PDA

View Full Version : Confusion Over the Meaning of "Federalism"

BuddyRey
08-02-2007, 09:36 AM
This is, admittedly, an idiotic question. I read that Fred Thompson considers himself a "Federalist", yet in the very next sentence, he extolls the virtues of States' Rights. My impression of Federalism Vs. Anti-Federalism was that Federalism, by its very nature, is the OPPOSITE of States' Rights! Is this a deliberate perversion of language on Thompson's part, or has Federalism grown to mean the very opposite of what it once did (much like the word "liberal")? I feel fairly certain that Thomas Jefferson is turning in his grave at these developments.

Kregener
08-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Make no mistake, Thompson is another big-government hack, just like every other current presidential hopeful.

Except Ron Paul.

Main Entry:
fed·er·al·ist Listen to the pronunciation of federalist
Pronunciation:
\-list\
Function:
noun
Date:

1: an advocate of federalism: as a often capitalized : an advocate of a federal union between the American colonies after the Revolution and of the adoption of the United States Constitution b often capitalized : world federalist 2 capitalized : a member of a major political party in the early years of the United States favoring a strong centralized national government
— federalist adjective often capitalized

This would be Thompson.

USPatriot36
08-02-2007, 11:06 AM
The Federalism Fred Thompson gives lips service to is the idea that political power in the US is divided between the state government and the federal government. I believe it is true that in the early years of the republic a Federalist was someone who wanted a stronger 'Federal' government. Today however, most people who advocate 'Federalism' are advocating that power usurped (or stolen) by the Federal gove be returned to the States. They prefer the term Federalism over States rights generally because they seek not to be linked to the civil war which was fought over what many called 'States rights'.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/federalism/

Federalism

Federalism is the theory or advocacy of federal political orders, where final authority is divided between sub-units and a center. Unlike a unitary state, sovereignty is constitutionally split between at least two territorial levels so that units at each level have final authority and can act independently of the others in some area. Citizens thus have political obligations to two authorities. The allocation of authority between the sub-unit and center may vary, typically the center has powers regarding defense and foreign policy, but sub-units may also have international roles. The sub-units may also participate in central decision-making bodies. Much recent philosophical attention is spurred by renewed political interest in federalism, coupled with empirical findings concerning the requisite and legitimate basis for stability and trust among citizens in federations. Philosophical contributions have addressed the dilemmas and opportunities facing Canada, Australia and Europe, to mention just a few areas where federal arrangements are seen as interesting solutions to accommodating differences among populations divided by ethnic or cultural cleavages yet seeking a common political order.

freelance
08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
This is, admittedly, an idiotic question. I read that Fred Thompson considers himself a "Federalist", yet in the very next sentence, he extolls the virtues of States' Rights.

He can get by with this kind of contradiction, because many people don't know what Federalist means. Either that, or he really means that all government should have a stranglehold on us, and it's his little private joke.

BuddyRey
08-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification, y'all! It's bad enough when people use words incorrectly, but when they use a word that is actually defined by its antonym, my head comes close to exploding. It's a pet peeve, I guess!

foofighter20x
08-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I think it should be pointed out that political terms are relative to the context in which they are used.

When we started out, Federalism was the big government option of the two choices... We've since grown beyond that with an ever more unitary federal goverment. Use in that context, then, Federalism is sough as a return to what it originally stood for: small, limited central government only concerned with specifically defined issues