PDA

View Full Version : Experiences on talking about Ron Paul

shadowhooch
08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Okay, so I've been on the Ron Paul band wagon for a full month now (and lovin' every minute of it).

Here is my experience when talking to people about him....

We all know Republicans are very fond of Ronald Reagan. As a result, they really gravitate and are very receptive toward's Ron Paul's domestic agenda (cut spending, cut taxes).

However, Ronald Reagan's tough military stances with USSR are viewed by many Republicans as a major reason why the USSR failed and "we won." They often view Ron Pauls non-interventionalism as opposite of Ronald Reagan's philosophy.

Anyone know how Ron Paul would have handled the 1980s? Does he differ from Ronald Reagan on foreign affairs philosophically?

And if he DOESN'T, Ron Paul should make that very clear to Republicans that he supported the foreign policy of Ronald Reagan (buildup of arms, etc) or at least address similarities and differences. I believe Republicans don't fully understand "non-interventionalism" and automatically think that it is opposite of their beloved hero - Ronald Reagan.

Any input appreciated!

DeadheadForPaul
08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
1.) Ron Paul supports a STRONG national defense
2.) While it was crucial that Reagan built up our military for possible war, it was ultimately capitalism that allowed us to prosper while communism caused the USSR to fall apart from the inside.

Ron paul would take the same stance as Reagan: Strong defense and free trade. This is a completely different issue from getting involved in the affairs of other nations. You didn't see Reagan attacking a random nation without justification (Iraq and maybe soon Iran).

Larofeticus
08-02-2007, 10:28 AM
we never actually invaded russia, and they never invaded us.

it wasn't nessecary and we beat the soviets without it.

when we fought communists in other places, we spent alot of money and lives. sometimes we didn't win, but when that happened the domino effect never happened. russia invaded afgahnistan and sunk their economy.

Faulty systems fail on their own; they don't need our help.