PDA

View Full Version : Paul had the perfect opportunity to make McCain look pathetic and didn't do it

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 01:17 AM
When McCain was done mumbling, Paul should have taken command !!!

And if the moderators interrupted him he should have said you gave Romney and McCain all the time, give me 20 seconds, and the moderators would have allowed it.

Then, Paul should have turned to McCain and said the following- "John, you advertise yourself as a straight-talker, I have never heard such mumbo jumbo in 10 years working in congress.. I asked you for a "yes or no" answer, and all you can give me is maybe, just maybe one of your friends knows the answer".

"John, this is an election for the highest elected office in the world.. I am going to ask you again, yes, or no.. Yes or no. Yes or no John !

Why didn't Paul attack him like that ?? And then when McCain would still fudge the answer, not answering yes or no.. Paul could have responded by saying " You see, this is what people in America are sick and tired of.. Politicians who just give rhetoric and can't be honest with the people or give a straight answer"..

A moment like I have described here would have ended the campaign for McCain and started a HUGE surge for Paul.. But Paul left him off the hook !! Why man.. We had him ! We had McCain on the ropes and Paul should have givenMcCain that left hook for the knockout punch..

That was the moment we have all been waiting for and I am SO frustrated we had a chance at that monumental moment and we blew it.

Trigonx
01-25-2008, 01:19 AM
thats not his character.

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Well Ron better learn to be that way because it's what American voters vote for.. The reagan moment..

I cant believe Paul's been working for 30 years in office fighting the fight of liberty and he doesn't unleash.. All that frustration working with these bureaucrats for all those years SHOULD have come down to that moment tonight.. He had McCain on the ropes on national TV... .. What the fuck does Paul have to lose? he will come in last in florida ANYWAY !!

Take a chance ! If Paul did what I said the revolution would be so alive now we wouldnt know what to do with ourselves.

driller80545
01-25-2008, 01:22 AM
Dr. Paul did all of that with his silence. He didn't have to make a fool of McCain because McCain was doing it just fine by himself.

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 01:24 AM
wrong.. Americans are too stupid.. I bet most of them think McCain answered him well.. Because americans didnt even know what the question was.. Had Paul came back at him like I said, they would have seen stronger leadership in him than they do McCain..

Paul is seen as a pacifist way too much and its killing the campaign.. Paul looks weak up there. he needs to get the mojo rolling if he has even the slightest chance.. Sorry but it's true.

This is big politics man.. You cant pull punches when you have the leader on the ropes and your in last place !!

TER
01-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Ron Paul knows when to be meek and when to be assertive. I think he's the most patient politician I've ever seen.

Enzo
01-25-2008, 01:26 AM
I don't know... I thought McCain looked pretty ridiculous trying to wrangle some kind of coherent response.

It was effective to the degree that it made McCain appear very ignorant about economic issues.

And even if most of the audience didn't understand the question either, Ron Paul did preface it by stating that it was an economic question.

I think most people came away with the impression that McCain is quite ignorant about economics. Especially when you include the Russert economic question.

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Ron Paul knows when to be meek and when to be assertive. I think he's the most patient politician I've ever seen.

I respect him for being strong enough to be patient.. But THE MAJORITY OF AMERICAN PEOPLE look at it as weakness.,., They think he's too much of a pacifist.

I'm sorry. But thats just the truth.,.,

driller80545
I have always had more respect for a man of quiet confidence. It makes me wonder what he is thinking. When someone is loudly aggressive, he is not thinking.
I know what you are saying though. You are probably right.

Marc3579
He did just fine letting McCain talk in circles. It's no in his character to attack or sling mud at other candidates. He's been in politics for 30 years, I'll give him my faith in him and his message. I won't second guess what he's done in debates. Would you have done it on the stage all of those people watching you and all of the eyes on you from the television?

Yes, it's easy for us to sit here and nit-pick his debate appearance, but, I've never been in that situation. I don't foresee the circumstance coming up for me. I won't second guess what he did tonight.

gracebkr
01-25-2008, 01:28 AM
he didn't have to. I am sick of the rhetoric, that is what makes Ron Paul so attractive. He is not about bullshitting. We saw, we know.

gregl26
01-25-2008, 01:29 AM

And if the moderators interrupted him he should have said you gave Romney and McCain all the time, give me 20 seconds, and the moderators would have allowed it.

Then, Paul should have turned to McCain and said the following- "John, you advertise yourself as a straight-talker, I have never heard such mumbo jumbo in 10 years working in congress.. I asked you for a "yes or no" answer, and all you can give me is maybe, just maybe one of your friends knows the answer".

"John, this is an election for the highest elected office in the world.. I am going to ask you again, yes, or no.. Yes or no. Yes or no John !

Why didn't Paul attack him like that ?? And then when McCain would still fudge the answer, not answering yes or no.. Paul could have responded by saying " You see, this is what people in America are sick and tired of.. Politicians who just give rhetoric and can't be honest with the people or give a straight answer"..

A moment like I have described here would have ended the campaign for McCain and started a HUGE surge for Paul.. But Paul left him off the hook !! Why man.. We had him ! We had McCain on the ropes and Paul should have givenMcCain that left hook for the knockout punch..

That was the moment we have all been waiting for and I am SO frustrated we had a chance at that monumental moment and we blew it.

+ 1776

TER
01-25-2008, 01:31 AM
I respect him for being strong enough to be patient.. But THE MAJORITY OF AMERICAN PEOPLE look at it as weakness.,., They think he's too much of a pacifist.

I'm sorry. But thats just the truth.,.,

I completely see your point. I guess I'm giving Ron Paul the benefit of the doubt. I know, I was thinking along the lines as you in how he should have responded.

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 01:31 AM
McCain is winning the republican side not because he knows the issues.. It's because he shows to be a strong leader.. Thats ALL McCain has, we all know he's a dumbass, but he shows he is strong and thats enough to lead a race in America.. Americans are stupid to just vote for that but that's just the way it is..,

Paul had a unique opportunity to make the Strong McCain look like a little weak schoolboy.. He had the chance to knock him out.. He had a chance to have a moment we'd all talk about 10 years later.. He had the chance to knock McCain out of the race., Paul had him on the ropes and instead of punching him out like he should have, Paul retrieved back to his corner..

Considering what americans vote for, it was the WRONG move.

driller80545
01-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Dr. Paul needs to make some noise to get the attention of the general public. But it needs to be positive noise, not at the expense of someone else.

thegr8drronpaul
01-25-2008, 01:32 AM
I agree inlove... I just hope that RP has a reason for not doing so, because there have been too many missed opportunities. I can't believe how strong he is though to get our there day after day and continue fighting against this bull sh*t. Watching all of this makes me want to put my fist through the tv and he's actually living it. Hopefully the reason he stays quiet is part of his 'secret plan' haha.

TER
01-25-2008, 01:33 AM
I don't think it is in Ron Paul's character to publicly be-little Senator McCain. I think he gave his warning shot to McCain, and McCain learned his place.

pacelli
01-25-2008, 01:34 AM
CNN & LA Times debate on Jan 30. 5 Days.

IcyPeaceMaker
The google search for - youtube ron paul msnbc florida debate - shows they believe McCain seems not to know much about the economy, if you read the bibliography at the thread.

Here's RP's Q & MC's A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ1OB2iLxcY

ocomys
Well, Ron wasn't going to let him off the hook completely....he did interject and say "Is that a yes or a no?" And McCain (Mr Straight Talk) obviously didn't answer and everybody saw that. But I do see InLove's point....and a good point it is.

TER
01-25-2008, 01:36 AM
I tell you one thing about McCain, he's going to be getting alot of phone calls and pep talks about the economy in the next few days. The only problem is, will he be able to stay awake through them?

all J's in IL for RP
01-25-2008, 01:36 AM
To those that didn't understand the question, McCain looked like he didn't understand it either and came off looking not ready for prime time. To those that did understand the question, McCain's answer made it seem as if he'd continue the unpopular policy of an unrepresentative secretive group messing with the economy, despite the "more sunshine is good" bit.

Paul didn't hit a Home Run; he got a single and took another base on McCain's error. He didn't risk getting cut down at third by trying to rub it in, something that goes against his character (to extend the metaphor, think of him as a lead-footed first baseman).

IcyPeaceMaker
01-25-2008, 01:37 AM
I believe McCain's remark about respecting all his collegues on the stage was meant to get Paul to ask a kinder question, but it didn't work. :-) We're in this to win.

Paul's question definately showed, even to dummys, that he knows the economy.

TER
01-25-2008, 01:37 AM
To those that didn't understand the question, McCain looked like he didn't understand it either and came off looking not ready for prime time. To those that did understand the question, McCain's answer made it seem as if he'd continue the unpopular policy of an unrepresentative secretive group messing with the economy, despite the "more sunshine is good" bit.

Paul didn't hit a Home Run; he got a single and took another base on McCain's error. He didn't risk getting cut down at third by trying to rub it in, something that goes against his character (to extend the metaphor, think of him as a lead-footed first baseman).

good post

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 01:40 AM

The problem with your theory is Paul doesn't need singles, he needs homeruns dammit.. The other candidates are way ahead and Paul is last in Florida.. Paul had nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain by going for the home run out of the park bases loaded homer..

But he failed.. What the fuck did Paul have to lose.. Paul will end up last in Florida ANYWAY ! What does a single do for a last place baseball team in the league? Especially when it's in the 9th inning here before Super Tuesday and the last debate before the Florida Primary..

I cant believe people dont agree with me.. If Paul had the moment like I described, TONS of people would be coming our way.. American voters are stupid and vote for those kinds of things.. It worked for reagan ! And it's working for Mccain.. Paul should have had it working for him.

Paul had absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

TER
01-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Here, again, we are relying on Ron to do what he thinks is right (which is why we love him). Lets give him the benefit of the doubt. It's like us knowing how to play the game and hit homeruns without ever even putting a uniform on!

IcyPeaceMaker
01-25-2008, 01:44 AM
I believe RP is looking to super tuesday, hostility isn't in his nature, he's a gentleman. I believe he made a strong point against Mac. That was enough. If Romney beats Mac again, he's washed up. I think RP is looking to make it a two horse race, and who knows, maybe Romney has made some overtures to RP.

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Paul should have looked into the camera and said- " You see, this is why the republican party is getting smaller, they can't give you a straight answer' , they can't answer a simple yes or no question". How are any of these other candidates on this stage going to impove Washington when they give the same rhetoric as Washington" ?

Thats what he should of said, or something to that effect. I'm sorry guys, but if you think all the dumb Americans are going to vote for a weak looking president your all delusional.. Paul needs to step it up 2 notches. 80% of americans are total dummies.. And Paul could have dumbed it down for America perfectly for them by using this tactic. Because no one can beat Paul in a debate anyway so there is no reason why he shouldnt implement that tactic more.

cjhowe
01-25-2008, 01:51 AM
RP laid that pitch right where it needs to be. Come tomorrow and every day until the primary, Mitt Romney will beat McCain over the head with it or some similar vein. Let Mitt spend millions to do the screaming and let McCain auction off the last thread of his dignity to defend himself. RP is just creating a situation to let them be each other's fodder.

BigRedBrent
01-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Dr. Paul did all of that with his silence. He didn't have to make a fool of McCain because McCain was doing it just fine by himself.

I hope you are right. I desperately hope you are right. I think Ron does need to show a bit more fire in the debates. When ever he does he shines like the light of truth, and people can see it in his eyes.

Honestly it is like an addiction. I can not get enough of his fiery outbursts. I can't wait till I can see more of it. It is a thrill every time I am a witness to it. Is it just me or does his outbursts give you a thrill or what. :P

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 01:54 AM
I hope you are right. I desperately hope you are right. I think Ron does need to show a bit more fire in the debates. When ever he does he shines like the light of truth, and people can see it in his eyes.

Honestly it is like an addiction. I can not get enough of his fiery outbursts. I can't wait till I can see more of it. It is a thrill every time I am a witness to it. Is it just me or does his outbursts give you a thrill or what. :P

Exactly.. that is EVEN MORE reason why he should have knocked McCain out when he had the opportunity.,., Because Paul is DAMN GOOD AT IT!!!!!!

DAMN GOOD>

all J's in IL for RP
01-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Looking for the homerun comment from Paul you were waiting for, thinking he might morph on the stage into Ronald Reagan saying he paid for the microphone or some such, is missing the point of Ron's character. He doesn't get the fire in his stomach unless he's attacked. I see the same character showing through in his foreign policy statements. Don't attack, but be prepared to respond with force.

McCain was jumping around making faces getting giddy with excitement expecting a war question. Probably the 100 years comment to which he probably had a response in the can. Ron's question threw him, and McCain stumbled (baseball metaphor again: Ron threw a curveball). There was little opportunity to follow up that kind of a question with a put down and not come off looking like a jerk. Ron's ways are subtle.

Looking at strategy, I don't think there is a homerun question or answer that might win him Florida at this point, unless something unforeseen happens. So let's look at what's attainable. If McCain doesn't win Florida, and he losses the inevitability aura, the race becomes tight again and a brokered convention more likely. Giuliani is third in recent polls and sinking fast. I think Paul has a chance to knock him out of the race with a strong finish. In any case, Giuliani failing to win his launch state throws his entire national strategy into doubt and he probably tanks all across the nation on Super Tuesday, where he's spent the most of his advertising dollars and spent most of his time. Ron might become the inheritor of that national strategy with targeted multi-state advertising. He's one of the only candidates that might be able to afford it. If he gets the funds.

nightlight
01-25-2008, 02:36 AM

Dr Paul response was a masterpiece of chivalry and godlike grace. Just watch his priceless look (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ1OB2iLxcY) after McCain stopped rambling. There was no need to torment further the vanquished little chipmunk, squirming and pleading for mercy (watch McCain's body language, as he pleads 'Ron' or ''I was there, you were there...').

Let it grow on you, as with anything else from him, and you will see that Dr Paul's response was a perfection. We are enchanted by him precisely because he resonates with the most noble and most beautiful chords in each of us. We love him because we love what we become with him.