PDA

View Full Version : Official "Who got your vote?" Thread -- Ron Paul and who else?

axiomata
01-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Many states have already voted in their primary and many more will in the near future. This thread is to talk about the some of the other elections on your ballot.

Who does the Ron Paul coattail effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coattail_effect) have you supporting? Any particular candidate that you are really happy to vote for?

I am filling out my absentee ballot for Illinois' 13th District and am proudly voting for Andy Martin (http://www.andyforussenator.com/) as the Republican to take on Dick Durbin for his Senate seat.

From his website:

Andy Martin is an internationally recognized expert on the Middle East. He is America’s most respected independent foreign policy and intelligence analyst and serves as executive director of the Revolutionary War Research Center.

Beginning in 2002 Andy was a strong opponent of plans to invade Iraq. Yet he spent much of 2003 as a bureau chief in Baghdad, traveling across Iraq and predicting the chaos-to-come and criticizing management of the invasion. Once again he received worldwide acclaim for his uncannily accurate analyses and predictions.

Andy Martin is the Republican Party’s only Iraq expert with the credibility and independence to take on incumbent Dick Durbin and attack Democratic Party duplicity on the Iraq fiasco. Iraq is going to dominate the 2008 campaign; Andy’s experience and analysis will dominate that debate—and dominate Dick Durbin.

I will also be voting against my incubant Republican congresswoman Judy Biggert. I have no strong animosity toward her, but seeing her as a delegate for Giuliani forced me to look at her opponent Sean O'Kane. He takes a very sensible position on the Iraq war and I'll be voting for him.

From the Daily Herald:

Getting America out of Iraq and how the country ended up at war is the dividing line between Hinsdale Republicans Judy Biggert and Sean O'Kane. The two are vying for the 13th Congressional District seat, now held by Biggert, an attorney. O'Kane, a home builder, disagrees with the rationale for the war, noting that no weapons of mass destruction were found. And he objects to statements by President Bush on the necessity of "taking the fight to the terrorists abroad so we do not have to face them here at home." "That's nonsense," O'Kane said. Biggert, who has supported the war in the past, contends "it doesn't help us to go back and say we were wrong." "I think we're there and we have to fulfill the mission and create stability. There were mistakes made and there was misinformation but I think we went forward based on what we knew at the time," she said. The winner of the Feb. 5 primary will face Democrat Scott Harper and the Green Party's Steve Alesch in the general election in November. O'Kane praised U.S. Iraq commander Gen. David Petraeus for "doing a good job with the surge" that sent thousands more troops into Iraq in 2007. But he contends America needs to develop plans for an orderly withdrawal and put them into action "as soon as feasible." "Iraqis need to solve their own problems," O'Kane said. Without the Iraq burden, America can improve its domestic security by hiring high quality people as airport screeners, for example, he said. O'Kane did not provide his own timetable or benchmarks, saying that should be up to military leaders like Petraeus. "I don't think politicians should set the timetable," he commented.

Your turn.

axiomata
01-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Blump.