PDA

View Full Version : Is MSNBC gonna get in trouble for rigging debate?

dan barry
01-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Is there any rules that they have to abide by? Is giving Romney 26 minutes to speak, and Ron Paul 5 minutes to speak fair.

You'd think that since everyone already knows what Romney and McCain are about, that they'd actually give Ron Paul more airtime to be fair.

In my opinion Msnbc was far worse in being "fair and balanced" than Fox's debate. A complete joke. MSNBC should be fined millions for shaping the public's opinion. Shame on them. God dammit.

NMCB3
01-24-2008, 11:42 PM
These so called "debates" have nothing to do with being fair, its theater.

Paul4Prez
01-24-2008, 11:45 PM
That's why they put them on a cable channel, so the FCC rules don't apply....

TER
01-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Fear not! Now off to LA!

bobo37
01-24-2008, 11:48 PM
NO but I'm sure they will get alot of protest and e-mails about it

Thanehand
01-25-2008, 12:07 AM
No, because America doesn't care that they are being manipulated. Until they do, this will continue.

JGalt
01-25-2008, 12:08 AM
No, because none of the corporate whores that the media listens to are going to complain about it.

VoteForRonPaul
01-25-2008, 12:14 AM
MSNBC should be fined millions for shaping the public's opinion. Shame on them. God dammit.
Regardless of what is happening, we the grassroots are getting the biggest chance of shaping the public opinion. It would not happen overnight but it will happen, only if we stick to the message and keep going!

cien750hp
01-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Regardless of what is happening, we the grassroots are getting the biggest chance of shaping the public opinion. It would not happen overnight but it will happen, only if we stick to the message and keep going!

are you suggesting what i think you're suggesting...

a fleet of blimps! an "F U FRANK" one
another "F U FAUX NEWS"
another "F U CNN"
another "F U NBC"

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 12:19 AM
America is not about freedom, issues or fair debates.. It's about publicity.. The nation as a whole is just one big prostitution ring.. Not a constitution one.

Constitution vs Prostitution

pepperpete1
01-25-2008, 12:46 AM

The rules for cable differ very little from other television broadcasting:

Section 76.205 [47 CFR §76.205] Origination cablecasts by legally qualified candidates for public office; equal opportunities.

(a) General requirements. No cable television system is required to permit the use of its facilities by any legally qualified candidate for public office, but if any system shall permit any such candidate to use its facilities, it shall afford equal opportunities to all other candidates for that office to use such facilities. Such system shall have no power of censorship over the material broadcast by any such candidate. Appearance by a legally qualified candidate on any:

(1) Bona fide newscast;

(2) Bona fide news interview;

(3) Bona fide news documentary (if the appearance of the candidate is incidental to the presentation of the subject or subjects covered by the news documentary); or

(4) On-the-spot coverage of bona fide news events (including, but not limited to political conventions and activities incidental thereto) shall not be deemed to be use of a system. (section 315(a) of the Communications Act.)

(b) Uses. As used in this section and § 76.206, the term "use" means a candidate appearance (including by voice or picture) that is not exempt under paragraphs 76.205 (a)(1) through (a)(4) of this section.

(c) Timing of Request. A request for equal opportunities must be submitted to the system within 1 week of the day on which the first prior use giving rise to the right of equal opportunities occurred: Provided, however, That where the person was not a candidate at the time of such first prior use, he or she shall submit his or her request within 1 week of the first subsequent use after he or she has become a legally qualified candidate for the office in question.

(d) Burden of proof. A candidate requesting equal opportunities of the system or complaining of noncompliance to the Commission shall have the burden of proving that he or she and his or her opponent are legally qualified candidates for the same public office.

(e) Discrimination between candidates. In making time available to candidates for public office, no system shall make any discrimination between candidates in practices, regulations, facilities, or services for or in connection with the service rendered pursuant to this part, or make or give any preference to any candidate for public office or subject any such candidate to any prejudice or disadvantage; nor shall any system make any contract or other agreement which shall have the effect of permitting any legally qualified candidate for any public office to cablecast to the exclusion of other legally qualified candidates for the same public office.

[43 FR 32796, July 28, 1978, as amended at 45 FR 76179, Nov. 18, 1980; 57 FR 210, Jan. 3, 1992; 59 FR 14568, March 29, 1994]

wstrucke
01-25-2008, 12:54 AM
that sounds promising.

while i have your attention, who the hell is "FU FRANK" ?!

stewie3128
01-25-2008, 12:56 AM

QFT.

dan barry
01-25-2008, 12:58 AM
So basically MSNBC should be fined for their actions. you stated that the channel "shall afford EQUAL opportunities to all other candidates for that office to use such facilities"....

If I had never heard of the candidates before tonight, and then watched the debate, I would have thought lower of Ron Paul just because they ignored him.

We should seriously make a blimp that says "The News is Bullshit". But before I do that, I want to get a shirt of Rudy's horrible facial expression that he kept making tonight....he probably had to puke from his depressing outlook.

jcarcinogen
01-25-2008, 01:01 AM
The party could lay the rules but they don't. I don't know why you only blame the network and not the party.

VoteForRonPaul
01-25-2008, 01:02 AM
that sounds promising.

while i have your attention, who the hell is "FU FRANK" ?!
I guess Frank refers to anybody who thinks to screw up with a nation :D

Thanehand
01-25-2008, 01:08 AM
America is not about freedom, issues or fair debates.. It's about publicity.. The nation as a whole is just one big prostitution ring.. Not a constitution one.

Constitution vs Prostitution

LMAO! If I had more balls ;) I'd walk around with a t-shirt like this:

Front:
Ron Paul Portrait with the word "Constitution"

Back:
All other candidates portraits with the word "Prostitution"

fuzzybekool
01-25-2008, 01:10 AM
I think this video will hurt them enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NlIMQ31EjY

#49 - Most Discussed (Today) - News & Politics (http://www.youtube.com/browse?t=t&p=3&s=md&c=25&l=)
#70 - Top Favorites (Today) (http://www.youtube.com/browse?t=t&p=4&s=mf&c=0&l=)
#8 - Top Favorites (Today) - News & Politics (http://www.youtube.com/browse?t=t&p=1&s=mf&c=25&l=)
#57 - Top Rated (Today) (http://www.youtube.com/browse?t=t&p=3&s=tr&c=0&l=)
#11 - Top Rated (Today) - News & Politics (http://www.youtube.com/browse?t=t&p=1&s=tr&c=25&l=)
#90 - Top Rated (This Week) - News & Politi

dan barry
01-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Well, we should quickly figure out how MSNBC/GOP came up with tonight's CONTRIVED debate and expose it, QUICKLY. Ron Paul came in 2nd place TWICE in the last week, and they act like he doesn't exist. Thank God Fred Thompson dropped out, which thusly gave Ron Paul an extra 27 seconds of airtime lol.

There's still 10 months left. No panicking, and that's why we have to correct(or expose) this debate format as soon as possible. Maybe Kucinich can give another speech about it....maybe on january 28th when he impeaches Bush/Cheney he can add "...and while I'm up here, let me just say that these fuckin' debates are bullshit"

and thats the memo...

Swmorgan77
01-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Let's remember libertarian principles here. They're a private company..

Now, it is deceptive to package the program as a "public service" and then offer a product that is biased and manipulated. Also, because the FCC is not really a free market they do benefit from effective monopoly and government protection against competition...

However, I don't think we need to call for legal ramifications or regulatory intervention here...

Let's just let the free market do its work. If their product is bad then the market will provide alternatives that will be more popular.

dan barry
01-25-2008, 01:23 AM
"let the free markets" work itself out? huh? Free Market or RIGGED Market?

I'd rather deal with broken Di-Bold machines, than watch the FAKE OUTRAGEOUS BULLSHIT debate that we all witnessed. Get this shit out there. I'm starting to get as upset as that Derek guy on the Gunny-Bob Show: "YOU MAKE ME SICK SIR!!!"

VoteForRonPaul
01-25-2008, 01:24 AM
Thank God Fred Thompson dropped out, which thusly gave Ron Paul an extra 27 seconds of airtime lol.
:D