PDA

View Full Version : Ron Pauls Question

jclay2
01-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Ok, is it only me or was that question from paul to mccain absolutely retarded. I don't think anyone had anyone idea what this question was about. He should have made it more relavent like "What percentage of current government spending should the united states cut and what programs specifically would you cut to do this?"

dannno
01-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Hmm..

well at least he made McCain sound like a fool... even if the audience didn't know what he was talking about, they should at least expect McCain to.

mwkaufman
01-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Google President's Working Group on Fincancial Markets or Plunge Prevention Team. Sure, the average American doesn't know about it, but Paul showed McCain's lack of experience and knowledge and exposed him as being completely unaware of a group possibly largely impacting current events.

roshi
01-25-2008, 09:59 PM
It was designed to expose McCain's lack of knowledge of the economy and his reliance on advisors to assist him. Thus, in our current economic situation, it would lower his popularity.

I thought it was excellent and nicely crafted.

gracebkr
01-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Ok, is it only me or was that question from paul to mccain absolutely retarded. I don't think anyone had anyone idea what this question was about. He should have made it more relavent like "What percentage of current government spending should the united states cut and what programs specifically would you cut to do this?"

Ummm, I understood it. I was completely confused when McCain opened his mouth. I might not have known nor do I know the ins and outs of it, but I understood he was asking about a group and would McCain keep the group or remove it and if he kept it would he change it. McCain replied "blah blah blah" twitched and smiled and everyone was dumberer.

RSLudlum
01-25-2008, 10:00 PM
It was also a shot at the other candidates with Paul saying to them "Don't F@ck with me you simpletons!!" ;)

DirtMcGirt
01-25-2008, 10:02 PM
RP owned McCain on that question... trust me... i watch reruns of columbo

anewvoice
01-25-2008, 10:02 PM
And it got coverage worldwide in news articles about how Paul damaged McCain, so it was a good one, and it was carefully plotted. Hell, the names he dropped are members of the damn group and McCain didn't know.

jclay2
01-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah but the question doesn't make him look that stupid if no one else knows what the question is about.

phill4paul
01-25-2008, 10:04 PM
It was designed to expose McCain's lack of knowledge of the economy and his reliance on advisors to assist him. Thus, in our current economic situation, it would lower his popularity.

I thought it was excellent and nicely crafted.

I've gotten 2 emails from friends asking me WTF? These were peeps on the fence. Maybe not a "gawd shake the earth" question, but it has gotten a buzz. And truthfully 2 emails and 3 calls so for me that one question has opened doors.

tamor
01-25-2008, 10:04 PM
McCain just wants more sunshine hahahahaha

Goldwater Conservative
01-25-2008, 10:06 PM
He took McCain way out of his comfort zone, which is foreign policy and government spending. McCain was bragging about his economic credentials earlier in the debate. Instead of giving him yet another opportunity to launch into a spiel about how we're really winning the war because the troops ate turkey with him and then have the media play that repeatedly and declare McCain the "winner" of the debate, Paul made him look like an abject moron. If only the moderators had enforced the question, it would have been perfect, although the media will ignore anything that shows their precious "maverick" for the charlatan he is.

FreedomGirl
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-tg1kQ8dk

jeffhenderson
01-25-2008, 10:10 PM
I am with McCain, I am very pro-sunshine.

jclay2
01-25-2008, 10:12 PM
The thing is, paul could have asked an economic question that made him look like an idiot and that was understandable to lay men.

A. Havnes
01-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I thought the question was brilliant. It certainly demonstrated that McCain has no clue what he's talking about when it comes to economics. Anyone could see that he was just dropping names.

AlbemarleNC0003
01-25-2008, 10:15 PM
It proves that a vote for McCain is a vote for Bush. Bush's people are going to be his. Very very bad news for McCain.

constitutional
01-25-2008, 10:17 PM

RP wanted to embarrass McCain. RP succeeded. Average joe probably did not understand the question but I say screw that average joe.

Molly1
01-25-2008, 10:17 PM
It proves that a vote for McCain is a vote for Bush. Bush's people are going to be his. Very very bad news for McCain.

That's right.

Nobody will elect him president.

hellsingfan
01-25-2008, 10:20 PM
it was a perfect question for what it was meant to do. As for the people they don't understand most of anything anyways

jclay2
01-25-2008, 10:29 PM
There was just so many better options he could have taken. Like, asking mccain why he wishes that interest rates should be at 0%. I think that would have made him look incredibly stupid.

specsaregood
01-25-2008, 10:31 PM
He should have made it more relavent like "What percentage of current government spending should the united states cut and what programs specifically would you cut to do this?"

Are you crazy?
The question you propose is a softball, just hanging over the plate waiting to be smacked home by a prepared statement by McCain.

Ron Paul's question was a hell of a Knuckleball.
"A knuckleball (or knuckler for short) is a baseball pitch with an erratic, unpredictable motion. The pitch is thrown so as to minimize the spin of the ball in flight. This causes vortices over the stitched seams of the baseball during its trajectory, which can cause the pitch to change direction, including corkscrew, mid-flight. This makes the pitch difficult for batters to hit, but also difficult for pitchers to control. The challenge also extends to the catcher—who must at least attempt to catch the pitch—and the umpire, who must determine whether the pitch was a strike or ball."

And once again it was about Educating the American people. A LOT more people learned about the PPT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunge_Protection_Team) as a result of Ron Paul asking that question. It was wicked and right on the line of questions that shouldn't be asked in public. :)

AlbemarleNC0003
01-25-2008, 10:32 PM
They heard President's group and a list of people whose names are in the news now. Bush by association.

Future4u
01-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Dumbest question ? It was an easy question that Ron Paul knew McCain would
give a dumb answer to . The fact that his own advisers were members made that point quite clear . It wasn't even a curve ball , a softy right down the middle of the plate . If McCain couldn't handle such a simple question ...... ?

McCain then filled the time with B.S.

BTW , his advisers are of Kensyian ( SP ? ) . I'll take the Von Mises .

fmontez
01-25-2008, 10:35 PM
The question was a missed opportunity for certain. It was an irrelevant question to most voters, and had the tinge of a conspiracy type question. It wasn’t a stupid question, but it was a poorly timed question.

McCain’s response was ok; most people didn’t really expect much of an answer because it wasn’t much of a question… McCain got a free pass when we could have hammered him on a dozen issues, from McCain Amnesty to the fake stimulus package.

The whole debate went poorly, right until the last question. When Dr. Paul misses he really misses, and when he hits he really hits. He is an all or nothing type debater.

jclay2
01-25-2008, 10:38 PM
The question was a missed opportunity for certain. It was an irrelevant question to most voters, and had the tinge of a conspiracy type question. It wasn’t a stupid question, but it was a poorly timed question.

McCain’s response was ok; most people didn’t really expect much of an answer because it wasn’t much of a question… McCain got a free pass when we could have hammered him on a dozen issues, from McCain Amnesty to the fake stimulus package.

The whole debate went poorly, right until the last question. When Dr. Paul misses he really misses, and when he hits he really hits. He is an all or nothing type debater.

Thank you fmontez.

Opiner
01-25-2008, 10:39 PM
I think Dr. Paul knows these guys very well and he knows how to handle himself with them. Looking from the outside it is easy to think that things should have been handled differently but being in Dr. Paul's place it is hard to find anyone that would handle it better than him. When the whole system is against you with all its resources it is an uneasy task to defeat it. I think that question instantly eliminated John McCain from the race.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
01-25-2008, 10:43 PM

Just popping into this thread here, and I wanted to say I love your avatar dude. Classic. He would work well with Ron Paul on our budgets.

fmontez
01-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I think Dr. Paul knows these guys very well and he knows how to handle himself with them. Looking from the outside it is easy to think that things should have been handled differently but being in Dr. Paul's place it is hard to find anyone that would handle it better than him. When the whole system is against you with all its resources it is an uneasy task to defeat it. I think that question instantly eliminated John McCain from the race.

For certain. We have to remember that Dr. Paul is a Rep not a Senator or a former Governor. The average person would fumble a lot more put in the same spot, he is learning and getting better every debate. He thinks faster than he speaks.. a sign that he is answering honestly, not repeating a script or party line.

That makes Dr. Paul the better man, but the worse Politician.

specsaregood
01-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Dumbest question ? It was an easy question that Ron Paul knew McCain would
give a dumb answer to . The fact that his own advisers were members made that point quite clear . It wasn't even a curve ball , a softy right down the middle of the plate . If McCain couldn't handle such a simple question ...... ?

McCain then filled the time with B.S.

BTW , his advisers are of Kensyian ( SP ? ) . I'll take the Von Mises .

I disagree, there was no "correct" way for McCain to answer it, even if he knew full well what Dr. Paul meant.

He had 3 choices:
1. Abolish the group. Thus giving Paul's thought credibility and causing even more people to investigate it. WRONG
2. Sanction the group and its behavior Once again causing more people to investigate. AND open himself up to a follow-up: So you think our government should be "fixing" the market? Guess you aren't a free-market kinda guy. WRONG
3. Ramble on about nothing, name drop, act confused and hope it goes ignored by the complacent media and stupid voters. BINGO

RSLudlum
01-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Could also be a set up for the next debate where he might be able to bring it to light again in McCain's face. Maybe Dr. Paul is quite confident on what the discussion is going to be on the economy in the coming weeks.

remember, Dr. Paul's got a crystal ball!!! :)

JFR-Clay
01-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Best info I could find on the effects of the presidents working group on financial markets.
Tough read but VERY informative. Good ammunition for the enlightening !

http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/reality/2005/0403.html

JFR-Clay
01-25-2008, 11:56 PM
McCains answer is clear. Four more years !

Goldwater Conservative
01-26-2008, 12:00 AM
There was just so many better options he could have taken. Like, asking mccain why he wishes that interest rates should be at 0%. I think that would have made him look incredibly stupid.

Most people don't understand that either. If Paul stuck to the issues people understood, he wouldn't talk about sound money and "blowback" which are arguments central to his campaign.

Opiner
01-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I think the question was designed to not be clear. Dr. Paul wanted to make sure he thought about it but he didn't realize he is dealing with someone that thinking doesn't cross his mind.

golf247
01-26-2008, 12:29 PM
This was a very calculated question and they'll use it to make McCain look like a complete fool later on down the road. Any thing else would have been a softball that McCain (or another candidate) could have knocked out of the park simply by using some rehearsed talking points. As evidenced by Dr. Paul's reponse in the post debate YouTube video, he got exactly what he was looking for.

acptulsa
01-26-2008, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-tg1kQ8dk

Nearly 44,000 views and counting.

Next target: Romney! Should be easy. Just hope we get enough views by Super Tuesday!

Dr. Paul, in a gentlemanly manner, pours the water on the dirt, and we pick up the mud and sling so Dr. Paul doesn't even have to get his hands dirty. Teamwork in action!

Stop second guessing and spread it!

Rebel Resource
01-26-2008, 12:57 PM

That would have been a gift to McCain. Any standard economy question like that is easy. McCain would have said the one and only thing he knows about interest rates, then moved quickly onto his rehearsed rhetoric about improving the economy.

The only way to stump them is as Paul did - make it so they can't turn the question around and talk about whatever they want.

You're wrong on this - it was the perfect question.

NoMoreApathy
01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Does anyone here think Paul looked a little timid while he was asking the question, like he was nervous maybe?

I get that when I watch it. I wonder if it was nervousness about making sure he worded it right, or nervousness about how pissed off it could make some people.

Whatever the case, we need to make sure we get this to go viral. That's definitely lost points for McCain once people realize the significance of it.

NoMoreApathy
01-26-2008, 01:01 PM
That would have been a gift to McCain. Any standard economy question like that is easy. McCain would have said the one and only thing he knows about interest rates, then moved quickly onto his rehearsed rhetoric about improving the economy.

The only way to stump them is as Paul did - make it so they can't turn the question around and talk about whatever they want.

You're wrong on this - it was the perfect question.

How could Paul have known McCain wouldn't know enough to get by, though?

Shot in the dark?

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
How could Paul have known McCain wouldn't know enough to get by, though?

Shot in the dark?

More like money in the bank.