and used by all people.

Is there any idea that gets things going today without needing prep time?

Here is what is needed 10 days to raise 5 million dollars, we need to raise $500k a day until super tuesday for that to happen. What does anyone have as far as ideas to get that done starting NOW that does not involve complete site designs, advertising and implementation?

Dont take my comments as being rude either, I am just getting to the point and nothing more. We have a goal that needs to be met and I being an seo guy knows it will take a bit more then 10 days to get a site out there to the masses and then actually used effectively.....

JSCHAFER1337
01-26-2008, 02:21 AM
I like this. Make it happen.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 02:24 AM
just remember that we have 10 DAYS lol, not much time to get this implemented, advertised and used by all people.

Here is what is needed 10 days to raise 5 million dollars, we need to raise $500k a day until super tuesday for that to happen. What does anyone have as far as ideas to get that done starting NOW that does not involve complete site designs, advertising and implementation?

Dont take my comments as being rude either, I am just getting to the point and nothing more. We have a goal that needs to be met and I being an seo guy knows it will take a bit more then 10 days to get a site out there to the masses and then actually used effectively.....

Go to work and make money.... best advice I can give.

DFF
01-26-2008, 02:24 AM
The disorganization has to come to an end or it will be our undoing.

As Franklin famously quipped "If we don't hang together we will hang separately."

Ergo I'm behind this idea $500%.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Like I said, I need project volunteers! More than two!

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 02:29 AM
The disorganization has to come to an end or will be our undoing.
As Franklin famously quipped "If we don't hang together we will hang separately."

So I'm behind this idea $500%.

This campaign will be my undoing...

Iowa student trip
2 hours of sleep a day
Door to Door work
1700 in donations
Organizer for 4 meetups
State grassroots organizer...
and now internet grassroots organizer...

I tell you what... This man better become President...

dreicher
01-26-2008, 02:30 AM

The problem is we always have n days to do everything and n seems to keep getting smaller and smaller. Why? Because there is little foresight and centralized planning in the grassroots. There is no alignment with HQ for gauging realistic needs.

However, there IS a LOT of brainpower, resources and energy to take this far beyond just seeing to it that The Paul's have to fill out a change-of-address form. Feb 5th is going to come and go and if a handful of supporters trying to organize something for the long haul and the general keeps up from hitting $5M - we weren't going to do it anyway.

newyearsrevolution08
01-26-2008, 02:30 AM
I think this is a great method to generating income for ron paul, might look through this thread for inspiration....

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=101030

DFF
01-26-2008, 02:39 AM
there IS a LOT of brainpower, resources and energy to take this far beyond just seeing to it that

When I think of the size of the grassroots, it reminds of me of a line from the song 'Five to One' by The Doors.

"They've got the guns but we've got the numbers. Gonna win yeah, we're taking over...come'on!"

dreicher
01-26-2008, 02:40 AM
I think this is a great method to generating income for ron paul, might look through this thread for inspiration....

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=101030

This isn't about fundraising, specifically. Everybody has 100 different fundraising ideas. There is no mechanism in place to qualify them, score them, market them and coordinate the efforts of a disconnected group.

You have to remember the day you "discovered" Ron Paul. Your immediate thoughts were "this is fantastic! what can I do?". Meetup groups are not for everybody. Some people want to be passive supporters. Others want to go full-hog. You need to be able to keep the "die hards" energized and focus and move the "passives" through a process of becoming "die hards". Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

With our abilities - we can begin to model that online, creating a "virtual political party" and gradually building that into a physical manifestation of the same.

Rhys
01-26-2008, 02:42 AM
seriously, every single feature you mentioned is in the opensource http://www.tikiwiki.org

it has Wikis (like Mediawiki)
Forums (like phpBB)
Blogs (like WordPress)
Articles (like Digg)
Image Gallery (like Flickr)
Map Server (like Google Maps)
Link Directory (like DMOZ)
Translation and i18n (like Babel Fish)
Bug tracker (like Bugzilla)
Free (LGPL)

and it's open source

either that, or we should use Microsoft Silverlight and .NET

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 02:43 AM
This isn't about fundraising, specifically. Everybody has 100 different fundraising ideas. There is no mechanism in place to qualify them, score them, market them and coordinate the efforts of a disconnected group.

You have to remember the day you "discovered" Ron Paul. Your immediate thoughts were "this is fantastic! what can I do?". Meetup groups are not for everybody. Some people want to be passive supporters. Others want to go full-hog. You need to be able to keep the "die hards" energized and focus and move the "passives" through a process of becoming "die hards". Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

With our abilities - we can begin to model that online, creating a "virtual political party" and gradually building that into a physical manifestation of the same.

Wow, I couldn't of said that better myself... lol, good job...

DFF
01-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Meetup groups are not for everybody. Some people want to be passive supporters

I fall into this category. I've never been to a meetup group -- but I've donated repeatedly and told everyone I know - and sometimes strangers - about Ron Paul.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 02:46 AM
seriously, every single feature you mentioned is in the opensource http://www.tikiwiki.org

it has Wikis (like Mediawiki)
Forums (like phpBB)
Blogs (like WordPress)
Articles (like Digg)
Image Gallery (like Flickr)
Map Server (like Google Maps)
Link Directory (like DMOZ)
Translation and i18n (like Babel Fish)
Bug tracker (like Bugzilla)
Free (LGPL)

and it's open source

either that, or we should use Microsoft Silverlight and .NET

All of these are good sites but we cant use them the way we need to use them.

newyearsrevolution08
01-26-2008, 02:48 AM
I take it you didn't read it then....

We have a headquarters ITS RIGHT HERE.
We need an idea - I gave you the link and they are doing it

Why would we need to take the time, qualifying, scoring instead of just getting money to ron paul?

I know we need to get the passive and die hards together. Everyone should be in a meetup group and have a solid local base one way or the other whether passive or not. Die hards should be precinct captains already and have a few passive and newbie recruits so to speak and they can of course show them the ropes both with donations and with local canvassing.

I see your point and understand it but remember we need to implement it and get it active. I just see this place as a main hot spot for rp supports and maybe if we just had a "sub forum" for this and just gave someone mod status to it. We can put a poll up about the different things to vote on if needed and then people will know which thing we will ALL go after.

I know the idea is great but there are always more sides then one......

Rhys
01-26-2008, 02:49 AM
All of these are good sites but we cant use them the way we need to use them.

don't see why not. it's all integrated.

Tiki is free, opensource software, licensed as LGPL. The project's philosphy is detailed in our social contract.
Tiki has all the features you want — wiki, news articles, blogs, polls, forums, trackers (database), image and file galleries, and much more — in a tightly bundled system.
Tiki has fine-grained user and group permissions. This allows you to easily give users access to exactly what they need.
Because Tiki uses a powerful templating engine (Smarty) you can easily customize a Tiki site to make it your own. Tiki's Site Identity and Theme Control features make it easy.
Tiki use of database abstraction (ADOdb) enables compatibility with many environments, including MySQL.
The Tiki project partners with Open Source Software actors. We leverage existing technologies and partner with field leaders whenever possible.
As a leading CMS application, Tiki has been nominated for, and received, several awards by the software community.
Tiki's active community includes nearly 300 developers and contributors to the code base and more than 12,000 registered users.
There is continuing, active development. On average, developers update the code (with new features and fixes) every two hours.
The official Tiki documentation, maintained by the Tiki community) contains more than 1,500 wiki pages and includes a fully illustrated PDF.

newyearsrevolution08
01-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Either way, I hope you get it going and it works out. I am not trying to argue a point just trying to point out the obvious but it doesn't seem to sink in. I hope it does get built, setup and works out amazingly.

nuff said on my part and cant wait to check it out!

JoBurke
01-26-2008, 02:52 AM
That is sick! do it!!!

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Well Rhys, you can join the team if you want or think you can do something, we will get this all worked our once we get enough team members.

Mckarnin
01-26-2008, 02:56 AM
Awesome idea!

Kotin
01-26-2008, 02:59 AM
awesome!

dreicher
01-26-2008, 03:15 AM
I think there is probably a small disconnect between what is being proposed and what is being discussed...

I'll take a look at TikiWiki; however, I'm not sure LGPL is in our best interest here. There may be legal implications and depending on the level of extending this to fit the particular needs of organizing a political movement - I'm not entirely sure that I would want that to be available for "anyone" to co-opt for any purpose they choose. (I wanted to clarify this is my opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Landon - the organizer. Just weighing in with my $.02)

Regarding getting the money to RP. My point was there are a great many ways to get money to the campaign if that is your goal. It is very necessary. However, the entire campaign is being carried on the shoulders of a relative few supporters. We need NEW money to continue to grow and support RP (and beyond).

Think of a church. You essentially have three "groups" of people. Seekers, believers and fanatics. Seekers may give something out of compulsion or simply because the amount they give is inconsequential to them. Believers will give out of a sense of belonging and support, but it will be out of their discretionary budget. Fanatics will pay the government, then the church and then their bills - in that order.

Obviously, the largest group is the seekers - so you've got a large group of people that will give you a chance to court them and little else. Believers will be your largest money source simply because they are so much bigger than fanatics. The "trick" is to devise a winning strategy for taking a seeker and making them a believer and taking believers and making them fanatics.

If you've ever made a post on this forum you are at the very least a "believer". And, just like a church setting (and to be rather frank) fanatics scare the hell out of believers and believers scare the hell out of seekers - so you have some forces working contrarily to overcome.

We need a mechanism for making that happen with RP's campaign (and beyond). I believe it can be "modeled" successfully online to get rapid short-term growth, but at some point would need to be realized in actuality to make any impact on policy.

Consider these additional points...

We talk about how HQ has too many people on the payroll, but where is the grassroots method for opposition research? If you're familiar with Amazon's Mechanical Turk program, think of a system where (for instance) believers could methodically divvy up John McCain's speeches of the last 15 years looking for areas where he was completely wrong on economic matters. Instead of half-a-dozen fanatics reading all the same stuff in redundancy, we can give a larger group a smaller share and pull the information together centrally.

The reason for qualifying and scoring an idea is so that there can be a concerted marketing effort to go with any initiative. A large percentage of reporters will simply copy-paste a press release into a story. PR-minded guys can take an initiative and with enough notice get good press (say what you want about the $ amount, but I believe a large part of the money bomb "story" was the personal story re: Trevor).

There are areas that a disconnected grassroots is beneficial and should be left to its own devices. There are, however, many areas where a more centralized resource is beneficial.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 03:24 AM
The trick is getting it all in and maintaining balance.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Anyone with technical expertise please join up on the project.

We can have more than one doing the same thing, please join up if you can do something!

Make sure you send me your name, skill, and contact info.
After I get a number of you on the project I will set all of us up to work together.

I will post those on the Project here:

Landon Walsh(cook) - Organizer

dreicher - Software Engineer / Web Design / Graphic Design

gyrmnix - software development / Server space (thankyou!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already on this project, set to launch within a week or so.

TheBonFire.com - Grassroots Organizational Project. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=82842)

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 03:39 AM
Already on this project, set to launch within a week or so.

TheBonFire.com - Grassroots Organizational Project. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=82842)

Are you working on this on your own?

defcreative
01-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Are you working on this on your own?

Yep, I've been at it for a little while.

I've got a lot of web development and programming experience with PHP, AJAX, Javascript, CSS, MySQL, etc.

I'm actually programming the google maps API application as we speak. :)

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 03:44 AM
Yep, I've been at it for a little while.

I've got a lot of web development and programming experience with PHP, AJAX, Javascript, CSS, MySQL, etc.

I'm actually programming the google maps API application as we speak. :)

Good, but have you seen the huck's user interface... I want that! It is top noch http://www.hucksarmy.com/

and can you show a picture of what your working with... I'm good in marketing and design and would love to help out. Can you take constructive criticism?

defcreative
01-26-2008, 03:45 AM
It looks as though great minds think alike huh? ;)

I took a look at TikiWiki right now and it is interesting as well, but I'm not so sure it is worth using that versus my original plan which was to pretty much integrate separate components (blog, vbulletin, RSS Ron Paul Forums ticker, and of course the custom News article / Activity planning code based around google map's API with article/activity rating ala Digg.

Rhys
01-26-2008, 03:49 AM

I took a look at TikiWiki right now and it is interesting as well, but I'm not so sure it is worth using that versus my original plan which was to pretty much integrate separate components (blog, vbulletin, RSS Ron Paul Forums ticker, and of course the custom News article / Activity planning code based around google map's API with article/activity rating ala Digg.

that sounds real cool. i don't want to sound like i need a room with tiki, but it has a map server and I don't think it would be hard to link the other features to it. Digg, rss, blogs, forums... seriously everything including member profiles i think would be easy.

it really depends on how far along you are

defcreative
01-26-2008, 03:50 AM
Good, but have you seen the huck's user interface... I want that! It is top noch http://www.hucksarmy.com/

and can you show a picture of what your working with... I'm good in marketing and design and would love to help out. Can you take constructive criticism?

Their site looks okay, I'm sure I will do better. I have been working with graphics design, particularly web design for about 8 years. Unfortunately for you, I've decided to handle graphics design last this time around (since I usually design the GUI first, then program later). This project is pretty programming intensive since I need a lot of custom applications, so I did it programming first I need to go back and skin it.

Since you asked so kindly, I may be able to show you a demo tomorrow with some screenshots of the design, but I cannot pull up anything right now for you.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. ;)

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 03:50 AM

Yeah, i've really been pushing the Projects rating system... it will give some sanity to all the 1000s of creative ideas that are pushed out by this forum.

But as a designer, the layout i was designing make sure to focus on a very (KISS) sort of layout with many subsections. Cluttered pages turn me off quicker than anything.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 03:53 AM
that sounds real cool. i don't want to sound like i need a room with tiki, but it has a map server and I don't think it would be hard to link the other features to it. Digg, rss, blogs, forums... seriously everything including member profiles i think would be easy.

it really depends on how far along you are

I just saw that module you're talking about.

Meh. Hmm.

I am going to look at it a little deeper, maybe I'll salvage the code I have done and adopt a temporary Wiki-based system that is a functional "beta V0.1" and keep updating it while the grassroots gets use out of it.

My program will look a lot cleaner, as it already does even unskinned, but I think that we are facing a serious time constraint here and it may be wise to adopt the currently available code from Wiki.

I'm going to download the source and see what I would be working with.

I'll get back to you guys.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 03:53 AM
Their site looks okay, I'm sure I will do better. I have been working with graphics design, particularly web design for about 8 years. Unfortunately for you, I've decided to handle graphics design last this time around (since I usually design the GUI first, then program later). This project is pretty programming intensive since I need a lot of custom applications, so I did it programming first I need to go back and skin it.

Since you asked so kindly, I may be able to show you a demo tomorrow with some screenshots of the design, but I cannot pull up anything right now for you.

Great! Sounds like a plan... I feel bad that you've been taking on alot of work by yourself... I wasn't about to do graphics and programing both... So far I have dreicher for Software development / Web Design / Graphic Design, and gyrmnix for software development / Server space

I just saw that module you're talking about.

Meh. Hmm.

I am going to look at it a little deeper, maybe I'll salvage the code I have done and adopt a temporary Wiki-based system that is a functional "beta V0.1" and keep updating it while the grassroots gets use out of it.

My program will look a lot cleaner, as it already does even unskinned, but I think that we are facing a serious time constraint here and it may be wise to adopt the currently available code from Wiki.

I'm going to download the source and see what I would be working with.

I'll get back to you guys.

I loved it! I love its potential uses as well.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Yeah, i've really been pushing the Projects rating system... it will give some sanity to all the 1000s of creative ideas that are pushed out by this forum.

But as a designer, the layout i was designing make sure to focus on a very (KISS) sort of layout with many subsections. Cluttered pages turn me off quicker than anything.

Yep, mine was a very clean web 2.0 style design with rich red/maroon/black/white/blue scheme.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 03:56 AM
I feel bad that you've been taking on alot of work by yourself.

No need to feel bad bud, since you do this type of stuff I'm sure you know about the mornings working until dawn with no sleep for 30+ hours. ;)

Good for me though that I haven't been pushed to that point, yet. I may make that sacrifice to get the project up on time.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 03:57 AM
Yep, mine was a very clean web 2.0 style design with rich red/maroon/black/white/blue scheme.

Lovely! What about the whole live support idea...

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 03:59 AM

Lovely! What about the whole live support idea... or any of the others expressed...

My biggest worry with the project was what i've been getting from emails.... alot of people want alot of things on that main page. I don't do that, simple layouts are successful layouts.

Derek Johnson
01-26-2008, 04:02 AM
We need a daily money bomb.

Or maybe hourly money bombs everyday.

Or maybe we need to get off the computer and go door to door, nursing home to nursing home, university to university.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 04:02 AM
Lovely! What about the whole live support idea... or any of the others expressed...

I like the ideas, I think they can be done. To be totally honest I'm not sure what you mean by "Live Support". Are you talking about a live support system for users to ask questions to administrators using a sort of AJAX or Java Applet system?

defcreative
01-26-2008, 04:03 AM
We need a daily money bomb.

Or maybe hourly money bombs everyday.

Or maybe we need to get off the computer and go door to door, nursing home to nursing home, university to university.

I like the idea on the "Bam! How we can raise 23 million dollars" page, we could tie it into this site.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 04:04 AM
I'm trying to look over the code while writing this, but do you know by any chance if RonPaulForums.com has a RSS feed?

Rhys
01-26-2008, 04:05 AM
I'm trying to look over the code while writing this, but do you know by any chance if RonPaulForums.com has a RSS feed?

I have a vbuliten site. it can accept rss and it can export xml for anything

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 04:08 AM
I like the idea on the "Bam! How we can raise 23 million dollars" page, we could tie it into this site.

So no market for it? Has to be set as a Project and put on the rating market. (thats the brilliance of the project)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=35873

Edu
01-26-2008, 04:12 AM
Do not start a ice cream store if you don't want to scoop ice cream. Meaning, if you can't program a web site like that, don't start one. You are going to run into times where you need to do some fixing yourself.

Not to say you can't help some technical guy direct himself towards the proper "marketing" of the site, but not to run it.

And that's my 2 cents.

Oh, and the digg API is available for download (I think).

defcreative
01-26-2008, 04:16 AM
So no market for it? Has to be set as a Project and put on the rating market. (thats the brilliance of the project)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=35873

Oh no, I totally agree about the free market principles of the site (haha, why not adopt RP's principles on our own grassroots site huh :p )

Good stuff about the RSS feed, because I was torn about whether or not to create a separate forum or to use ronpaulforums, but since we have a RSS feed we can show the latest posts on the site and tie the site into the current forums without "reinventing the wheel" so to speak.

I'm looking over wiki's code and its good (thank god cause fixing crappy code is the worst thing ever). So I'm going to officially abandon the idea of a completely custom coded site and pick up development on my local webserver and see what I can pump out by tomorrow.

Frankly right now I'm really tired and had a long day so I'm going to get some rest because I'll be having a lot of work to handle tomorrow.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 04:20 AM
Do not start a ice cream store if you don't want to scoop ice cream. Meaning, if you can't program a web site like that, don't start one. You are going to run into times where you need to do some fixing yourself.

Not to say you can't help some technical guy direct himself towards the proper "marketing" of the site, but not to run it.

And that's my 2 cents.

You wouldn't want an external API for digg, that would only to be submitting stories to digg. Its alright though, that code is already completely done, so porting it over shouldn't be too hard.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 04:21 AM

And that's my 2 cents.

I don't know if your talking about me or def's project...
Who says everyone working toward this goal can't or won't though?

I'm just good at marketing, organizing, and making money...

You wouldn't want an external API for digg, that would only to be submitting stories to digg. Its alright though, that code is already completely done, so porting it over shouldn't be too hard.

I'm not too sure we have the same idea for a main grassroots site...

sharpsteve2003
01-26-2008, 04:23 AM
//

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 04:25 AM
Oh no, I totally agree about the free market principles of the site (haha, why not adopt RP's principles on our own grassroots site huh :p )

Good stuff about the RSS feed, because I was torn about whether or not to create a separate forum or to use ronpaulforums, but since we have a RSS feed we can show the latest posts on the site and tie the site into the current forums without "reinventing the wheel" so to speak.

I'm looking over wiki's code and its good (thank god cause fixing crappy code is the worst thing ever). So I'm going to officially abandon the idea of a completely custom coded site and pick up development on my local webserver and see what I can pump out by tomorrow.

Frankly right now I'm really tired and had a long day so I'm going to get some rest because I'll be having a lot of work to handle tomorrow.

That’s why I was going to have multiple programmers working on this... ;)
If you really want to get as much custom in as possable, and I know I do... maybe you would like to open up some design and code for a bigger project team?

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Much of what your describing is already set up through https://www.ronpaul2008.com

It breaks down this way. National HQ, State Organizer, County Organizer, Precinct Leader, Volunteers, Ron Paul voters.

This provides the structure and sets up lines of communication. Most all resources are there (Maps, walking list, training videos, phone scripts, etc) and improvements are being made Daily to make it more user friendly while keeping info secure, so that no one is accessing info that should not be. (Trolls) Once you sign up as Precinct leader you have access to contact others in your county so we can coordinate from National HQ to State level, County on down to Precinct and volunteers. Meet up groups can be brought into this to help get the work done. All Meet-up members should be either Precinct leaders or Volunteers. They do this by signing up with Ronpaul2008.com. Then they register as a volunteer if they do not want to be a precinct leader, so their contact info is in there and they can be called upon to help. With this and using they Meet up Groups, we can become one with the National Campaign. This in no way limits the average person from doing other things through other Groups that cannot work with the Campaign because of legal issues.

For instance your county could get together through Meet-ups and organize maybe doing lit drops in teams so no one is left trying to do it on their own. I suggest getting an Ink stamp to put your number or a local contact for that area so Paul voters can quickly get hooked in on the local level. Some areas will figure out what will work best for them depending on a variety of reasons.

Then as a county you can put your info together and have, for example call4paul make the calls to identify Ron Paul voters for about 2 cent a call. They would be calling people who have hopefully already received lit. Then they would return info they collect back to us to enter into the system. This would weed out bad numbers and identify Ron Paul voters in your area. Also making calls first saves you from going door to door to every house for canvasing. A phone bank in your area can be set up, or you can do it on your own. I believe, from talking to them, you can work with call4paul to help set it up in your area using their methods and technology. Again, this is all whatever works best for your local area. I’m just giving some examples of what can be done.

You then take that info and get those Ron Paul voters into the system and plug them into the structure where they want and need to be. Maybe as a precinct leader, volunteer or into meet ups. If nothing else we now have identified them as a Paul voter and can get them signs and some slim jims so they can pass it on to others. Once your a Paul voter you usually can't shut up so they will be getting the word out whether a volunteer or not.

Next you do the canvassing hitting those left over, adding info still not collected and win over more Ron Paul voters. Also your entering what info you collect on the non Ron Paul voters. Mitt votes, non-voters, Dems and so on. We want to know how everyone is going to vote. This gives us numbers of voters for each candidate in each precinct that can be checked when it's time to vote. Everyone just keeps working the lists on a county and precinct level. Just keep going over the list till you have covered everyone, if possible, in your area. This can be used to target areas that need more Paul votes or that have not been gotten to yet for whatever the reason.

Lets not duplicate what is already being done. This is our chance to be organized and make the most of our time, reaching Paul voters as fast as we can and building on that. Also it connects us to the National campaign. So if you feel Precinct Leader is not for your thing, you can still play a huge part by signing up as a volunteer. So the steps Everyone should take are:

1. Join the Campaign here: http://www.ronpaul2008.com/join
Everyone should join the campaign if you haven't yet.

2. Register here to volunteer for the Campaign. https://www.ronpaul2008.com/volunteer/registration/
Everyone should be registered as a volunteer if you haven't yet.

3. If you are ready for the next level or there is no Precinct Leader in your Precinct as of yet, Become a Ron Paul Precinct Leader. Doing this get you access to info for your precinct. https://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/signup.php (http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/signup.php?r=sharpsteve2003@yahoo.com)

We are all veteran members here... your preaching to the quire. And I know all about the main site, and I am a Precinct leader, area leader, four time meetup organizer, state organizer, and all of that other grand stuff.

What we are working on... well, what I was working on is diffrent and your totaly missing the point of the project.

Seriously.... who are you?...

You sound like a campaign staff guy.

sharpsteve2003
01-26-2008, 04:36 AM
Never mind then.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 04:39 AM
Never mind then.

The point of the project is to harness a market for grassroots ideas(like those of the blimp and the money bomb), help new people find their meetups, and to have something tangible with the grassroots after this election is over...

To create a intellectual market, and grassroots figurehead that will last into future campaigns...

How does the HQ do that?

Michigan11
01-26-2008, 04:41 AM
The point of the project is to harness a market for grassroots ideas(like those of the blimp and the money bomb), help new people find their meetups, and to have something tangible with the grassroots after this election is over...

To create a intellectual market, and grassroots figurehead that will last into future campaigns...

How does the HQ do that?

I love your idea - we need this. Timing is everything!

defcreative
01-26-2008, 04:43 AM
I'm not too sure we have the same idea for a main grassroots site...

You want a rating system ala digg that allows users to "Dig" or "Bury" ideas, activities, etc. This code was designed for my site and is functioning properly. I am now going to need to port this system over to the Wiki-based site. I think you misunderstood what I had meant.

I am a mess this second since I just changed so many plans with my site by deciding to switch over to Wiki like 25 mins ago, lol, so I am not ready to open the project yet because it wouldn't be useful for anyone at this second. I will need a bit of time to organize things for everyone then I would be happy to let other members in to help on the project.

I was going to open a sourceforge.net project for it, but I guess we probably don't want it completely open source.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 04:45 AM

How does the HQ do that?

EXACTLY!

That is why I am not naming it directly after Ron Paul, even though we are going to actively be sponsoring the campaign. My vision was a site that will play as a home for the movement, an online meeting place if you will, which is why I feel "The Bonfire" is appropriate.

"Gather Around" :)

Wyurm
01-26-2008, 04:46 AM
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you can't herd cats. This started out as just an organized website project, but then I see mention of what people need to stop donating to and how they need to start doing this and that. You are dealing with an unusual mix of people here. The Huckabee grassroots can get away with what you are trying to do because they obey. They will do what they are told to just as the vast majority of Americans will. This candidate and forum attracts first and foremost the kind of people who won't obey. People who can and will govern themselves. It has been referred to as "herding cats". Yes, it does make it difficult to win the election using old school methods, however, let's keep in mind that the herd mentality is what got us where we are today as a nation.

I'm not telling you to stop, only telling you what you are up against. I've seen this occur many times before and it usually ends the same. I wish you luck, we let the free market decide here and if I am wrong, hopefully this will win Dr. Paul the election. If I am right, the project will die.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 04:51 AM
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you can't herd cats. This started out as just an organized website project, but then I see mention of what people need to stop donating to and how they need to start doing this and that. You are dealing with an unusual mix of people here. The Huckabee grassroots can get away with what you are trying to do because they obey. They will do what they are told to just as the vast majority of Americans will. This candidate and forum attracts first and foremost the kind of people who won't obey. People who can and will govern themselves. It has been referred to as "herding cats". Yes, it does make it difficult to win the election using old school methods, however, let's keep in mind that the herd mentality is what got us where we are today as a nation.

I'm not telling you to stop, only telling you what you are up against. I've seen this occur many times before and it usually ends the same. I wish you luck, we let the free market decide here and if I am wrong, hopefully this will win Dr. Paul the election. If I am right, the project will die.

I have no intent to herd cats... I'm a capitalist

The campaign herds cats more than anyone... I don't work that way. (I've also said nothing about donations whatsoever)

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 04:53 AM
EXACTLY!

That is why I am not naming it directly after Ron Paul, even though we are going to actively be sponsoring the campaign. My vision was a site that will play as a home for the movement, an online meeting place if you will, which is why I feel "The Bonfire" is appropriate.

"Gather Around" :)

I'm just being honest but, im not too sure about the bonfire thing... I don't have a better idea for a name... im just being a critic.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 04:55 AM

I respect your opinion greatly, but I think that this project has a far greater individuality element to it then you are giving it credit for. This movement is about one goal: freedom, and we are all friends to each other in this quest. This site is more a place to ask for backup from your fellow brothers and sisters of freedom in perusing your individual ideas.

Good ideas will last, bad ones will fail, just as we have already seen with this grassroots movement anyways. Look at the money bombs, they were successful and I did not hear anyone say "NO YOU WONT TELL MEEE WHEN TO DONATE!!!11oneone!!". Most were willing to help out their fellow patrons.

This helping of one another towards the greater goal is what will make this project work, everyone has been saying that we need more organization for a long time. Now we are getting a glimpse of it.

It is far more powerful then just money bombs, think of being able to arrange a mass-canvassing all over the United States at EXACTLY the same time with hundreds of thousands of people covering 90% of the most populated areas, with people taking the exact areas that they want to, all shown in real time on a google maps application.

That's what I call powerful and useful. I doubt such a tool will ever just die off.

(now I'll step down from the soap box)

edit: BTW, I'm just ranting, no flame intended in any way.

Rhys
01-26-2008, 04:57 AM
The Idea Exchange works for me

defcreative
01-26-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm just being honest but, im not too sure about the bonfire thing... I don't have a better idea for a name... im just being a critic.

No problem with that, I like it because I was thinking of all the little things that will be tied into the theme of the site. Also it is brandable and makes one think of a casual meeting place, well, like a bonfire. If you come up with another idea feel free to shoot.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 05:03 AM
The Idea Exchange works for me

It would be cool if wasn't IMPOSSIBLE in every way, shape, and form to get any domain name that resembles that name.

Its foolish to use anything that isn't a .com, has hyphens in it, or a lot of letters and numbers.

IMO anything that has "freedom" or anything of that nature will sound far too "left-wing-activist-ish" and will *hurt the potential user base.

edited: *

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 05:08 AM
It would be cool if wasn't IMPOSSIBLE in every way, shape, and form to get any domain name that resembles that name.

Its foolish to use anything that isn't a .com, has hyphens in it, or a lot of letters and numbers.

IMO anything that has "freedom" or anything of that nature will sound far too "left-wing-activist-ish" and will the potential user base.

I like http://TheLibertyTree.com/ some RP supporter has it... im sure we could convince him to give it up.

It is neutral, freedom oriented, and catchy!

It would tie in to the renaming of this fourm on down the line... (libertyforest)

defcreative
01-26-2008, 05:11 AM
I like http://TheLibertyTree.com/ some RP supporter has it... im sure we could convince him to give it up.

Not a bad domain name there, wonder if he'd give it up. I feel like we would need to use a more earthy color scheme with that domain though lol. I don't feel like the name conveys the idea of "meeting up" though but it sounds pleasant.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 05:14 AM
I don't know, I think we should concentrate on getting the site up, names can be changed very easily. We should keep coming up with ideas and eventually let the community vote on it.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 05:16 AM
I don't know, I think we should concentrate on getting the site up, names can be changed very easily. We should keep coming up with ideas and eventually let the community vote on it.

I just saw something longterm with TheLibertyTree... I think I might get a tattoo if it was good... lol...

Not a bad domain name there, wonder if he'd give it up. I feel like we would need to use a more earthy color scheme with that domain though lol. I don't feel like the name conveys the idea of "meeting up" though but it sounds pleasant.

Whats wrong with earthy? And I have ideas on ways to balance it so it doesn't have earthy! But more patriotic...

I'm thinking, Tree stamp on the side, with green/black interface, and blueish patriotic background

Libertytree.org is also open...

goldstandard
01-26-2008, 05:43 AM
Landon, pm me for graphics.

DFF
01-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Libertytree.org is also open...

Good name...but what about neorevolution.org?

BTW -- Check your Inbox when you get a chance.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 05:45 AM
I'm going to bed guys... I will go back to work when i wake up. lol, goodmorning....

DFF
01-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Night.

jrich4rpaul
01-26-2008, 05:56 AM
make sure to include Precinct Leader stuff

newmedia4ron
01-26-2008, 06:10 AM
either just do it or stop talking about it
we don't have time for more websites

Do you know your polling place?
Are you a precinct leader?
Are you registered?
Are your converts registered?
Are you a delegate?
Have you applied to be a Poll Worker and/or Vote Count Watcher?
Have you recruited other supporters to become delegates?
Have you verified (from the horse’s mouth) that Ron Paul will be on your state’s ballot?
Do you attend GOP meetings (township - county – state)?
Have you canvassed collecting names and phone numbers and sent it to HQ?
Have you promoted Ron Paul to Christian media and ProLife groups?
Do you ask your local television stations to profile/interview Ron Paul?
Do you write letters to you local newspapers?
Have you promoted Ron Paul at gunshows, anti-war rallies, prolife meetings, etc?
Have you passed out registration forms to young supporters?
Do you call talk radio shows and pitch Ron Paul?
Do you have the names, addresses, and phone numbers of your meetup members to be ready to mobilize when needed?
Have you hit the streets passing out DVDs/literature?
Is your meetup inactive? Then do canvassing/lit drops by yourself.
Have you attempted to get your local public access channel to play Ron Paul videos such as his previous interviews in public access shows?

etc, etc, etc.

jk8583
01-26-2008, 06:10 AM
looks good. we need a more organized project system. just a list at the very least at least. might have one, but i've looked and havent come across anything.

DFF
01-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I liked the new site concept. The concept seems very....organized.

FreeTraveler
01-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Well, since they'll be renaming RPF as Liberty Forest after the election, the bonfire thing kinda fits. :) I'm not completely sold on it either, though.

GraspingForPeace
01-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Bump this, this is what I have been looking for and need

ecliptic
01-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Iowa student trip
2 hours of sleep a day
Door to Door work
1700 in donations
Organizer for 4 meetups
State grassroots organizer...
and now internet grassroots organizer...

THANK YOU for all your hard work and dedication to the cause! You are a true patriot!

ecliptic
01-26-2008, 10:41 AM
... just do it

Do you know your polling place?
Are you a precinct leader?
Are you registered?
Are your converts registered?
Are you a delegate?
Have you applied to be a Poll Worker and/or Vote Count Watcher?
Have you recruited other supporters to become delegates?
Have you verified (from the horse’s mouth) that Ron Paul will be on your state’s ballot?
Do you attend GOP meetings (township - county – state)?
Have you canvassed collecting names and phone numbers and sent it to HQ?
Have you promoted Ron Paul to Christian media and ProLife groups?
Do you ask your local television stations to profile/interview Ron Paul?
Do you write letters to you local newspapers?
Have you promoted Ron Paul at gunshows, anti-war rallies, prolife meetings, etc?
Have you passed out registration forms to young supporters?
Do you call talk radio shows and pitch Ron Paul?
Do you have the names, addresses, and phone numbers of your meetup members to be ready to mobilize when needed?
Have you hit the streets passing out DVDs/literature?
Is your meetup inactive? Then do canvassing/lit drops by yourself.
Have you attempted to get your local public access channel to play Ron Paul videos such as his previous interviews in public access shows?

etc, etc, etc.

+2008

PimpBlimp
01-26-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm decent with photoshop, just PM if you need any help.

Shink
01-26-2008, 10:52 AM
All I hear is beeps and boops, youz robuts.

Cleaner44
01-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I have a suggestion if you are looking for ideas. Allow members to register by location. We need a way organize by state, county, town & precinct.

bcreps85
01-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Great idea, keep it up!

DDMX
01-26-2008, 11:36 AM
bump

Andrew76
01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Just playing devil's advocate here, but... You don't think this is going to split up an already disparate support base? This site, it seems to be, has become the defacto Ron Paul Grassroots headquarters. All the things you're hoping to get done on your proposed webiste, are already happening here. So... why the push for another site?

I'm having a hard time seeing the difference between the kind of site you're advocating and the one we're all on now. Furthermore, what would seem more "organized," would still be another site with a hundred different things happening on it. Just like this one. I cast my own vote for Ronpaulforums.com, the freemarket of Ron Paul's ideas.

Better use of your time: become a precinct leader (if you aren't already). Write letters, join a meetup, etc., etc...

And other's suggesting to have a way to "register people by location..." Um... again, aren't we trying to reinvent the wheel here? Meetup.org anyone? All of the web ideas suggested here already exist, and have set precedents as being "THE place to go for x, y or z." Again, we don't need to reinvent the wheel, we need to roll on the wheels we've already got!

Exarel
01-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Great work, please see it through. We need more stuff like this, more organization, more leadership from within the grassroots.

mavtek
01-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Not bad, but the precinct leader thing is evolving to be pretty good, also something I'm already doing locally is letting Google manage a domain for me, and I've invited local meetup people to get email address' from there and it's free etc. For instance we can share docs, email, a calendar, and it's all free and actually better than meetup.

My gmail is precinct_2143@dfwgop.com a domain I purchased and use when I canvass.

goldstandard
01-26-2008, 12:29 PM
bump

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
either just do it or stop talking about it
we don't have time for more websites

Do you know your polling place? Yes
Are you a precinct leader? Yes
Are you registered? Yes
Are your converts registered? Yes
Are you a delegate? Yes
Have you applied to be a Poll Worker and/or Vote Count Watcher? Yes
Have you recruited other supporters to become delegates? Yes
Have you verified (from the horse’s mouth) that Ron Paul will be on your state’s ballot? Yes
Do you attend GOP meetings (township - county – state)? Yes!, in five countrys! another one monday
Have you canvassed collecting names and phone numbers and sent it to HQ? Yes
Have you promoted Ron Paul to Christian media and ProLife groups? Yes
Do you ask your local television stations to profile/interview Ron Paul? Yes
Do you write letters to you local newspapers? Yes
Have you promoted Ron Paul at gunshows, anti-war rallies, prolife meetings, etc? Yes
Have you passed out registration forms to young supporters? Yes
Do you call talk radio shows and pitch Ron Paul? Yes, We have radio ads in all 4 of my meetups!
Do you have the names, addresses, and phone numbers of your meetup members to be ready to mobilize when needed? Yes
Have you hit the streets passing out DVDs/literature? Yes
Is your meetup inactive? Then do canvassing/lit drops by yourself. I have the best damn meetups in Arkansas, 150 people per meeting that rolls in 1400 dollars a week...
Have you attempted to get your local public access channel to play Ron Paul videos such as his previous interviews in public access shows? Yes

etc, etc, etc.

This shit pisses me off so fucking much... go away!
Seriously, at this point I think I can do whatever I want...

I've done all of that plus some... have you?

ValidusCustodiae
01-26-2008, 01:06 PM
beep. boop.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Great work, please see it through. We need more stuff like this, more organization, more leadership from within the grassroots.

I want to organize this with other anti-war movements as well...

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 02:20 PM
No problem with that, I like it because I was thinking of all the little things that will be tied into the theme of the site. Also it is brandable and makes one think of a casual meeting place, well, like a bonfire. If you come up with another idea feel free to shoot.

Everything I have here I consider a top priority^^^

RonPaulForums / Projects Forum / Live Support / Grassroots U.S Map / News Ticker

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 06:40 PM

You there?

Sentinelrv
01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
We should make this the forum for the new site, that way everybody gets transferred to the new site automatically.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 07:03 PM
You there?

Yep, I'm here and I am putting myself to work right now.

I went ahead and cracked open illustrator and photoshop to put together a design to showcase for everyone.

We should make this the forum for the new site, that way everybody gets transferred to the new site automatically.

Yes, that is what I was planning on doing (having this to be the forum for the site). No sense in jumbling everyone up, the community going on here is good. I wouldn't be able to automatically add everyone without harvesting this site's database, which I doubt the admins would be thrilled with. I think that taking a minute to sign up on the new site will not be too hard for everyone to manage. ;)

Revolution9
01-26-2008, 07:05 PM

I do not come here to get transferred thank you very much.

HTH
Randy

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 07:06 PM

HTH
Randy

Thats not going to happen...

smartpeople4ronpaul
01-26-2008, 07:07 PM
When I pitched this idea a few weeks ago, I was yelled at and called a troll......WTF?

People said that the "artistic flow helps more work get done"

QUOTED.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Everything I have here I consider a top priority^^^

RonPaulForums / Projects Forum / Live Support / Grassroots U.S Map / News Ticker

Hey Landon, it would be excellent if you went ahead and prepared content for the U.S. grassroots map, live support, and whatever else that you feel is real important to get on the site. I can handle the Live Support, RonPaulForums RSS integration, News Ticker, and all of the "Architecture" of the website.

That would be a killer way to split up some of the workload since it is going to be near impossible for me to design any content since I'll be mostly busy with the actual site framework.

defcreative
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM

HTH
Randy

No worries, that will not be happening.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey Landon, it would be excellent if you went ahead and prepared content for the U.S. grassroots map, live support, and whatever else that you feel is real important to get on the site. I can handle the Live Support, RonPaulForums RSS integration, News Ticker, and all of the "Architecture" of the website.

That would be a killer way to split up some of the workload since it is going to be near impossible for me to design any content since I'll be mostly busy with the actual site framework.

Better yet, I'll have the community pitch in...

LibertyForever
01-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Any Idea when the new site will be up? :D

Opulen
01-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Great Idea! Keep it up!!

yongrel
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
ooh, spiffy

jake
01-26-2008, 07:29 PM
there must be some great tech savvy people here who can help with the graphics and coding aspects of this.. lest we hire Hucks Army ;)

thechitowncubs
01-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Just so you guys know, Daily Paul is planning on doing a revamp of their site to be a more central hub for info.

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/28391

whutaboutbob
01-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I am in.. please link it up when we can get over there and help. I am a novice, but I'll share my wit and modest donation all day!

:cool:

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I am in.. please link it up when we can get over there and help. I am a novice, but I'll share my wit and modest donation all day!

:cool:

Well, we are on hold untill we can find everyone doing this.... so far there are 4, and im the only one trying to get everyone together on this.

Rhys
01-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I want to organize this with other anti-war movements as well...

we're not an anti war movement... other doesn't apply

FreeTraveler
01-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Are you "reinventing the wheel" as far as meetup groups are concerned? I'd rather see full integration of RPF and Meetup than replacing that functionality. You already have thousands of RPF members and almost 100,000 Meetup members. It's critical to reach out to those two groups, since they contain the vast majority of the activists.

Shink
01-26-2008, 07:47 PM

Man, EVERYONE says we ARE or ARE NOT this or that kind of movement. The fact is, most people like Ron's anti-war stance. Whether GOP nominee or third party candidate, he'll be THE anti-war candidate. I think the distinguishment you want to make is we're not a Dem 'anti-war' movement.

LandonCook
01-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Are you "reinventing the wheel" as far as meetup groups are concerned? I'd rather see full integration of RPF and Meetup than replacing that functionality. You already have thousands of RPF members and almost 100,000 Meetup members. It's critical to reach out to those two groups, since they contain the vast majority of the activists.

Thats what We are doing....

(gawd, i wish people would read through everything first)

dshields
01-26-2008, 07:52 PM
paulhive.com :D

ClockwiseSpark
01-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Make it so.

http://www.mudvillegazette.com/milblogs/picard.gif

Rhys
01-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Man, EVERYONE says we ARE or ARE NOT this or that kind of movement. The fact is, most people like Ron's anti-war stance. Whether GOP nominee or third party candidate, he'll be THE anti-war candidate. I think the distinguishment you want to make is we're not a Dem 'anti-war' movement.

not at all. I wanted to say we're not an anti-war movemnet.

if you try to make this some sort of MoveOn.org, i'll be very turned off. I'm an old school republican who loves RP's fiscal conservatism. I'm sold on his FP, but I am not an anti-war guy.

Shink
01-26-2008, 07:56 PM

if you try to make this some sort of MoveOn.org, i'll be very turned off. I'm an old school republican who loves RP's fiscal conservatism. I'm sold on his FP, but I am not an anti-war guy.

I'm anti-war. I'm a veteran who was actually IN war. I have every right to hate this bullshit war and it should be understandable. I don't have a goddamn thing to do with bullshit Democrap websites or bowel movements. I have PERSONAL experience guiding my viewpoints.

Rhys
01-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm anti-war. I'm a veteran who was actually IN war. I have every right to hate this bullshit war and it should be understandable. I don't have a goddamn thing to do with bullshit Democrap websites or bowel movements. I have PERSONAL experience guiding my viewpoints.

yeah, i have personal experiences too. That's why we're a freedom movement and not an anti-war movement. you can rail against the war, i'll rail against the abuse of big government... we'll work together.

that's why we're not an anti-war movement

RPLiberty1
01-26-2008, 08:20 PM
yeah, i have personal experiences too. That's why we're a freedom movement and not an anti-war movement. you can rail against the war, i'll rail against the abuse of big government... we'll work together.

that's why we're not an anti-war movement

+2008

thewolf7=1976
01-27-2008, 01:21 AM
I had some similiar thoughts about what to do in the future. We will need a Liberty minded congress as well as a president, so we definately need a broader platform to accomplish that goal. This would mean an organized way to spread information about Liberty candidates as well as a platform for fundraising.

Some ideas...

--I like the map of the US and your ideas for that. If it is possible maybe have each state reflect the actual Counties and Precincts after you click on that state. So I would join and register my address and it puts me on the map in my precinct. I would also state if I am a GOP member. That info would be only visible according to what membership. (see below). If this can be done the site can mirror the actual republican party and also carry on the Precinct Captain idea. Each state could elect a chairman to act as Lieutenants to the national General which we would also elect through the site. A treasurer would also be needed for the War Chest (see below). To accomplish our goals we will have to "infiltrate" the GOP, this could show our progress. A real organizational structure is needed, but a very streamlined one.

--Have a tiered membership, meaning it is free to join and look around, read posts, post ideas etc... Tier 2, for maybe a $25 membership would allow you to see others in your state who are members and vote on ideas posted. You would also get a "Liberty Tree" pin to wear to your local GOP meetings, that way we can ID each other without broadcasting it. Tier 3 would be a big jump to $250 and that would allow you to see the whole map and some extra tools and maybe you get a real gold "Liberty Tree" pin, cheesy but kinda cool. These are just rough ideas about what tier would allow what please brainstorm.

--The membership fee would be for the site upkeep but mainly for creating a War Chest for our Liberty candidates. This would probably require a PAC, i'm not sure how deep you wanted to go with this. If not that far the membership fee I guess could be scrapped. The accounting for the site would need to have a lot of "Sunlight".

--My vision is for a site is to allow the serious grassroots people to really organize and be able to help get Reps elected all over the country. It does not matter anymore about what state they come from we just need a majority in the House to be able to block bogus bills. And then later the Senate to help pass Liberty legislation. The tiered membership would help weed out trolls, only paying members could "rate" an idea. I really would like to have a voting system that did not have to exclude anyone based on money, again just rough ideas here...
The voting system would need to be very secure, we want real votes for the ideas.

--Scenario: At my local GOP meeting I find out there is a Liberty minded person who wants to run for Congress. I get them hooked in with the site and into our system. The members of the site in that district would talk to the cadidate and see if they like them, if so we start organizing and kicking around ideas on the site. The members vote or rate ideas and off we go. The elected national General and state Lieutenants along with input from Precinct captains decide on campaign strategy and fundraising etc...

--If we could get thelibertytree.com that would be great.

Sorry for the long post, more ideas will come.

Charles S.
I am a Precinct Captain by the way!

pacelli
01-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Terrific idea!

nate895
01-27-2008, 01:28 AM

I'm glad you used San Joaquin County, that's where I lived when I lived in CA.

DFF
01-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Looks awesome. :)

Jane Aitken
01-27-2008, 04:52 AM

Exactly.... and Meetups...well I never had much luck getting 400 of them to help where needed in NH for one of the largest tasks we faced... we need to get people offline and out there! And they can't be afraid to work with the GOP who are your best bet for the fiscal stuff...which to me is the root of it all.

Jane Aitken
01-27-2008, 04:54 AM
Just so you guys know, Daily Paul is planning on doing a revamp of their site to be a more central hub for info.

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/28391

And I've already got one up here:

www.ronpaulhive.com

It's got a lot of downloads you can use, that we got from the woman who printed the Lepard ad...

Jane Aitken
01-27-2008, 04:55 AM

This is troublesome. And, what's with the black fist? Looks more like something from Che Guevara to me!

Jane Aitken
01-27-2008, 05:00 AM
I had some similiar thoughts about what to do in the future. We will need a Liberty minded congress as well as a president, so we definately need a broader platform to accomplish that goal. This would mean an organized way to spread information about Liberty candidates as well as a platform for fundraising.

Some ideas...

--I like the map of the US and your ideas for that. If it is possible maybe have each state reflect the actual Counties and Precincts after you click on that state. So I would join and register my address and it puts me on the map in my precinct. I would also state if I am a GOP member. That info would be only visible according to what membership. (see below). If this can be done the site can mirror the actual republican party and also carry on the Precinct Captain idea. Each state could elect a chairman to act as Lieutenants to the national General which we would also elect through the site. A treasurer would also be needed for the War Chest (see below). To accomplish our goals we will have to "infiltrate" the GOP, this could show our progress. A real organizational structure is needed, but a very streamlined one.

--Have a tiered membership, meaning it is free to join and look around, read posts, post ideas etc... Tier 2, for maybe a $25 membership would allow you to see others in your state who are members and vote on ideas posted. You would also get a "Liberty Tree" pin to wear to your local GOP meetings, that way we can ID each other without broadcasting it. Tier 3 would be a big jump to $250 and that would allow you to see the whole map and some extra tools and maybe you get a real gold "Liberty Tree" pin, cheesy but kinda cool. These are just rough ideas about what tier would allow what please brainstorm.

--The membership fee would be for the site upkeep but mainly for creating a War Chest for our Liberty candidates. This would probably require a PAC, i'm not sure how deep you wanted to go with this. If not that far the membership fee I guess could be scrapped. The accounting for the site would need to have a lot of "Sunlight".

--My vision is for a site is to allow the serious grassroots people to really organize and be able to help get Reps elected all over the country. It does not matter anymore about what state they come from we just need a majority in the House to be able to block bogus bills. And then later the Senate to help pass Liberty legislation. The tiered membership would help weed out trolls, only paying members could "rate" an idea. I really would like to have a voting system that did not have to exclude anyone based on money, again just rough ideas here...
The voting system would need to be very secure, we want real votes for the ideas.

--Scenario: At my local GOP meeting I find out there is a Liberty minded person who wants to run for Congress. I get them hooked in with the site and into our system. The members of the site in that district would talk to the cadidate and see if they like them, if so we start organizing and kicking around ideas on the site. The members vote or rate ideas and off we go. The elected national General and state Lieutenants along with input from Precinct captains decide on campaign strategy and fundraising etc...

Charles S.

Why not do like we did in NH? We have a group call NH Liberty Alliance. Make one for each state... In NH we already have this network in place with

NH Liberty Calendar/Forums
Coalition of NH Taxpayers
NH Liberty Alliance
RLC-NH (Republican Liberty Caucus)

.. and we run candidates as Republicans

NH has been GOP for years until 2006 and now the Dems are ruining it.. and we're gonna take it back.

:D

Hangly Man
01-27-2008, 05:00 AM
This is troublesome. And, what's with the black fist? Looks more like something from Che Guevara to me!

It means revolution.

Gustogus
01-27-2008, 06:29 AM

Some ideas...

Charles S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_for_america

This is what the Dean campaign turned into. It has become an extremely influential part of the Democratic agenda. Obama was an original member of the "Dean Dozen" list.

I would love to see the RP movement turned into this kind of PAC within the Republican party. We're the last bastions of Goldwater Conservatism, establishing ourselves as an influential voting block within the party could go a long way in pushing the party away from its neo-con leanings.

Just an idea..

thewolf7=1976
01-27-2008, 06:49 AM
I would like our Revolution to become similar to the Dean PAC. I think we can do it without having an "office" or a headquarters, but rather use the existing infrastructure of the GOP. Try to raise funds without the overhead and be able to move quickly. Mirror or shadow the GOP structure and move in quietly. All the while building our War Chest.

Gustogus
01-27-2008, 06:56 AM
The site proposed by the OP would be the perfect central hub for a net roots movement such as this. It would be a great vehicle for mobilization and while I'm unsure of the fee's (PAC's like this can benefit greatly from footwork as well as donations), IT would be a huge step in remolding the republican party for the future.

A huge boon would be if Dr. Paul himself would back it and sign his name to a vetted "Liberty List" of national candidates...

defcreative
01-27-2008, 07:21 AM
A quick update on the project.

--------------------------------------------

I am planning on using the domain name: thepeopleunite.com

Here is a few rough variations of the logo:

http://www.creativebolt.com/images/peopleunitelogo.jpg

http://www.creativebolt.com/images/peopleunitelogo2.jpg

http://www.creativebolt.com/images/peopleunitelogo3.jpg

I will showcase the design for the layout of the website soon. Expect revisions in the logo as colors will most likely be changing among other things as I finish designing the site.

I'm tired and I'm going to get some sleep, feel free to comment on it.

Eric21ND
01-27-2008, 08:33 AM
this is really great!

FreeTraveler
01-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Get rid of the "Black Power" fist or you'll lose a ton of over-40 people. That emblem has a lot of negative connotations.

Vizacar
01-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Get rid of the "Black Power" fist or you'll lose a ton of over-40 people. That emblem has a lot of negative connotations.

+1

JoBurke
01-27-2008, 09:51 AM

I will showcase the design for the layout of the website soon. Expect revisions in the logo as colors will most likely be changing among other things as I finish designing the site.

I love the third one...and dude, you have some skillz!

RP-Republican
01-27-2008, 09:57 AM
I would like our Revolution to become similar to the Dean PAC. I think we can do it without having an "office" or a headquarters, but rather use the existing infrastructure of the GOP. Try to raise funds without the overhead and be able to move quickly. Mirror or shadow the GOP structure and move in quietly. All the while building our War Chest.

I’ve been working on that very thing for a few weeks now. I already started a PAC, registered the domain names, and got hosting for the website, which will be up later this week, next week at the latest. If some of you want to get involved in this project I’m open to exchanging ideas and accepting help. You can contact me at mmclane@yahoo.com.

lastnymleft
01-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Make it so.

It'd be good if you have some wiki sections in there, too.

mdevour
01-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Agree, lose the fist graphic! It smacks of every far-left socialist Marxist revolutionary movement of the last century.

Yes, we're prosecuting a revolution, but a peaceful one, within the system, and the total antithesis of the collectivist Marxist concept.

Lose the fist, please.

For Liberty!

Mike D.

Edit: The only fist you should use will be holding an upraised torch of Liberty!

LibertyForAll
01-27-2008, 01:03 PM
AS long as theres no Huchabee or McCain or Romney "Google Ads" :)

ThinkAwake
01-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I fully support this plan. These forums are not effective at all.

jabrownie
01-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Lose the Fist

It has negative elements associated with it in the minds of some americans. Either use just the flame and stars or chose something that doesn't have the negative connections. Perhaps something that is linked to the ideas of liberty in the minds of americans. Lighter colors (subconsciously make people happy), bald eagle, american flag, stars, red, white, blue, etc. etc. etc.

Vendico
01-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I have many years doing web development. C# mainly. I've been on a Sharepoint 2007 project for the past year.

Sharepoint 2007 is a platform that allows you to setup content authors to allow them to post articles and such. We can setup a home page and us "Targeted Audience" features to show relevant article and content for the signed in user.

It's expensive though.

nate895
01-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Lose the Fist

It has negative elements associated with it in the minds of some americans. Either use just the flame and stars or chose something that doesn't have the negative connections. Perhaps something that is linked to the ideas of liberty in the minds of americans. Lighter colors (subconsciously make people happy), bald eagle, american flag, stars, red, white, blue, etc. etc. etc.

+1

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 01:37 PM

Some ideas...

Charles S.

Well said, that is exactly what I want done!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2367/2224031180_c303b3c12d_m.jpg

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I’ve been working on that very thing for a few weeks now. I already started a PAC, registered the domain names, and got hosting for the website, which will be up later this week, next week at the latest. If some of you want to get involved in this project I’m open to exchanging ideas and accepting help. You can contact me at mmclane@yahoo.com.

lol, that makes you the 7th person i've found to be doing a similar project... Thats why i'm trying to get everyone together as much as possable...

cheese
01-27-2008, 01:46 PM
brilliant. we need this

nate895
01-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Some ideas...

Charles S.

I like the idea, but this would be almost a party, or a party within a party.

Would it be possible to create the Constitutionalist party of the the Republican Party?

RP-Republican
01-27-2008, 02:02 PM
lol, that makes you the 7th person i've found to be doing a similar project... Thats why i'm trying to get everyone together as much as possable...

Yeah I was hesitant to bring this up while everyone is focusing on Ron Paul but you started this thread and got the response you did so I jumped in. My idea is more of keeping the movement going regardless of what happens in the Presidential election.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah I was hesitant to bring this up while everyone is focusing on Ron Paul but you started this thread and got the response you did so I jumped in. My idea is more of keeping the movement going regardless of what happens in the Presidential election.

Same here, I'm sending you guys a email and hopeing that all of you will be on tonight...

thewolf7=1976
01-27-2008, 02:50 PM
I like the idea, but this would be almost a party, or a party within a party.

Would it be possible to create the Constitutionalist party of the the Republican Party?
and

My idea is more of keeping the movement going regardless of what happens in the Presidential election.

I guess you could say it would be a party within a party, but I don't think forming a "formal" name or party wing would help. It would provide a front for the neo-cons to attack. We need to just integrate and then emerge.

In my post I mentioned about getting a Liberty Tree pin when you joined. This could be worn anytime you are in a social setting and look nice, like a wedding or a GOP meeting, or office banquet. Bear with me, but that would be our symbol or name, Liberty minded individuals, and we "wear it on our sleeve". So a shadow
party yes, but out in the open for those who know where to look.

Another thought about a membership fee if we go for that: Different metals for the pin to signify your donation. Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum. Have them engraved with the members initials and a serial #. This could be a marketing tool to promote donations as well as a sense of belonging.

So when you go to your GOP meetings you don't feel so alone, and eventually we become the majority. Sorry to go on about the pin, that is not my focus, but it would be pretty neat way to say I am part of the Revolution without acting a fool and alienating those existing party members who we need to reprogram, err.. convert.

We do need to move beyond this election and we need to start now, not giving up on Ron, but advancing the movement he has started. We can't be waiving signs at the polls and expect people to vote for our guy. It is a process and it cannot be done in the eleventh hour. It's January and their are house seats available in November, and again in two years, when are senate elections? 4 years from now the Presidency, it never stops and that is not a lot of time, let us begin.

Charles S.
Savanah, GA

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 02:58 PM
What is your email?

thewolf7=1976
01-27-2008, 03:10 PM
thewolf2076@yahoo.com

I have to work tonight but I can usually get on the computer after 11pm, est. So I'll check in.

Charles S.

Patriot0811
01-27-2008, 03:12 PM
not to sound cynical but that map looks like its from huck's army, don't want them to think we're copying them.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 03:17 PM
not to sound cynical but that map looks like its from huck's army, don't want them to think we're copying them.

they copy us... (it is theirs, plus we can change it up a bit)

defcreative
01-27-2008, 03:19 PM

I agree, thats why I included the non-fist verson. It was just a concept that I decided to play with and exhibit. I think the first one with just the stars is more appropriate.

defcreative
01-27-2008, 03:26 PM
they copy us... (it is theirs, plus we can change it up a bit)

You are the big proponent for the "map idea", so I wanted to ask your input Landon. Do you think we should have it scripted in Flash/Actionscript or Javascript. (Or do you not care.)

I can help us do either.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 03:29 PM
I've always had more faith in Flash than java, but thats just me...

I'm trying to find a way to get the chat sey up on the Google word doc... or find some other opensource way of laying down info and chatting att he same time...

Myerz
01-27-2008, 03:32 PM
YES! It's about time!

dvictr
update?

progress

LandonCook
Landon, pm me for graphics.

Got an email?

defcreative
01-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I've always had more faith in Flash than java, but thats just me...

I'm trying to find a way to get the chat sey up on the Google word doc... or find some other opensource way of laying down info and chatting att he same time...

JavaScript works well if you code it correctly, but flash is pretty compatible with almost every browser nowadays so I'm happy with flash.

defcreative
01-27-2008, 03:36 PM
update?

progress

I am in the middle of finishing the layout design for the website which I will be exhibiting to the public later on today. Landon is working on content as far as I know, and we are setting up some sort of meeting system so we can communicate more efficiently.

After that it is coding time and we will release a functional beta v.01 to get people on the site after we have a working build.

I think thats most of the story for now.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 03:37 PM
JavaScript works well if you code it correctly, but flash is pretty compatible with almost every browser nowadays so I'm happy with flash.

I'm getting alot of people with alot of tallent jumping on this so im trying to get the best place for and open source kind of meeting place... Google docs is simple, but for some reason it isn't giving me the chat menu on the side like it does with spreadsheets...

FreeTraveler
01-27-2008, 03:49 PM
This project is really starting to sound exciting.

I'd like to suggest an "email congress on the issues" section.

It would let me select a current issue (Homegrown Terrorism Act, for example) then show me some sample letters for my congresscritters. I could cut and paste into my own letter, then hit "send" and emails would be sent to the appropriate representatives based on my ZIP code or other information I've provided during signup.

This could be extended with a list of media outlets to be selected to receive the email as well.

alienpyro
01-27-2008, 04:08 PM
check out www.ohio4ronpaul.com !!!!!!!!!

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 04:33 PM
This is the layout I'm promoting>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2145/2223688321_42abed32cb.jpg?v=0

I'm open to suggestions!

defcreative
01-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm getting alot of people with alot of tallent jumping on this so im trying to get the best place for and open source kind of meeting place... Google docs is simple, but for some reason it isn't giving me the chat menu on the side like it does with spreadsheets...

Great, I think we should just use an external chat application along with google docs if there is problems with the google chat system.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Great, I think we should just use an external chat application along with google docs if there is problems with the google chat system.

I don't know why it isn't working on the word docs and is on excell...

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 04:56 PM
This is the layout I'm promoting>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2145/2223688321_42abed32cb.jpg?v=0

I'm open to suggestions!

Hey Def, what do you think about the proposed layout?

defcreative
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey Def, what do you think about the proposed layout?

I had thought that I would be in charge of the layout since in reality I had been working on this same project for about 2 weeks longer then anyone else had, just no one knew it. :p

However, its never a problem to have too many proposed designs, the more the merrier. I think its okay, but I will reserve a detailed critique until I release my design for thepeopleunite.com which should be later on tonight.

Until then, keep on doing your thing. :)

Karrl
01-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes some people, maybe a lot of people, do not/will not get the picture of what is trying to be accomplished. Not because they haven't read all the posts, but because they just are not the type of person who "sees" in images. In my own experience with organizational development, I found it was necessary to provide simple charts/visual images as a supplement to understanding/communicating ideas/goals/functional aspects. One can also build a visual picture of structure and its relatedness (both internal and external) to the organization. I'm sure that all this is not practical to post here, yet may be useful in part. Sometimes a picture IS worth a thousand words!!

If interested, take a look at this software program which is quite nice for visual mapping of ideas, information, and organization.

http://www.thebrain.com/#-42.

Jane Aitken
01-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm more interested in having people infiltrate the GOP and turn it around to what it was SUPPOSED to be -- the party of the Republic.

I don't see how starting some anti-war group is going to do that... the graphics don't give any indication of anything Republicans would want join.

I run several groups here already - I'm not sure we need another group that is unaffiliated with a party -- unless we want to be like the heretofore ineffective "Libertarian" party.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm more interested in having people infiltrate the GOP and turn it around to what it was SUPPOSED to be -- the party of the Republic.

I don't see how starting some anti-war group is going to do that... the graphics don't give any indication of anything Republicans would want join.

I run several groups here already - I'm not sure we need another group that is unaffiliated with a party -- unless we want to be like the heretofore ineffective "Libertarian" party.

Not everone who posts idea and pictures on this thread is working on the project...

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 06:29 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2224778284_00786dc391.jpg?v=0

Karrl
01-27-2008, 06:29 PM
As was pointed out, this is not about becoming another anti-war group. My impression is that people are looking towards post election organization.....not another organization.....but further organization/expansion of the grass roots movement generated by Dr Paul's campaign. I see this as quite necessary and important. I would respectfully disagree with you about the need to be integrated into the Republican Party.

Some people reject the idea of centralizing the movement....which is seen as threatening independent activity. This is an important subject which people need to sit down and talk about. An organization does not have to be hierarchical in nature. People tend to think in this manner because so many areas of life are structured that way. I see the grass roots/RP campaign relationship as having a horizontal structure. In either case, their does need to be centers (call them points if you wish) which gather, organize, and facilitate ideas, information, and functions.

dreicher
01-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Some people reject the idea of centralizing the movement....which is seen as threatening independent activity. This is an important subject which people need to sit down and talk about. An organization does not have to be hierarchical in nature. People tend to think in this manner because so many areas of life are structured that way. I see the grass roots/RP campaign relationship as having a horizontal structure. In either case, their does need to be centers (call them points if you wish) which gather, organize, and facilitate ideas, information, and functions.

I agree. If this is solely about Ron Paul and people are willing to "bet it all on Paul" then this is absolutely pointless. I am of the mind that (even as RP says) this is about the message and not the man.

I believe Ron Paul's message should continue whether he wins the nomination / election or not. If he wins, we have 8 years to turn over enough representatives to give him the support necessary to see his message become the new American Mandate. If he is unsuccessful and all this becomes for naught - I, for one, will be very disappointed.

As for "organizing grassroots" - it is not so much difficult as it is necessary. There needs to be a structure in place for like-minded candidates to inject themselves into the political process with a support organization in place. People of our ilk will be much more likely to throw their hat in the ring knowing they have, in place, a system for (among other things):

Fundraising
Volunteers
Opposition Research
Get Out The Vote
Advertising / Marketing
Election Law

These items need to be done by coordinated teams and through the power of the internet we can do them on a nationwide basis efficiently and cost-effectively - allowing our "people" to compete in areas where they could not otherwise.

Look. This is what I can do. This is part of my contribution. I am not a college student with tons of free time or energy. I am, however, a professional software engineer that can use what I have to try and make a difference. If, in your opinion, that makes me less of a supporter then go climb a tree.

I do apologize if organization "scares" some of you, but until you can show the world that a completely disconnected and autonomous collective of individuals have the ability to get anything of substance done inside our political process - I'll fall on the side of organizing and moving this message forward.

terlinguatx
01-27-2008, 07:02 PM

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 07:02 PM
I agree. If this is solely about Ron Paul and people are willing to "bet it all on Paul" then this is absolutely pointless. I am of the mind that (even as RP says) this is about the message and not the man.

I believe Ron Paul's message should continue whether he wins the nomination / election or not. If he wins, we have 8 years to turn over enough representatives to give him the support necessary to see his message become the new American Mandate. If he is unsuccessful and all this becomes for naught - I, for one, will be very disappointed.

As for "organizing grassroots" - it is not so much difficult as it is necessary. There needs to be a structure in place for like-minded candidates to inject themselves into the political process with a support organization in place. People of our ilk will be much more likely to throw their hat in the ring knowing they have, in place, a system for (among other things):

Fundraising
Volunteers
Opposition Research
Get Out The Vote
Advertising / Marketing
Election Law

These items need to be done by coordinated teams and through the power of the internet we can do them on a nationwide basis efficiently and cost-effectively - allowing our "people" to compete in areas where they could not otherwise.

Look. This is what I can do. This is part of my contribution. I am not a college student with tons of free time or energy. I am, however, a professional software engineer that can use what I have to try and make a difference. If, in your opinion, that makes me less of a supporter then go climb a tree.

I do apologize if organization "scares" some of you, but until you can show the world that a completely disconnected and autonomous collective of individuals have the ability to get anything of substance done inside our political process - I'll fall on the side of organizing and moving this message forward.

defcreative
01-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Just another small variation.

http://www.creativebolt.com/images/peopleunitelogo4.jpg

gpickett00
01-27-2008, 07:11 PM
check out www.ohio4ronpaul.com !!!!!!!!!

Whoa, that site is really well organized. You all should use ideas from there.

As far as people being worried about how fast this site is put up, this isnt going to be in time for Feb 5, but who cares? If Ron runs as an independent, which I hope, this could be an awesome resource to effectively spread the message.

An Idea: you could have a tab or section of people running for political offices under the Ron Paul platform and provide links to their sites.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Whoa, that site is really well organized. You all should use ideas from there.

As far as people being worried about how fast this site is put up, this isnt going to be in time for Feb 5, but who cares? If Ron runs as an independent, which I hope, this could be an awesome resource to effectively spread the message.

An Idea: you could have a tab or section of people running for political offices under the Ron Paul platform and provide links to their sites.

it is a great site... good stuff!

Karrl
01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I do like your fire logo very much. Seems like it would work well with Bonfire.com and with the Liberty Tree theme. I like the black color schemes also.

Gustogus
01-27-2008, 07:36 PM
and

I guess you could say it would be a party within a party, but I don't think forming a "formal" name or party wing would help. It would provide a front for the neo-cons to attack. We need to just integrate and then emerge.

Charles S.
Savanah, GA

I respectfully disagree. This idea of a "shadow group" is one of the things Dr. Paul fights against. Look at the evangelicals.... they brought there collective voting power together and out in the open. Who can deny the "Christian Coalition" have had a heavy handed impact on Republican politics over the last 8 years?

We're not a "tiny movement" we garner 10% of the republican voting block consistently, with an even larger portion "would vote for him if he could win".. thats a force in such a splintered tent. We could easily sway paleocons, fiscal conservative, and even some evangels if we just put ourselves out there in an organized clear and concise way.

There are lots of "parties within parties", respectfully, the fiscal conservatives, paleocons, and libertarian portion of the republican party have slowly been muscled out since George 1. A site and organization like this would be a perfect way to start muscling back.

Let the neo-cons attack... we can point to the last 8 years of economic disaster that was wrought by a neo-con republican policy... I think we could win Republicans back.

Kudos to the OP the site and the idea... no matter which way it goes... its a lot fo good work.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 07:39 PM

I just want to know people's opinion on my half assed design...

Gustogus
01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
My approach has always been could my grandmother open the link and not be overwhelmed.

The design looks easy and inuitive. The map with (Flash/java?) would jump out immediately.

oh.. and I love the logo

Gustogus
01-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Then again, I'm just a Sys Admin at a small shop... I suck at stuff on your side of the aisle :)

Karrl
01-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I like it, I like it! Prefer the multicolor header one. Not that it has to be red and blue.

Edu
01-27-2008, 08:35 PM
defcreative: Please, no flash site. It's memory and CPU intensive and a lot of people don't have that much. Flash is mostly unavailable at public terminals. Plus it's one more thing to go wrong.

Javascript if you have to, but only when you have to. Watch out for PHP, lots of ways to back door if you don't get it right, always check/clean your inputs.

Also, if you use any files for data that people post, make sure you lock and unlock them properly, or else the data will get trashed. This happens when a lot of people are posting at once, so it's hard to test on a small scale and a lot of programs fail when this happens. Watch out for multi threading with this same issue.

I suggest a "fire test", announce to everyone that you want them to post from X time to X time with anything, and state that it will all be wiped clean before the site goes public.

Your server "colo" needs to know ahead of time that you will be getting lots of traffic, so they can set the traffic limiter and other stuff to not cut down packet rates when you start seeing lots of traffic, it's their defense against DOS attacks.

Make sure you have a team ready to test and report back after using many browsers and systems. You don't want people going away if it doesn't work on their computer.

No ads, sorry but this will turn people off and think you are just in it for profit. I am sure people will donate a small amount for server bills, and if you posted receipts that would be great.

LandonCook: Geek/programmer types are never good at marketing or understanding human nature, so your input on style and presentation should be taken with a lot of weight. Making sure the site is inclusive for as many as possible and not too cluttered is something I am sure you appreciate. And believe me, you don't want to get involved with the internal technical workings of this thing.

Hope it helps.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 08:41 PM
defcreative: Please, no flash site. It's memory and CPU intensive and a lot of people don't have that much. Flash is mostly unavailable at public terminals. Plus it's one more thing to go wrong.

Javascript if you have to, but only when you have to. Watch out for PHP, lots of ways to back door if you don't get it right, always check/clean your inputs.

Also, if you use any files for data that people post, make sure you lock and unlock them properly, or else the data will get trashed. This happens when a lot of people are posting at once, so it's hard to test on a small scale and a lot of programs fail when this happens. Watch out for multi threading with this same issue.

I suggest a "fire test", announce to everyone that you want them to post from X time to X time with anything, and state that it will all be wiped clean before the site goes public.

Your server "colo" needs to know ahead of time that you will be getting lots of traffic, so they can set the traffic limiter and other stuff to not cut down packet rates when you start seeing lots of traffic, it's their defense against DOS attacks.

Make sure you have a team ready to test and report back after using many browsers and systems. You don't want people going away if it doesn't work on their computer.

No ads, sorry but this will turn people off and think you are just in it for profit. I am sure people will donate a small amount for server bills, and if you posted receipts that would be great.

LandonCook: Geek/programmer types are never good at marketing or understanding human nature, so your input on style and presentation should be taken with a lot of weight. Making sure the site is inclusive for as many as possible and not too cluttered is something I am sure you appreciate. And believe me, you don't want to get involved with the internal technical workings of this thing.

Hope it helps.

Thankyou, lol and I agree... you can join up on the work if you want... im trying to find somewhere for everyone to meet that has opensource abilities with a chatsidebar... or something similar...

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Ah... the internet is a big place... why cant I find something...

Edu
01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Thankyou, lol and I agree... you can join up on the work if you want... im trying to find somewhere for everyone to meet that has opensource abilities with a chatsidebar... or something similar...A simple mailing list? Yahoo sucks, don't do that. I am sure defcreative has a simple gnu mailman setup on his server or it's easy to install.

The reason to use a mail list is so that everyone can do work and answer the list when they get a break or answer on their own schedule, if living in different time zones.

The archive ability will let other people see what progress is being done, and may help others catch up if they want to jump in and contribute. Although you may find you don't need a lot of people to make this work in it's basic form. If people create a bit of code and then it doesn't get to be used they will get disinterested really fast.

As a matter of fact, maybe this whole thing could be a bunch of mailing lists.

I also forgot to mention that people have been "gaming" the Digg system, they have spent a lot of time figuring how to prevent it. It will happen, so try to think about it while you get this going.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 09:17 PM
A simple mailing list? Yahoo sucks, don't do that. I am sure defcreative has a simple gnu mailman setup on his server or it's easy to install.

The reason to use a mail list is so that everyone can do work and answer the list when they get a break or answer on their own schedule, if living in different time zones.

The archive ability will let other people see what progress is being done, and may help others catch up if they want to jump in and contribute. Although you may find you don't need a lot of people to make this work in it's basic form. If people create a bit of code and then it doesn't get to be used they will get disinterested really fast.

As a matter of fact, maybe this whole thing could be a bunch of mailing lists.

I also forgot to mention that people have been "gaming" the Digg system, they have spent a lot of time figuring how to prevent it. It will happen, so try to think about it while you get this going.

No I was talking about to work on with the group....

RP-Republican
01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Same here, I'm sending you guys a email and hopeing that all of you will be on tonight...

Did you already send out an email? I'll be at work for the next 12 hours on and off the computer but I can't use chat programs at work so you will have to email me. If you could, include everyone in the email so we can all get everyone elses email address.

Edu
01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
No I was talking about to work on with the group....Yes, it's called gnu mailman.

I was just suggesting that the whole thing could be a mail list.

Try http://sf.net and see how developers there use mailing lists (pick a few projects and look at the list archives). Chat doesn't work, I know you marketing types love that but you can't get any work done if someone is constantly demanding you type back to them. Geeks have to concentrate. And meetings are a hassle.

RP-Republican showed you one good reason to use a list.

Oh yea, not that I am saying for you to set up a project at sf.net, it would take too much time to get used to it, unless he already knows how to do CVS etc, but it's a hassle really.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Untill I can get this all going good, the chat is here> http://www.creativebolt.com/chat.html

ClockwiseSpark
01-27-2008, 09:38 PM

I like it! IMHO 2 and 3 are the best.

Sey.Naci
01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I like it!I mean no offense, but I don't like it at all. To me, it's dark, almost ominous.

Sheesh, given the kerfuffle between the two sites that were developed for the Feb 1st anniversary fundraiser (compare this (http://www.fiftyoneyears.com/) with this (http://www.ronandcarol51.com/)) and now the above, it must be a difference in male/female preferences - or it's just me. (This board IS dominated by men, as is the percentage of RP supporters.)

My design taste definitely diverges. Sites that I create tend to use softer tones and shapes.

Sey.Naci
01-27-2008, 09:53 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2408/2224069991_9b1cddea9e.jpg?v=0Hmm, I like that!

Gustogus
01-27-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure it's a male/female thing. My guess is that its simply a difference of perspective.

Some view this movement as truely a revolution, with all the fire and brimstone that comes along with such (which to some degree I truly believe it is), personally I see it more as a movement of disenfranchised Americans looking to come together to truly change what we see as something gone wrong.

To each his own... but I to like the tree :)

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Hmm, I like that!

Its not too it's dark, and ominous?

thewolf7=1976
01-27-2008, 10:09 PM
I respectfully disagree. This idea of a "shadow group" is one of the things Dr. Paul fights against. Look at the evangelicals.... they brought there collective voting power together and out in the open. Who can deny the "Christian Coalition" have had a heavy handed impact on Republican politics over the last 8 years?

We're not a "tiny movement" we garner 10% of the republican voting block consistently, with an even larger portion "would vote for him if he could win".. thats a force in such a splintered tent. We could easily sway paleocons, fiscal conservative, and even some evangels if we just put ourselves out there in an organized clear and concise way.

There are lots of "parties within parties", respectfully, the fiscal conservatives, paleocons, and libertarian portion of the republican party have slowly been muscled out since George 1. A site and organization like this would be a perfect way to start muscling back.

Let the neo-cons attack... we can point to the last 8 years of economic disaster that was wrought by a neo-con republican policy... I think we could win Republicans back.

Kudos to the OP the site and the idea... no matter which way it goes... its a lot fo good work.

You might be completely correct, I just didn't want our progress to be hindered at an early stage.

LandonCook
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure it's a male/female thing. My guess is that its simply a difference of perspective.

Some view this movement as truely a revolution, with all the fire and brimstone that comes along with such (which to some degree I truly believe it is), personally I see it more as a movement of disenfranchised Americans looking to come together to truly change what we see as something gone wrong.

To each his own... but I to like the tree :)

We are almost ready to update...

Lord Xar
01-27-2008, 11:06 PM
If there is a ghost of a chance, then do it.

You have been told this is a good idea, now run with it. A next level must be reached SOON - perhaps this can initiate and cultivate it.

On a side note, I am under the assumption that "ronpaulfriends" has a site like this. Check with them to see if they are covering any of your bases and if they intend to actual implement anything.

ryvin1
01-27-2008, 11:31 PM
I like the idea any centralized organization of the grassroots would be a huge benefit.

defcreative
01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
If there is a ghost of a chance, then do it.

You have been told this is a good idea, now run with it. A next level must be reached SOON - perhaps this can initiate and cultivate it.

On a side note, I am under the assumption that "ronpaulfriends" has a site like this. Check with them to see if they are covering any of your bases and if they intend to actual implement anything.

They may, but nothing like the likes of what our team has been planning. :)

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 12:55 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2114/2224821039_a23e97a41c.jpg?v=0

Better or worse?

hillertexas
01-28-2008, 12:59 AM

Better or worse?

better

jasonjasonjason1
01-28-2008, 12:59 AM
aa

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Better. But change button color to match.

The support button?

thewolf7=1976
01-28-2008, 01:36 AM
I imagine the green header buttons changed to blue, but I know that was just a prelim. I like the rating system on the main page. The blue looks good, but I like the contrast of the tree with the green background, if we go with the tree.

CelestialRender
01-28-2008, 02:08 AM
Looks pretty good so far. And it keeps the essential bottom-up structure, which every attempt to "take charge" has failed to do so far.

ClockwiseSpark
01-28-2008, 04:25 AM

Better or worse?

I really like the new graphic but I do think the buttons should be changed to match it.

LibertyEagle
01-28-2008, 04:47 AM

I agree. Folks, please be careful about these types of logos. While you may believe that clinched fists are a great deal, the Baby Boomers, of which I am a part, were raised with that raised clinched fist being akin to a Communist salute.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I don't think that is the connotation we want to make. ;)

And what is the deal with the 5 stars and the fire? Seriously? What is this symbolism supposed to mean? Please be very careful. The symbolism that I am seeing right now on defcreative's logo, will DRIVE OFF a large part of the older generation. At least those who are not Marxists.

Somehow, the stars on that logo, remind me of what is on the Communist China flag.

http://www.appliedlanguage.com/flags_of_the_world/medium_flag_of_china.gif

Lord Xar
01-28-2008, 05:04 AM
Just another small variation.

your graphic skills are top notch.

but I am gonna be real here. the branding is, well, not good. this is the type of logo you would see on the bottom of a skateboard on or on spiketv. this isn't about all of that.

If you want to create a real movement. A real brand, and you want people to take you serious then you need your branding to reflect all patriots. That logo is for 20somethings and /or late teens. Remember, this isn't about the quality of your logo, but what it represents.

This isn't some "cool" new thing like "burnlounge" or hip. This is about America. You don't even have the "red white and blue" in there. People will not identify with this, they just won't. Its a young/childish vibe.

my opinion only. not thrashing. I know you have the skillset to really touch upon something nice. I just dont think this is it.

I would LEAVE out the hand and perhaps make your fire, the colors of "red white and blue" - then that would sorta make more sense.. perhaps integrate the liberty hand holding the torch... instead of the fist.

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 05:15 AM
I really like the new graphic but I do think the buttons should be changed to match it.

so change nothing?

but I am gonna be real here. the branding is, well, not good. this is the type of logo you would see on the bottom of a skateboard on or on spiketv. this isn't about all of that.

If you want to create a real movement. A real brand, and you want people to take you serious then you need your branding to reflect all patriots. That logo is for 20somethings and /or late teens. Remember, this isn't about the quality of your logo, but what it represents.

This isn't some "cool" new thing like "burnlounge" or hip. This is about America. You don't even have the "red white and blue" in there. People will not identify with this, they just won't. Its a young/childish vibe.

my opinion only. not thrashing. I know you have the skillset to really touch upon something nice. I just dont think this is it.

I would LEAVE out the hand and perhaps make your fire, the colors of "red white and blue" - then that would sorta make more sense.. perhaps integrate the liberty hand holding the torch... instead of the fist.

Good ideas and input!

defcreative
01-28-2008, 05:23 AM

That's some excellent suggestions. There is red, white, and blue in the actual site color scheme that I am designing right now, so I think you would be more happy with what is being produced as we speak. I am going for a friendly "clean" layout that will be inviting, bright, and not intimidating.

What you are quoting was merely an exhibition, but your assertions were right on point. I wasn't planning on using the hand version of the logo, it was just something that came to mind while I was having fun in illustrator so I went with it.

Thank you for your suggestions, and no offense taken whatsoever. I love constructive criticism and that was some VERY constructive criticism.

Keep it coming!

LandonCook
01-28-2008, 05:40 AM
That's some excellent suggestions. There is red, white, and blue in the actual site color scheme that I am designing right now, so I think you would be more happy with what is being produced as we speak. I am going for a friendly "clean" layout that will be inviting, bright, and not intimidating.

What you are quoting was merely an exhibition, but your assertions were right on point. I wasn't planning on using the hand version of the logo, it was just something that came to mind while I was having fun in illustrator so I went with it.

Thank you for your suggestions, and no offense taken whatsoever. I love constructive criticism and that was some VERY constructive criticism.

Keep it coming!

Ready?

Gustogus
01-28-2008, 06:10 AM
yes please :)

rs3515
01-28-2008, 07:24 AM
You may want to check out what's going on with Freeople.com (www.freeople.com). There are plans to launch a site very soon on a very solid technology platform. Sounds like there could be some sharing between efforts.

DFF
01-28-2008, 08:43 AM
*Bump'd*

alienpyro
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
CALL me: 614.557.5627

DFF
01-29-2008, 04:29 AM
*BuMp*

literatim
01-29-2008, 04:43 AM

Better or worse?

I personally like the green color the best.

literatim
01-29-2008, 04:51 AM

I get a whole communist vibe from your banners.

defcreative
01-29-2008, 05:03 AM
I get a whole communist vibe from your banners.

That was just the very rough initial concept, not intended to be taken seriously for production.

These on the other hand are..

http://www.creativebolt.com/layoutdesign2.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1525/thepeopleunitelayoutrz0.jpg

thewolf7=1976
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Landon and Def, check this thread, it may be helpful:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=104186

gpickett00
02-06-2008, 09:25 AM
where is the site? when will it be up