PDA

View Full Version : debate recap

AisA1787
01-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Here is an overview of last night's debate for anyone who missed it.

Romney - Best dressed. Mormon. Gets the award for stupidest answer of the night -- when asked how much of his own money he'd spent on the campaign, so the voters of Florida could factor that in to their decision, he replied "I don't care what the voters think, I care about the other candidates."

McCain - Knows the least about the economy, but he was there in 1982 when Phil Gramm cut taxes and he knows Jack Kemp, so that should take care of it. Really hopes the United States citizens will just "let us win" the war in Iraq. When other candidates were speaking, he could be seen scratching off instant play lottery tickets in a desperate effort to come up with funds to let us win.

Giuliani - Was in New York City on 9/11.

Huckabee - Conceded that he has no chance to win the general election and announced that he will instead run for the position of United States Jester. People were confused at first, but then he made an analogy to the tortoise and the hare, which made people smile, reminisce about their youth, and feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Paul - Desperately needs a speech coach. Gets the award for most obscure reference of the night when he asked McCain about what he intends to do about the President's Working Group on Financial Markets if elected. On the bright side, it showed that McCain doesn't know jack about the economy, unless you count Jack Kemp.

Edit: Youtube videos...
Paul clips - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjBwa0aiTdY
Paul's question to McCain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ1OB2iLxcY

jumpyg1258
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
You forgot that McCain's mother got more attention than Ron Paul did last night.

colin1
01-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Here is an overview of last night's debate for anyone who missed it.

Romney - Best dressed. Mormon. Gets the award for stupidest answer of the night -- when asked how much of his own money he'd spent on the campaign, so the voters of Florida could factor that in to their decision, he replied "I don't care what the voters think, I care about the other candidates."

McCain - Knows the least about the economy, but he was there in 1982 when Phil Gramm cut taxes and he knows Jack Kemp, so that should take care of it. Really hopes the United States citizens will just "let us win" the war in Iraq. When other candidates were speaking, he could be seen scratching off instant play lottery tickets in a desperate effort to come up with funds to let us win.

Giuliani - Was in New York City on 9/11.

Huckabee - Conceded that he has no chance to win the general election and announced that he will instead run for the position of United States Jester. People were confused at first, but then he made an analogy to the tortoise and the hare, which made people smile, reminisce about their youth, and feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Paul - Desperately needs a speech coach. Gets the award for most obscure reference of the night when he asked McCain about what he intends to do about the President's Working Group on Financial Markets if elected. On the bright side, it showed that McCain doesn't know jack about the economy, unless you count Jack Kemp.

Edit: Youtube videos...
Paul clips - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjBwa0aiTdY
Paul's question to McCain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ1OB2iLxcY

Too late for a speech coach. I didn't bother watching last night...the "debates" just don't play to the good Doctor's strength...when he has more than a minute to respond to a complex issue he does well. The debate format just doesn't work for him, and apparently he's unwilling to change his style to suit the debates, so I just took a pass.

virgil47
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
I must agree with the previous posters. Dr. Paul is not trying to sell himself to the voters. He constantly says we should do this, we should do that. He never says "I" will do this if "I" am elected president. So far he hasn't asked the voters to elect him. Dr. Paul is an intellectual and intellectuals are by definition introverts. Very, very few intellectuals are people oriented. It is very disheartening to be aware of the great ideas and principles that Dr. Paul stands for and watch him fumble and mumble his responses to simple straight forward questions. I am still in disbelief that he did not anticipate the question on social security and have a well thought out answer prepared. I think that this campaign has focused entirely to much on the younger generation. Disregarding or just not actively campaigning with the baby boomers in mind will be the kiss of death to all of the magnificent ideas and desires Ron Paul stands for. Whether we Ron Paul supporters like it or not the baby boomers are the 800 pound gorilla in this election. Dr. Paul needs a speech coach A.S.A.P. and he needs a team that he works closely with to anticipate questions that may be asked and come up with concise simple answers. It would appear he is attempting to come up with a viable answer to questions as they are posed. Doing this usually ends up with the speaker appearing to mumble as he trys to formulate an answer and ends up with a rambling delivery as he trys to include everything he wants to say. Many on this forum will NOT like this post. These folks need to learn what the real world is about. The american people are going to elect a president not an idea. Learn and adapt or face extinction.:)