PDA

View Full Version : Another Katrina under President Paul?

ChristopherJ
08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Just curious how people think Ron Paul would handle another natural disaster like Katrina?

We all know what a clusterf*ck the whole FEMA thing was and RP believes free markets and charities are more efficient but would he (or the US gov't) be involved? Due to the welfare state many of those people were unable to help themselves, so let's assume for the sake of argument that something happens shortly after he takes office and it is a similar type situation where many poor people are involved. What would be President Paul's response?

DjLoTi
08-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I heard a story about churches responding immediately, when the Red Cross with billions of dollars in donations took days.

0zzy
08-01-2007, 09:51 PM
-He would phase out FEMA in order to have local and state government take care of it.

-The national guard would be in-state rather than in-Iraq to help out.

-He would allow private & public organizations take part in it.

-He would allow people who lived there to go back and help others.

And, etc etc.

Starks
08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Would we have the army corps of engineers on hand to fix levies?

bobmurph
08-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I think Paul would let the Governor of the affected state make all decisions & requests from the federal government and supply him w/ that aid. I definitely think he would yield the power to the state.

Local & state governments should be in charge of disaster scenarios. Only they have the all the necessary information to devise any functional plans. The USA is too big to have 1 federal agency in charge of disaster scenarios & disaster relief for every city/state.

As far as Katrina is concerned, IMO, the brunt of the blame has to fall on the citizens of Louisiana & N.O. and the corupt politicians they elected of the last several decades. EVERYONE knew that the N.O. disaster would happen eventually and they never elected someone to do anything about it.

DjLoTi
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Lets not forget about Biloxi, MS. That place got hit the hardest. If NOLA got hit like Biloxi did, NOLA would literally be *off the map*

ChristopherJ
08-01-2007, 10:01 PM
-He would phase out FEMA in order to have local and state government take care of it.

-The national guard would be in-state rather than in-Iraq to help out.

-He would allow private & public organizations take part in it.

-He would allow people who lived there to go back and help others.

And, etc etc.

So nothing? It's a valid answer, but it's early in his presidency and he hasn't phased out FEMA yet. The State has asked for federal help.

The National guard is likely the best option, but most people would not be able to get back in to help do to the flooding among other things.

DjLoTi
08-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Well, if another Katrina *did* happen, it would be at least 8 months after Ron Paul has become president.

Richandler
08-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Well since under Paul my income tax would be significantly less I image I would more be able to help with the response the the disaster myself along with my friends.

AMack
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Part of the reason that Katrina occurred was because Katrina was consolidated into the Dept. of Homeland Security. RP would certainly do everything possible to stop inefficient bureaucracy from affecting independent agencies. We'd be much better at fending against disasters.

ChristopherJ
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Well, if another Katrina *did* happen, it would be at least 8 months after Ron Paul has become president.

Yeah, I just used that as an example. Could be a massive earthquake if you prefer :)

quickmike
08-01-2007, 10:11 PM
one thing for sure, he sure as hell would not turn away private organizations like Wal-Mart that wanted to help out by donating water, blankets, like the Bush FEMA morons did when they turned away everyone who wanteu to help. Also, he certainy would not take away peoples rights to keep their weapons for protection like they did. Communities working together seems to be what RP would do in that situation.

DjLoTi
08-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I just used that as an example. Could be a massive earthquake if you prefer :)

Sorry, my real job is a weather man. I just couldn't resist :P

Shink
08-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Just curious how people think Ron Paul would handle another natural disaster like Katrina?

We all know what a clusterf*ck the whole FEMA thing was and RP believes free markets and charities are more efficient but would he (or the US gov't) be involved? Due to the welfare state many of those people were unable to help themselves, so let's assume for the sake of argument that something happens shortly after he takes office and it is a similar type situation where many poor people are involved. What would be President Paul's response?

I imagine he'd immediately send out a national address on tv and radio, calling for everyone to help any way they can, whether by volunteering, donating money or food, etc. and he'd likely send the National Guard from multiple states, as well. Much better plan than sending out FEMA, wouldn't you say?

ChristopherJ
08-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I imagine he'd immediately send out a national address on tv and radio, calling for everyone to help any way they can, whether by volunteering, donating money or food, etc. and he'd likely send the National Guard from multiple states, as well. Much better plan than sending out FEMA, wouldn't you say?

This was my thought too.

I like these type of hypotheticals as they help me (and hopefully others) when discussing Ron Paul with non believers.

Sometimes Liberatarians are viewed as cold or heartless (which of course is not true) and I think it would be important for RP to show compasion for the situation.

Imagine if RP, as a dr, rolled up his sleeves and personally helped victims ;)

MozoVote
08-01-2007, 10:56 PM
There was no FEMA in 1900 when Galveston was wiped out. People do pull together and rebuild, without Federal help.

Shink
08-01-2007, 11:05 PM
This was my thought too.

I like these type of hypotheticals as they help me (and hopefully others) when discussing Ron Paul with non believers.

Sometimes Liberatarians are viewed as cold or heartless (which of course is not true) and I think it would be important for RP to show compasion for the situation.

That would shut up almost everyone, seriously. "Dr. Paul Heals Nation" as a major headline. Oh well, I want him as President to put everyone in a happy, prosperous, and liberated situation, not to manage earthquakes.

angelatc
08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
There was no FEMA in 1900 when Galveston was wiped out. People do pull together and rebuild, without Federal help.

I've told this story over and over, but several neighborhood coalitions got tired of waiting for help and decided to rebuild their homes one by one, blocl by block, Amish style. The local government came in and told them they couldn't do that because that falls under the definition of "development" which would have required hundreds of thousands of dollars be spent on things like utility studies, traffic studies, drainage studies, etc etc etc.

1000-points-of-fright
08-01-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't think he would just abandon them. The Feds would help if the states ask for help (from creating national awareness for charity relief to the Army Corp of Engineers or even money), but it will be the local government's responsibility to take charge and coordinate everything.

foofighter20x
08-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Lets not forget about Biloxi, MS. That place got hit the hardest. If NOLA got hit like Biloxi did, NOLA would literally be *off the map*

No doubt... I spent 6 months in Biloxi for training and have been back many times for upgrade training...

I heard that over HALF of the mall got washed away, and it was one of those huge brick and stone ones! Also, there was a McD's built completely with brick near the mall that was completely gone.

Storm surge is what you need to fear, not the wind or the rain.

foofighter20x
08-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Sorry, my real job is a weather man. I just couldn't resist :P

No shit?! Mine too... only right now I'm doing solar/space environment.

foofighter20x
08-02-2007, 12:07 AM

Well, one thing is for certain: Dr Paul wouldn't have flown over the destruction in Marine One like a dumb, rich tourist. :mad:

cac1963
08-02-2007, 12:29 AM
There were several tornadoes through this area a couple months ago, and one of the hospitals was damaged as a result. According to this article (http://www.11alive.com/weather/article_weather.aspx?storyid=100972), FEMA is giving the hospital $9million to help rebuild. My question is, where is the hospital's insurance company and why aren't they paying for it?

Electrostatic
08-02-2007, 12:35 AM
If there was a Katrina on Dr. Paul's watch he would get the heck down there and start helping patients, urging every other red blooded American to do the same.

Oddball
08-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Who sez the prez has any responsibility to "handle" any natural disaster?

We all know what a clusterf*ck the whole FEMA thing was and RP believes free markets and charities are more efficient but would he (or the US gov't) be involved? Due to the welfare state many of those people were unable to help themselves, so let's assume for the sake of argument that something happens shortly after he takes office and it is a similar type situation where many poor people are involved. What would be President Paul's response?As dependent as they may have been, how were those people "unable" to pick their butts up off of the sofa and get the hell out of Dodge?

If "something happens" (I've always hated that euphemism) after Dr. Paul takes office, every person and business will have more of their earnings available to them to help their neighbors, and fewer federal bureaucrats sponging off of the funds supposedly earmarked for those who truly need them.

bygone
08-02-2007, 12:43 AM

I bet he wouldn't take a vacation.

http://thinkprogress.org/2005/08/30/as-katrina-struck-bush-vacationed/

Of course, I could say that about almost any of the candidates. I would like to see RP answer this question.

IrrigatedPancake
08-02-2007, 12:59 AM
Ideally I'm pretty sure he would like for states to be self sufficient, but right now they're almost as addicted to welfare as Haliburton, so I think he would recognize that fact as he recognizes he can't cut addicted people off of social welfare. However, I think he'd be far more passive and encouraging of local leaders than the Bush response.

trispear
08-02-2007, 03:39 AM
I don't like President Bush, but I regard the whole Katrina thing as pure BS. The governments down there got the money 6x over to build/rebuild the levies but the local politicians, corrupt as they are, squandered it. Yet the federal government gets all the blame.

The other bad thing about New Orleans, is that they are like a lot of coastline property - you simply shouldn't build there. We are subsidizing housing (through federal insurance) that would be simply uninsurable. That is not fair to the rest of the nation who decided to build their house in a decent spot not prone to the elements. It's like those constant mudslides in California. Why are we rewarding this behavior?

(The ones who get rewarded the most are the Developers, who pick the stupid spots. If it wasn't insurable, the property would be near worthless).

freelance
08-02-2007, 06:43 AM
one thing for sure, he sure as hell would not turn away private organizations like Wal-Mart that wanted to help out by donating water, blankets, like the Bush FEMA morons did when they turned away everyone who wanteu to help. Also, he certainy would not take away peoples rights to keep their weapons for protection like they did.

Exactly. He wouldn't do everything in his power to ALLOW a city and its people to die. He wouldn't send people to a death camp like the Convention Center. He wouldn't send ice and water on a trip to hell and back. And, he wouldn't turn away life-saving medical personnel and medicine at GUNPOINT!

bygone
08-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Meanwhile, the state has discovered it will not have enough money for its federally financed $7.5 billion homeowners’ aid program, Road Home, despite earlier assurances that it would, and even though only about one in five applicants — most of them entitled to it — have actually received money.

I suggest you read this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/02/us/nationalspecial/02orleans.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=2665cbc88e248d12&ex=1341028800&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Birdlady
08-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Ron Paul certainly wouldn't allow the gun confiscation that went on down there.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7794527529226066500&q=katrina+gun+confiscation&total=19&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4

Katrina was a testing ground to see how messed up they could make things (on purpose it wasn't just incompetency). They did a really good job of it...

I don't think Katrina would have happened at all if the FEDS weren't involved, but that's whole other can of worms.

austin356
08-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I heard a story about churches responding immediately, when the Red Cross with billions of dollars in donations took days.

Yes I told that story.

I think something could be worked out with volunteers such as if a Church rakes up 100,000 in credit charges in order to purchase supplies to come down here, that they will be reimbursed by the government.

I am a paleolibertarian and I fully understand the theoretical ideal position, but I am a realist when it comes to Washington politics, especially with transitions.

For one thing, I know if the governors would request it he would send in the Coast Guard which did a job better than all other agencies combined. That alone will meet the minimum thresholds of "keeping people from dieing". Combine that with the National Guard and you have yourself no people dieing even if they do nothing to help themselves.

But let me reassure everyone; My grandparents lost their home during this storm (MS GC) and FEMA has done 10x more harm than good on net. The only thing of any help was the flood insurance payouts and those are expected because premiums are paid.

FEMA = Situation WORSE

Coast Guard = Very helpful

National Guard = On net good.

bygone
08-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Ron Paul certainly wouldn't allow the gun confiscation that went on down there.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7794527529226066500&q=katrina+gun+confiscation&total=19&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4

Katrina was a testing ground to see how messed up they could make things (on purpose it wasn't just incompetency). They did a really good job of it...

I don't think Katrina would have happened at all if the FEDS weren't involved, but that's whole other can of worms.

Unless something changes, I find it likely this is a small glimpse of the future.

austin356
08-02-2007, 02:03 PM
If (pending Constitutionality) a tax and federal regulation free zone was built in MS/LA then the area would be rebuilt 95% and be on its way to being a tourist/retirement mecca greater than most every region in the nation (outside of the big apple, Orlando and Vegas) I not only believe such, but am extremely confident that is right.

ARealConservative
08-02-2007, 02:13 PM
congress will need to have the numbers to overturn a veto. :D

Razmear
08-02-2007, 02:18 PM
FEMA caused the most harm in NO LA, they even refused to air drop food to those starving and stranded because they feared riots when the food arrived.

FEMA is the problem, not the solution, especially when a moron puts a horse trainer in charge of the agency.

eb