PDA

View Full Version : Hotline on the debate

Bradley in DC
01-25-2008, 01:31 AM
http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/archives/2008/01/no_battle_in_bo.html#comments
[check out the comments ;)]

No Battle In Boca

Winners:

Hillary Rodham Clinton -- The GOP anointed her the nominee tonight. Mentioned HRC at every possible turn and each set themselves up as the most worthy adversary. She is the Republicans' battle cry ...

Mitt Romney -- Mistake-free night -- with small bobbles on that question about running against Hillary AND Bill Clinton, and another inquiry about his support for the Second Amendment. Overall, as expected, Romney stressed his economic credentials and deftly pitched himself as a Washington outsider. Romney's good when he's not on defense -- as he was in N.H. at Saint Anselm College. He was flustered that night. Tonight, he was confident. Ably dodged that question about sinking his personal fortune into the campaign.

John McCain -- A very fine night for McCain. The toast to Rudy Giuliani, after the former NYC mayor was eviscerated by the NYT in the paper's endorsement of McCain, was well done. Collegial. Thoughful. Spontaneous even. McCain's goal was to position himself as an acceptable conservative. And he did that. Tweaking his position on taxes, however believably, to show that he now favors making the Bush tax cut permanent. McCain has been as hawkish as they come on the war and the surge, and he stated as much again this evening. And then there was this ... Temper? What temper?

Mike Huckabee -- He's looking more and more like the leading Veep contender. He and McCain even had a chummy off-mic moment at the conclusion of the debate. Huck knows where he stands on the issues. Guns? Loves 'em. Flat tax? Bring it on. His faith? A central part of his life. His straight talk is appealing, no doubt, to many voters. But money problems could sink him Feb. 5.

Losers

Rudy Giuliani -- 6th, 4th and 6th. Those were his finishes in the last three primaries. And, frankly, when that question was asked of him -- How do you rebound from those defeats? Was the Florida strategy misguided? -- he seemed deflated. No wide, toothy grin. No chuckle. Beyond that, he's just not a good fit for the GOP base. Unlike Romney, and perhaps admirably, he has not as effectively shuffled his positions to appeal to conservatives. On choice, guns and more.

Ron Paul -- The time has come and gone for Paul. His opposition to the war injects a different perspective into the GOP contest. But at this point, we're looking at a three-person race, assuming Giuliani doesn't miraculously rebound in Florida. Paul got limited air time tonight.

Trigonx
01-25-2008, 01:34 AM
i'm glad, that women must have been blind.

Paulitical Correctness
01-25-2008, 01:37 AM
A woman wrote it?

How surprising. :rolleyes:

Don't hate, I'm just saying...:/

wstrucke
01-25-2008, 01:39 AM
so because msnbc avoided asking RP questions, that translates to him not being viable?!?

what the hell?!

driller80545
01-25-2008, 01:39 AM
It is amazing to me that these people can be so deathly afraid of the islamofascist terrorists and at the same time believe that there is an endless supply of credit in this country. I have no fear of the terrorists, but am deftly afraid of the economy and big government. Do they see something that I am not seeing?

pacelli
01-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Quality > Mindless quantity, "straight talk". What a joke! Every time I hear McCain say "straight talk" I literally cannot control my laughter.

Molly1
01-25-2008, 01:43 AM
wow great letters!

You guys are my heros.

fmontez
01-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Will RP be invited to post Super Tuesday Debates? I wonder... I am willing to bet that without a win the answer is no.