PDA

View Full Version : Question: What food to stockpile and how?

Dustancostine
01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I have heard a lot of people on these boards say to stockpile food. While I don't think the recession/depression is going to be THAT bad, it is still not a bad idea in general. So here is the question?:

What food should you stockpile?

And How?

Thanks,
Dustan

EvilEngineer
01-25-2008, 10:27 AM
My suggestion is to look into freeze dried foods. Shelf stable for up to 10 years, and more in controlled conditions. Then, large storage of drinking water. I'm aiming on getting 2 600 gallon containers to fill with water. Right now though I've got about 2 weeks of drinking water in bottle form.

Dustancostine
01-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks Wes.

asgardshill
01-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Freeze-dried is an excellent option, but can be pricey. Google "long-term food storage" and you'll find myriad alternatives. Or ask a Mormon.

The One
01-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Pez....lots and lots of cherry-flavored Pez.

hbedford
01-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Go to www.backwoodshome.com and click on the link for articles written by Jackie
Clay. She has articles about what food to buy, how to store them, and ways to cook long term storage foods. She also has many articles on preserving your own food. A general guide line is to buy foods that you would normally eat in bulk and rotate it on a regular basis. Canned goods and dried staples last much longer than most people think as long as they are in a cool, dark, and dry location.

asgardshill
01-25-2008, 10:49 AM
A couple of big cans of Bugler roll-your-own tobacco and rolling papers. Pretty cheap considering the price of regular smokes, and a can lasts forever. And the rolling papers can be used for ... duhn duhn DUHHHHH ... other substances.

StonewallJacksonJenkins
01-25-2008, 11:12 AM
http://www.survival-center.com/foodfaq/

Here you go bud, smart thing to be looking at nowadays. Get you a few silver rounds while you are at it.

PatriotG
01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
RaMen Noodles!

sparebulb
01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
You can do a search and read from some of the Mormon sites as to what to stock and where to buy. What I have gathered is that it is best to keep a rolling stock of what you like to consume. Evidently, you will be left throwing out a bunch of stock if you buy items that you don't normally consume. I'm working on my stash right now and I've determined that I will do better by going heavy on beans. I like beans.

dsentell
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I have been stockpiling food for several years now and recommend the following, not necessarily in the order given:

1. Freeze dried foods
2. MREs (yesterday, asgardshill recommended lots of laxatives stockpiled if you go this route :D)
3. Canned goods, as described by hbedford (above), buy what you normally do, in larger quantities, use them as usual, replace and keep the stock rotated.

I also like to purchase canned goods which offer an entire meal in a can, such as soup. Yesterday, I purchased 28 cans of Progresso Soups (regular price $2.47, on sale for $1.50!!!!) My kind of shopping! :)

1000-points-of-fright
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Booze. Not only is it yummy, but you will always be able to trade it.

ConstitutionGal
01-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Liquor, spices and seasonings are good for barter should the need arise. Staples to have on had in quantity:

1. water or the means of purifying water
2. dried beans
3. dried rice
4. dried or freeze dried meats
5. canned goods
6. powdered milk (good or all manner of baking,cooking, drinking)
7. powdered drink mixes and, if you like tea, tea bags
8. smoked meats will keep for a LONG time providing you have a place to store them away from rodents and insects
9. canned goods, especially fruits and vegatables

Don't forget other stapes that could become hard to come by in the event that international trading should become a problem:

razor blades
sewing needles and thread

Standard staples that a lot of folks don't think to stock up on:

1. Toilet paper
2.. Paper towels
3. Paper plates (if water becomes a problem, I wouldn't want to have to use what little I may have to wash dishes!)
4. personal care products like soap, shampoo, deoderant, etc.
5. batteries (must be rotated to keep fresh ones)
6. first-aid products like peroxide, alcohol, bandaids, pain killers, spray disinfectants, gauze and tape.

Think of the things you use every day and expand your list accordingly.

Oh! And last but CERTAINLY not least:

The means to protect it all!

Computer
01-25-2008, 11:50 AM
A big twenty pound bag of rice & water. That'll get you through the point of finding more food.

minitman
01-25-2008, 12:08 PM
dont forget the 2 lost bibles of survival, edible plants of north america and medicinal plant of north america. if it gets that bad no stock of food will last long enough! plenty of garden seeds if you choose to stay in one place and good canning book.we have all become lazy when it comes to food. I remember in the 70's we all ways had a large garden and canned most of our veggies. also plenty of potado's.

asgardshill
01-25-2008, 12:10 PM
If you're going to buy seeds, make sure they're heirloom seeds. When the balloon goes up is no time to find out that your packet of seeds was genetically-engineered to last only one harvest.

minitman
01-25-2008, 12:13 PM
good point i forgot about!

ConstitutionGal
01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
If you're going to buy seeds, make sure they're heirloom seeds. When the balloon goes up is no time to find out that your packet of seeds was genetically-engineered to last only one harvest.

Excellent point and one I'm ashamed that I forgot to mention! Of course, I was thinking more short term (my bad).

PaulineDisciple
01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned guns and ammo yet. If food gets that scarce you will need these to make sure that you get to eat them.

[edit] sorry, I didn't see the word food in the title.

Marceline88
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Seeds....grow yer own. Learn how to can. Don't be so skeert. Self sufficiency should be something we've all been doing all along. Learn from the Amish. Grocery stores mess with your mind. Buy some chickens.

McDermit
01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I need to get on that whole storing water thing. We're on a well, and even when the power goes out for a few hours, we have no drinking water, no toilet, nothing.

smileylovesfreedom
01-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Cookies. No one stockpiles cookies. I'd give you two oreos for some gold :p

Though seriously, you could also stockpile stuff like protein/energy bars. They usually last few years, can be carried easily, contain various nutrients and vitamins and may be a good for a change of pace from all those beans and rice :)

MalcolmGandi
01-26-2008, 04:04 PM
It'd be a lot cheaper to make your own protein bars, I saw a recipe online somewhere... youtube maybe.

Agent CSL
01-26-2008, 04:22 PM
In addition to stockpiling, might I suggest reading up on local botany and keeping a book of poisonous plants and mushrooms.

WV Freedom Fighter
01-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned guns and ammo yet. If food gets that scarce you will need these to make sure that you get to eat them.

Actually a good idea! You might have to shoot some squirrels, rabbits, deer etc. for food.

ConstitutionGal
01-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Seeds....grow yer own. Learn how to can. Don't be so skeert. Self sufficiency should be something we've all been doing all along. Learn from the Amish. Grocery stores mess with your mind. Buy some chickens.

Having chickens or any other livestock is getting ready to put your name on a list of places to hit to confiscate foodstuffs. Look up the NAIS (Natoinal Animal Identification System). It proposes tagging and registering EVERY single animal that is raised for food and linking it to the property where it resides (is born, sold to ,etc.) which must ALSO be registered! Many groups are fighting this but several states have already begun setting up their databases and they're beginning the program by offering incentives to those who go ahead and sign up!! It's being touted as a way to keep our food supply 'safe' from things like the Avian Flu and Mad Cow Disease! Many people, however, are seeing it as a means to control the food which is, IMHO, more in line with the real aim of the program to begin with.

VIDEODROME
01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
How about Popcorn? Not the microwave bags but just jars of popcorn seeds. Could you just get a fire going and pop them in a pot with a lid?

asgardshill
01-26-2008, 06:10 PM
How about Popcorn? Not the microwave bags but just jars of popcorn seeds. Could you just get a fire going and pop them in a pot with a lid?

Yep - old-school popcorn. Just throw 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the bottom of the pot, add popcorn, cover, and heat while shaking frequently. Pops just like in a microwave.

DDMX
01-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Our neighbors (who are mormon) have flour and water for, a year worth I think. Makes great bread:)

freedom-maniac
01-26-2008, 06:34 PM
http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/zombiesurvivalguide/

RJB
01-26-2008, 07:01 PM

Good point. Guns with a few hundred rounds of ammo protect your food and add some local critters to the menu. Eating processed crap for a few months will leave you hungry for something fresh.

Know local wild edibles- especially nuts and roots. These are the highest in nutrition. Roots can be dug all year if you know where they're buried. Also wild edibles provide FRESH vegetables. Stored food looses their vitamins potency after a few years.

Another thing to consider is traps and snares. These catch game at night when most animals move. the traps also do the hunting for you so you can go to work. They also take the game quietly so you don't atract attention.

Dustancostine
01-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone.

Great Great Great Ideas.

Especially the booze.

If the world is going down the drain, plenty of people will want to get drunk.

--Dustan

jonahtrainer
01-27-2008, 02:25 AM
Stockpile what you eat and rotate through it. I always have at least 6 months of food on hand. I have probably 5 years worth of the basics like wheat, rice, beans, etc.

The Mormons (http://www.providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html) have high quality stuff for super cheap prices. I guess you can just pretend to like Romney. Actually, I hear some like Ron Paul. Go figure.

InLoveWithRon
01-27-2008, 02:32 AM
Liquor, spices and seasonings are good for barter should the need arise. Staples to have on had in quantity:

1. water or the means of purifying water
2. dried beans
3. dried rice
4. dried or freeze dried meats
5. canned goods
6. powdered milk (good or all manner of baking,cooking, drinking)
7. powdered drink mixes and, if you like tea, tea bags
8. smoked meats will keep for a LONG time providing you have a place to store them away from rodents and insects
9. canned goods, especially fruits and vegatables

Don't forget other stapes that could become hard to come by in the event that international trading should become a problem:

razor blades
sewing needles and thread

Standard staples that a lot of folks don't think to stock up on:

1. Toilet paper
2.. Paper towels
3. Paper plates (if water becomes a problem, I wouldn't want to have to use what little I may have to wash dishes!)
4. personal care products like soap, shampoo, deoderant, etc.
5. batteries (must be rotated to keep fresh ones)
6. first-aid products like peroxide, alcohol, bandaids, pain killers, spray disinfectants, gauze and tape.

Think of the things you use every day and expand your list accordingly.

Oh! And last but CERTAINLY not least:

The means to protect it all!

It's so much work to be human.. Wish we were like snakes- just eat once every 2 months and be done with it.

Roxi
06-28-2008, 07:42 PM
i hate promoting anything from bass pro shops (Love the store, hate the owner.... johnny morris is an asshat) BUT.... last time i was there i saw this book that was bound in water proof casing and was called something like "how to survive ANYTHING handbook" it had absolutely everything you could possibly need to know in it...

ill try to find it online

pacelli
06-30-2008, 05:54 PM

That's right. Go either heirloom or open-pollinated. Both permit you to save seeds for next year.

Saving seeds for an extended period of time is possible, but there are many scams out there that will try to sell you 7 years worth of seeds. Unless you know what you're doing with seed saving, your common seed won't last longer than a year in storage (on average). There are exceptions and ways to save them longer, but for the average gardener, it is better to learn how to harvest your own seeds for longevity purposes.

Also, if you want to stockpile food, learn how to garden while you still have resources available to learn how to do it.

DirtMcGirt
10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
+1