PDA

View Full Version : Romney: 'I'm not concerned about voters'

Bradley in DC
01-25-2008, 01:35 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/01/24/romney-im-not-concerned-about-voters/

Romney: 'I'm not concerned about voters'
Posted: 11:15 PM ET
(CNN) – It’s a sound bite that probably wouldn’t play well without any context.

"Well, I'm not concerned about the voters," Mitt Romney said during Thursday’s presidential debate.

The statement came during a back and forth with moderator Tim Russert, after Romney was asked how much of his own money he has donated to his presidential campaign.

"We'll report that on the 31st of January, as required by law, and probably not a minute earlier. You'll just have to wait, Tim," Romney said.

"But why not tell the voters of Florida and across the country how much of your own wealth you're spending, so they can make a judgment and factor that into their own decision?" Russert responded.

"Well, I'm not concerned about the voters," Romney replied. "I'm much more concerned about the other guys on this stage. And we have some competitive information that we make sure that we use for our own benefit.

"But I can tell you this: I've raised more money than any other Republican in this race — raised more," he added. "Friends of mine have come together, people I knew in high school and helped raised money for me."

wstrucke
01-25-2008, 01:36 AM
indeed.

Dave Pedersen
01-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Wow that's some high school he went to..

wildflower
01-25-2008, 01:38 AM
I saw that and I almost choked on my dinner. :D I couldn't believe that blunder.... his supporters on FR are saying it is being "taken out of context", but to me it came across as an unintentional slip.

btw - is the debate on YouTube yet? I want to put together a video.

ocomys
01-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Well, what I think he meant was "I'm not concerned about the voters KNOWING.....I'm concerned about the guys on stage" As in...he doesnt care if the voters know how much he spent...he just doesnt want the other campaigns to know yet. I thought that was implied but apparently CNN doesn't agree lol.

yanksforpaul
01-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Well, what I think he meant was "I'm not concerned about the voters KNOWING.....I'm concerned about the guys on stage" As in...he doesnt care if the voters know how much he spent...he just doesnt want the other campaigns to know yet. I thought that was implied but apparently CNN doesn't agree lol.

Seriously. I'm no Romney fan, but c'mon, don't take people's words out of context. It was clear what he meant.

gregl26
01-25-2008, 01:42 AM

regardless he sounded like an elitist shmuck and i hope ppl picked up on that

davo
01-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Seriously. I'm no Romney fan, but c'mon, don't take people's words out of context. It was clear what he meant.

LMAO

wildflower

Hi, Mr. 1 post.

To me it was how he said it, it came across as arrogant and although I can't read his mind, my feeling about it was that it was a rare moment of truth.

pacelli

LOL. Yes, it was DEFINITELY clear what he meant.

Molly1
01-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Yes this is out of context, to give the devil his due.

He meant he was not concerned about releasing the information to voters; he didn't want to release it to the other candidates on the stage with him.

But there was someone else who said he didn't change his mind no matter what the polls said. Does anyone remember who that was?

Was that Mccain talking about the war?

yanksforpaul
01-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Hi, Mr. 1 post.

To me it was how he said it, it came across as arrogant and although I can't read his mind, my feeling about it was that it was a rare moment of truth.

Well, you're free to think whatever you'd like about it. It was pretty clear in the context of the question he was saying he didn't want to say how much he spent in Florida not because he didn't want the voters to find out, but because he didn't want reveal his campaign strategy to his opponents.

NJ Carlos
01-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Sorry but you're all making too much of this. He did indeed mean he isn't concerned with voters knowing how much he spent, but was concerned with the other candidates knowing. Stopping reaching...

wildflower
01-25-2008, 01:57 AM
Sometimes when people say something it can have more than one meaning. He may have meant what you're saying he meant, but he could've worded it differently. The way it was worded and the way it came out sounding - arrogant and flippant, made me think that it was a slip... a bit of truth that inadvertently came out.

And you might want to check these videos (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=100952) out, if you think he is oh so sincere.

all J's in IL for RP
01-25-2008, 02:26 AM
I, too, laughed at his first statement, thinking "boy, did he just stick his foot in it this time" until I heard the rest of the statement. I think most everybody is going to let this one slide as a poor choice of words, but agreeing to the sentiment. I hope they remember the question [aren't you trying to buy the presidency?]

His statement is exactly what I say when people on this board demand an accounting from Paul's campaign about where he spent the money or where he plans on spending the money. To do so is idiotic.