PDA

View Full Version : California State Senator Tom McClintock leans to Ron Paul

TexMac
01-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Use it!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/01/with-fred-thomp.html

With Fred Thompson out of the presidential race, who's a self-respecting conservative to go for? Could it be, maybe, perhaps, a certain Republican-libertarian from Texas?

That's one question perplexing California state Sen. Tom McClintock, possibly the second-most-famous California Republican currently in office after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

McClintock created a stir two months when he endorsed Thompson’s presidential candidacy. Having run for governor, lieutenant governor and state controller, McClintock has shown that while he has not won a statewide contest, he can win GOP primaries, which conservatives tend to dominate. So heading into the Feb. 5 primary, McClintock’s endorsement is seen as important in California.

Now McClintock is mulling his choices. And it comes down to the basics: "Who will respect our Constitution, defend our borders, and reduce the burdens of government on our people?" McClintock said Thursday in Sacramento as the Senate wrapped up its week. "If I were to vote today, I probably would be casting a vote for Ron Paul. I’m not voting today."

Why Paul?

"I do believe he will respect our Constitu-" McClintock said, then stopped midthought. "I don’t want to go too far. I am still looking."
Why not former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney? "I want somebody with a consistent record," McClintock said. "I want someone who didn’t have to go through a political epiphany the day before he announced his candidacy."
-- Dan Morain

January 25, 2008

angrydragon
01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
McClintock knows full well how principled Dr. Paul is, endorse him already Tom!

Primbs
01-25-2008, 12:21 PM
McClintock knows full well how principled Dr. Paul is, endorse him already Tom!

This is what Dr. Paul needs in California.

The budget is the number one issue.

Tidewise
01-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes, I am copying and pasting this from my other thread. McClintock is extremely influential; his endorsement could help win many districts for Dr. Paul.

Please respectfully and politely contact McClintock and request that he endorse Ron Paul now that Fred Thompson has dropped out.

Important points are:

- Ron Paul is a true fiscal conservative who has never voted for an unbalanced budget or a congressional pay raise
- Ron Paul is strongly pro-life and just received the endorsement of pro-life activist Norma McCorvey
- Ron Paul's conservative immigration credentials are impeccable, and only Ron Paul is talking about eliminating the economic incentives driving illegal immigration.
- Ron Paul has real support - he is the number one GOP fundraiser from last quarter, he got second in Nevada and Louisiana (maybe even first there).

Ways to contact Senator McClintock:
His blog:
http://www.carepublic.com/index.html

Email:
info@carepublic.com
senator.mcclintock@sen.ca.gov

TexMac
01-25-2008, 01:44 PM
McClintock would endorse Ron Paul if he got a call from Ron Paul. He said that before he endorsed Thompson. The Ron Paul campaign has so far refused to call him.

If anyone knows how to fix that, give it your best shot.

TexMac
01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes, I am copying and pasting this from my other thread. McClintock is extremely influential; his endorsement could help win many districts for Dr. Paul.

Please respectfully and politely contact McClintock and request that he endorse Ron Paul now that Fred Thompson has dropped out.

Important points are:

- Ron Paul is a true fiscal conservative who has never voted for an unbalanced budget or a congressional pay raise
- Ron Paul is strongly pro-life and just received the endorsement of pro-life activist Norma McCorvey
- Ron Paul's conservative immigration credentials are impeccable, and only Ron Paul is talking about eliminating the economic incentives driving illegal immigration.
- Ron Paul has real support - he is the number one GOP fundraiser from last quarter, he got second in Nevada and Louisiana (maybe even first there).

His blog:

Email:
info@carepublic.com

You don't need to convince McClintock. You need to convince the Ron Paul campaign to give McClintock the courtesy of a personal phone call.

DFF
01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
If he endorses Paul, it would be HUGE.

Zapparulez
01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
My wife and I like McClintock alot. We have voted for him many times(albiet on the losing end usually), but he is a very honorable guy. Living in Sacramento helps keep me up-to-date with state politics, otherwise I probably wouldn't give a damn. Here is the email I sent to him:

>>Mr. McClintock,

My wife and I respect and admire you the most out of all the leaders in this state. You have always been consistent in your views and love for this country. And one day, because of people like you, California will once again be a conservative state. I recently read that you came close to endorsing Ron Paul. My question to you is, why did you not full endorse him? My wife and I became a supporter of his for the same reasons we have supported you over the years. I honestly do not see any other candidate that you could endorse for President. I even thought your endorsement of Fred Thompson was somewhat odd considering Thompson’s history as a lobbyist, but I will concede that besides Ron Paul, Fred was the only other candidate close to being conservative.

I urge you, sir, to fully endorse the only Conservative candidate running for the Office of the President of the United States.

Thank you,
"">>

luvthedoc08
01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
i blogged and am about to send an e-mail, someone get the campaign to call him!

TexMac
01-25-2008, 04:56 PM
i blogged and am about to send an e-mail, someone get the campaign to call him!

We're working on it.

thefred
01-25-2008, 05:19 PM
i hope he does not bring bad luck :D

anyway, that would be awesome to get him endorse RP.

ronpauleddy
01-25-2008, 05:32 PM
DO NOT BADGER HIM WITH E-MAILS!!!

let the campaign handle it!!!!!!

Zapparulez
01-25-2008, 05:45 PM

Hey. Tom McClintock is in my state. He is a state senator. If anyone emails him it should be us supporters here in California. I've voted for the guy in at least 3 different elections, he better read my damn emails. ;)

But yes, keep the entire Ron Paul nation away from his email address...but he needs to know we like and respect him and urge him to support our guy.

Tidewise
01-25-2008, 06:10 PM

Yes, do not "badger" him. But he is a politician and loves to know that people care about what he has to say. The entries on McClintock's blog by Ron Paul supporters are eloquent models for Ron Paul promotion. If the emails are of the same caliber than I hope he is getting loads of them.

TexMac
01-25-2008, 06:43 PM

Important points are:

His blog:

Email:
info@carepublic.com

Tidewise, could you get this information out to some of the California meetups and any other Californians who would be interested in participating in a weekend email campaign to persuade Senator McClintock to endorse Ron Paul?

Respectful, persuasive emails, of course.

We're working on getting RP in touch with Senator McClintock Monday, after the emal campaign. Also, I am told that thoughtful, respectful comments on his blog would be well received and certainly read.

Tidewise
01-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Tidewise, could you get this information out to some of the California meetups and any other Californians who would be interested in participating in a weekend email campaign to persuade Senator McClintock to endorse Ron Paul?

Respectful, persuasive emails, of course.

We're working on getting RP in touch with Senator McClintock Monday, after the emal campaign. Also, I am told that thoughtful, respectful comments on his blog would be well received and certainly read.

Already put the word out to all Southern California Meetups, my man. In fact, I did it the day before McClintock made the comments referenced in the LA Times article :cool:

TexMac
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Excellent. I got the Bay Area.

Paul4Prez
01-25-2008, 10:43 PM

What better way to show him how many supporters Ron Paul actually has, though? Supporters who could be helping HIM in his next race....

I hope he gets more email asking him to endorse Ron Paul than he's ever had on any subject before. I sent him one this afternoon.

Mini-Me
01-25-2008, 11:02 PM
We're working on it.

Isn't it unfortunate how the grass roots has to pull the campaign management along kicking and screaming? :( I mean, seriously...what reason do they have to be obstinate about ANYTHING? Ron Paul needs all of the support he can get, and half of the time, the campaign is acting like it's "too good" to grace someone with a phone call or set up an interview with bigtime talking heads in the MSM.

TexMac
01-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Yes, well, water under the bridge at this point. Let's see if we can get the endorsement now.

dblee
01-27-2008, 09:02 AM
I definitely emailed him. I was very polite and put on my eloquence hat.

If this man cares about getting re-elected he had better endorse Ron Paul :D

ToryNotion
01-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I'd had a membership on www.freerepublic.com since April of 1998. I wasn't active from around 2000 to just recently but I got banned from the site for supporting Dr Paul on a thread about this.

Steve618
01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I voted for McClintock when he was running for office here. I still get e-mails from him. The last one he sent out was about his endorsement of Fred Thompson. I replied that I would only only consider voting for Ron Paul and that he should too. I don't know how many registered republicans are in his e-mail addressbook, but I'll bet it's alot. An endorsement of his for Ron Paul would be more significant than Schwarzeneggers endorsement of McCain because thousands of California reublicans would be notified by e-mail along with an explanation. Let's hope he just doesn't come out with an endorsement for Romney or McCain.

Paul4Prez
02-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Too bad Tom dropped the ball on this one.

California has over 11,000 Ron Paul Meetup volunteers, the most of any state. We could have worked for you Tom.

Californians donated over $2.2 million to Ron Paul in 2007 -- more than any other state. We could have helped you fund your next campaign Tom.

I guess we still might, but the enthusiasm level could have been a lot higher.

And for what? Fred Thompson only raised $855,000 in California, and he's an actor with Hollywood connections!