McCain: "No, but I have lots of friends. Maybe one of them does?"

nate895
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
That would've been better.

mmarcman22
01-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Ron Paul: "Do you know jack shit about economics?"

Ah man, I could not stop laughing, that was good!

MooCowzRock
01-24-2008, 10:23 PM

HAHAHAHA! Watching that whole thing, it was hilarious...Ron Paul asks him a relatively uncomplicated question on a very basic issue of government intervention in the economy through executive agencies, and McCain turns into a deer looking at headlights! His response consisted of nothing but telling everyone he knows a lot of people who know about the economy, and they think he's the best guy for the job....and doesnt answer a single part of that question!

The sad part: all too many Americans probably though McCain's answer was good because they dont understand anything about what Paul was asking either...

ScotTX
01-24-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks for putting it in layman's terms! That's exactly what I heard!

Thanehand
01-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Best post of the evening, thank you!

JMO
01-24-2008, 10:29 PM
The sad thing about Mccains answer is he got away with it. Voters won't remember that Mccain was clueless because Mccain babbled on for 90 seconds acting like he was answering something kind of like I am doing right now.

Soccrmastr
01-24-2008, 10:31 PM
hehe funny. I wish people would really become educated. Ron Paul has written books on economics, he knows this, he has studied it his whole life. People are just too ignorant.

shadowhooch
01-24-2008, 10:32 PM
No offense to Ron, but it was a dumb question. I have no idea what he was talking about and neither does the American people.

Ron Paul should have hammered home how they talk about fiscal responsibility while promising a worldwide and increased presence overseas.

Soccrmastr
01-24-2008, 10:34 PM
No offense to Ron, but it was a dumb question. I have no idea what he was talking about and neither does the American people.

Ron Paul should have hammered home how they talk about fiscal responsibility while promising a worldwide and increased presence overseas.

No, the problem was the question is too smart, and the people are too dumb.

charger
01-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Look up Ron's question on Wikipedia.
That is what I like about Dr. Paul he gets me thinking.

Sadly many in this country do not like to think.

humanic

:D

Goldwater Conservative
What's funny is that McCain probably would have been far better off by saying he just doesn't know, and than everyone would laugh, and then the pundits would proclaim McCain "won" that exchange and Paul "lost" because only a fool would think a president should have an opinion on the integrity of the financial markets in this country.

akalucas
01-24-2008, 10:38 PM
i dont think it was a dumb question cause the four people i was watching with didnt understand the question but all said Mccain looked clueless. So if the point was to show the Mccain doesnt know much about economics it was mission accomplish.

mconder
The problem with this is that most the viewers were just as stumped as McCain. I think RP could have done a better build up on the question.

davidt!

Dumb people or not I don't think anyone there knew wtf Ron was talking about. He should have explained a little bit about what he was talking about before asking the question. I don't think that question gained him any points or took any away from McCain.

mconder
01-24-2008, 10:39 PM

Agreed.

N13
01-24-2008, 10:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunge_Protection_Team

spudea
01-24-2008, 10:44 PM

Most people have inquirering minds. I didn't know what it was either. But I went online and found out in a few seconds. It was a marvelous question. Unfortunately McCain completely dodged it :(

ErikBlack
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
It was a genius move. If he had asked any other question it would only have presented an opportunity for McCain to launch into one of his rehearsed speeches on the issue, lulling the audience into a trance with broad generalizations and key phrases like "straight talk" and "bridges to nowhere". Instead he left McCain stammering and stuttering and looking like a 1st class ass.

I don't have the slightest idea of what Paul's question was about, but it sure took McCain down a couple notches and THAT is what the American people respond to! People aren't interested in hearing rational discussions of the issues. If they were Paul would already be winning. They want to see a battle of wills and in this instance Paul made McCain his bitch!

trout007
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Trust me. The people with money in the markets know what he is talking about.

rockandrollsouls
01-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I've said it before, it doesn't matter what the question was. All that had to connect was "This guy asked a question, Mccain is squirming and can't answer it".
When you start naming other people to do your job, I think it's a dead give away that you have no clue what you are talking about. just my opinion.

Sey.Naci
01-24-2008, 10:53 PM

Ron Paul should have hammered home how they talk about fiscal responsibility while promising a worldwide and increased presence overseas.The candidates were informed in advance about this segment of the debate. That Paul used this question rather than another, and that he directed it to McCain, may have been a campaign strategy. He has no real opportunity other than during a debate to ask pointed, important questions, to highlight McWar's ignorance on key issues. I'm betting the campaign will be storing McWar's non-response for future use.

Goldwater Conservative
01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
It was a genius move. If he had asked any other question it would only have presented an opportunity for McCain to launch into one of his rehearsed speeches on the issue, lulling the audience into a trance with broad generalizations and key phrases like "straight talk" and "bridges to nowhere". Instead he left McCain stammering and stuttering and looking like a 1st class ass.

Agreed, the campaign must have calculated that it'd be better to make McCain look like an idiot than to let him launch into his tired-out tough maverick guy routine that everyone eats up.

shadowhooch
01-24-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm betting the campaign will be storing McWar's non-response for future use.

For future use? Like one of the highly covered press releases the campaign always does?:rolleyes:

Sorry for being negative. I'm just keep waiting and waiting and waiting for Ron Paul to REALLY take these guys to task and he never quite gets over the hump to REALLY connect with the average viewer.

It's guess it is up to my canvassing efforts to convince the voters. Onward!

abcde
01-24-2008, 11:06 PM
I agree that too many people seem apathetic right now, but as you see what the MSM is doing to Ron Paul right now, everything is so hush-hush. Knowing how brilliant Dr. Paul is, I had to find what he meant by "working groups on financial markets," and ended up finding out that those words should be capitalized and that it is just one group and it has been hush-hush kind of intentionally... I had to find out about it in a foreign newspaper b/c of a link someone put on this forum! That's like Vicente Fox getting on Larry King and talking about the amero being a possibility; why do foreigners seem to know more than we do and on top of it, it seems like you have to be on a mission to find out b/c you are certainly not going to hear about it through MSM.

shadowhooch
01-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Okay...now I'm all worked up. I simply wish Ron Paul would point out plain as day how all of these Republican candidates are being hypocrites right before our eyes.

They all say the want to stop the rediculous spending that the "past Republicans" have caved in to. They ALL say it...over and over again. How they are different and will get spending under control.

Then they all say they want to increase the military, keep a worldwide presence, stay in Iraq as long as necessary, and increase security.

HOW IS THAT CUTTING SPENDING!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Ron Paul, the nice guy he is, alludes to the fact that HE will stop the spending overseas. But he needs to take these guys to the mat and say that THEY WON'T! THEY WILL CONTINUE SPENDING US TO OBLIVION AS EVIDENCED BY THEIR ANSWERS!:mad:

Grrr...sorry. Off to bed to sleep this off.:)

chiplitfam
01-24-2008, 11:11 PM
McCain is by far the dumbest candidate, therefore the most dangerous. He must have learned it all from Bush.

romeo2
01-24-2008, 11:12 PM
like omg. i watched the question and response again and it got a million and a half times better. mccain didnt answer shit lolllllllllll. way to go ron. and smarten up america if you couldnt understand it!

ShowMeLiberty
01-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Ah man, I could not stop laughing, that was good!

+100

My cat now thinks I've lost my mind, laughing uncontrollably at the computer. :rolleyes:

chelu
01-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Funny how some Ron Paul "supporters" are quick to label the average American sheep/sheeple/etc... But then we have a few here who were just as clueless as McCain and complaining that the "general public" will have no idea what that whole question was about.

As someone posted before, it wasn't a dumb question. It was a smart question that the ignorant just can't understand. Dr. Paul made McCain look like a complete idiot and retreat like a coward to his pre-rehearsed checklist of the Phil-Gramms, blah blah blah, etc., which the audience already suffered through in an earlier question.

If the whole segment went over your head, it's time to visit www.ronpaullibrary.org

Edward
01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Anyone have a transcript of Paul's question and McCain's "answer"?

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
01-24-2008, 11:23 PM
There should be about 3 times as many votes listed if all 49 provisionals counted.

mdevour
01-24-2008, 11:26 PM
My score:

Giving the financially informed a clear picture of McCain's incompetence: +1

Leaving some of the audience saying, "Huh?" : +0

Doing a wrestling move on McCain that put a look on his face like the pig from the Simpson's Movie: Priceless! :D

That's all that it was, really, a fairly deft move to make McCain look dumb to most people and utterly clueless to those who know what's going on.

That will buy Ron cred in some circles.

Mike D.

Telkandore
01-24-2008, 11:27 PM
It's HILARIOUS that the first thing he said was basically "I support sunshine."

The brains of politicians have basically been re-wired into machines that process anything someone else says, sifting through it for something popular or neutral and then saying they support it.

We all fucking like sunshine, asshole. I guess McCain is one of those people who "enjoys fine dining."

tropicangela
01-24-2008, 11:30 PM

Ok maybe we're supposed to pick up on this and do something about it...

abcde
01-24-2008, 11:32 PM
If the whole segment went over your head, it's time to visit www.ronpaullibrary.org

WOW! Thanks! I feel like a dummy... why didn't I think of the Ron Paul Library before? Duh! Here's the link I found on there about what he was talking about:

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=527

Marc3579
01-24-2008, 11:34 PM
I think he was talking to Wall Street and the investors more than just the general public. Honestly, the bonds traders, stock traders will know what he meant. They'll pick up on what he said.

Leslie Webb
01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Ron's question was a question about whether Federal Reserve Board meetings should be open to the public or whether at least the minutes of Fed meetings should be available to the public. If McCain became president, we could hold him to this promise. Or if he refused, Mr. Straight Talk would be saying he would keep the proceedings secret.

McCain didn't know jack about what Ron asked. Unfortunately, nobody in the media called McCain out about this. Surely not knowing this most elementary information about the Fed is a gaffe much worse than the one Bush made in 2000, which I think was not knowing who the President of Pakistan was.

Delain
01-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Trust me. The people with money in the markets know what he is talking about.

Absolutely.

Also any proper journalist or reporter knows about the PPT and what probably happened last Tuesday.

McCain fell through the ice bigtime.

iznourbaby
01-24-2008, 11:48 PM
I grew up during the cold war having it pounded into my head that central planning (communism) was a bad thing. The question Ron posed was designed to expose just how much the federal government is messing with things they have no business messing with.

affa
01-24-2008, 11:51 PM
It's HILARIOUS that the first thing he said was basically "I support sunshine."

Yep, and this is why it was a slam dunk. McCain looked like a FOOL. Doesn't matter that I don't even know what the question meant, I could tell it was something important and McCain already established himself earlier in the debate as some sort of economist. He got Pwned.

bucfish
01-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Yeah Ron Paul owned McCain. What a rumbling bumbling answer he gave. Remember he once said Ron Paul is the most honest man in Politics!!!

grizzums
01-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Bare with me, I'm typing on a bberry...

I thought RP could have certainly articulated the question a little better, but I did like the question for a couple reasons. Overall I'm mixed on the outcome though.

First, anyone that follows economics and the markets knows what the PPT is. It was once thought of as just another 'conspiracy' type group...but not anymore.

It was very relevant on a couple fronts... In light of Bernanke's 75 basis point emergency cuts and this so-called stimulus package... Also with the whispers that Bernanke has not been entirely forthcoming with congress on the actual state of the economy, and speculation on what type of "influences" may be involved in the creating of this stimulus policy.

The camera shot of mccains expression as Paul was asking the question was priceless...lol.

Also, if my memory serves correctly...this was after Russert came at McCain on that quote about him not really undersynding economics that had McCain on the defensive. This question and obvious McCain dancing around the fact that he didn't have the slightest idea served to back up the notion that McCain indeed does not have a clue when it comes to the economy, which is now the number one issue. Couple this with the fact that McCain is now apparently a backer of making permanent the bush tax cuts that he originally opposed??? This all strikes at the heart of what I see as a big misperception in the eyes of McCain support....that he is a "straight talker"... I personally think he is anything but...

The problem is what has already been pointed out... That most people didn't have a clue as to what the hell Paul was asking, including McCain himself...and those same people may have bought into mccains dance as if he answered the question sufficiently. I am pretty pessimistic these days on the critical thinking skills of the general American public, so....I tend to think in the minds of voters, he wiggled off the hook and hence this had a net neutral effect.

InLoveWithRon
01-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Well from another non partisan forum, when they were talking about the debate they all agreed that Ron Paul really stumped McCain...

So if Non-Ron Paul people can see it in front of their computers, people at home saw it too in front of their TV's.

spiteface
01-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Furthering the idea that McCain doesn't know jack about economics was his question to Huck about the FairTax(tm). Instead of asking a probing question and smashing that stupid thing to bits, he serves up a hanging curveball that was promptly knocked out of the park. Did he honestly not know that was probably the first and most extensively addressed issue with the so-called FairTax(tm)?

DFF
01-25-2008, 12:53 AM

Yeah, but a good politician takes these things into account. Then again, Ron's objective might've been to intentionally confuse the audience thus have them look up the question on YouTube and subsequently see McCain's "WTF?" expression.

IcyPeaceMaker
01-25-2008, 12:55 AM
I wish he'd have directed his question to Romney and asked him how he intended to support the overseas empire, cut taxes and insure all of us, in the face of the looming economic catastrophy. That would have been knocking on the right door, McCain is toast, Romney is the frontrunner we need to nail down.

IcyPeaceMaker
01-25-2008, 01:00 AM
Furthering the idea that McCain doesn't know jack about economics was his question to Huck about the FairTax(tm). Instead of asking a probing question and smashing that stupid thing to bits, he serves up a hanging curveball that was promptly knocked out of the park. Did he honestly not know that was probably the first and most extensively addressed issue with the so-called FairTax(tm)?

There was alot of brother-in-lawing going on, there's more between the "top tier" than meets the eye. I believe they are working together to beat Ron Paul, and the MSM ain't doing us any favors.

billyjoeallen
01-25-2008, 01:05 AM
He asked that question so we would check it out on wikipedia and discover what's going on. It worked.

Also, he exposed McCain as a tool of the left. They want him to get the nomination because they know he will go down in flames in the general election.

Republicans: Paul, Romney
Democrat tools: McCain, Huckabee
Dead guy with 9.11 days to live: Ghouliani

Telkandore
01-25-2008, 01:25 AM
"Senator John McCain is the only presidential candidate bold enough to come out in favor of sunshine! The rest of the field has dodged or even completely ignored this vital issue that faces America today. The sun makes our crops grow and keeps us warm; without sunshine this country would be completely lost! John McCain has a comprehensive strategy to make the sun shine brightly for 10 months of the year, slashing the cost of heating your home with pricey oil or gas.

If we don't get John McCain in the White House there will be no summer. Or corn.

A vote for John McCain means you'll never hit your shin on a coffee table in the dark ever again, because a vote for John McCain is a vote for actually being able to visually see things on the planet that exist in life.

John McCain makes the sun rise.

(And it's been rumored that he knows someone from the treasury department who can make it rain when they dance.)"