PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul too complex for soundbites?

gregl26
01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
i think the problem with Dr. Paul, or actually the psuedo-debate process, is to understand his complex beliefs you need more than 30 seconds. so how do we condense his message into easily soundbiteable parts so the people and the press can latch onto them?

JRuc33
01-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Exactly.

Ron Paul has what psychology calls the "curse of knowledge."

Because he has a such a vast understanding of economics, he assumes, incorrectly, the rest of us do as well, and therefore, he sounds to complex for the common man to understand.

This is just like the technology guros having the "curse of knowledge" and thinking the rest of us can set up a home theater system with 10 remotes if they can.

Paulitical Correctness
01-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Most people probably need a translator and/or dictionary as well.

coffeewithchess
He needs to talk to the Americans like they are stupid...that's all I'll say...:D:D:D:D

Eponym_mi
I've said this after every debate...he needs to work on presentation, speech, and debate skills. He needs help from a professional.

Chadd Murray
01-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Er let's not forget that he's also just plain and simple a horrible communicator in these debates, absolutely horrible... it's a shame.

ArrestPoliticians
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
I dont totally disagree, it is mainly a matter of perception. If Romney gives a convoluted answer to an economic question(like he did tonight), people who know about economy know he is full of shit and the masses think he is "sooo smart".

With Ron Paul, if he says something intelligent, those like Don Luskin and educated Paulites know he is right on, while the masses initially admire him but quickly fall into the MSM/forum troll smear that his answers are too convoluted.

DanK
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah, there have been a ton of supporters saying this all along. It's sad, but true. Really, it's the fault of the DoE for not educating people and the voters for being freaking bumps on a log, but there's not much you can do about that.

JRuc33
01-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Mabye add some comedy in there and not act like he's trying so hard

THats how Huck is doing so good and getting the "likability" factor.

RP has the substance, he needs the style.

gregl26
01-24-2008, 11:31 PM
I dont totally disagree, it is mainly a matter of perception. If Romney gives a convoluted answer to an economic question(like he did tonight), people who know about economy know he is full of shit and the masses think he is "sooo smart".

With Ron Paul, if he says something intelligent, those like Don Luskin and educated Paulites know he is right on, while the masses initially admire him but quickly fall into the MSM/forum troll smear that his answers are too convoluted.

i understand that but there has to be a way to state his positions in a more concise manner.

NMCB3
01-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Thomas Jefferson was a horrible public speaker. :cool:

cliche
01-24-2008, 11:34 PM
The message isn't really that complex. I agree a good soundbite can be important for getting a headline but every Ron Paul debate performance sounds almost identical. There is something to be said for pounding the message home consistently. Don't they say people need to hear something multiple times before they finally catch on?

NMCB3
01-24-2008, 11:36 PM
The message isn't really that complex. I agree a good soundbite can be important for getting a headline but every Ron Paul debate performance sounds almost identical. There is something to be said for pounding the message home consistently. Don't they say people need to hear something multiple times before they finally catch on?Very true. :cool:

gregl26
01-24-2008, 11:38 PM
The message isn't really that complex. I agree a good soundbite can be important for getting a headline but every Ron Paul debate performance sounds almost identical. There is something to be said for pounding the message home consistently. Don't they say people need to hear something multiple times before they finally catch on?

agreed

DFF
01-25-2008, 01:08 AM
I've said this after every debate...he needs to work on presentation, speech, and debate skills. He needs help from a professional.

Yeah...but Ron's always been a terrible speaker...and he's 72.

Chadd Murray
01-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Yeah...but Ron's always been a terrible speaker...and he's 72.
From what I've seen of his performances when he was going for president in '88 he wasn't too bad.

Shink
01-25-2008, 01:23 AM
i understand that but there has to be a way to state his positions in a more concise manner.

He needs to take 5 one dollar bills with him to debates and spell out inflation with them as a visual aid.