PDA

View Full Version : frustrated

ckhagen
01-24-2008, 10:09 PM
So, am I the only one who has trudged up and down dirt roads in the rain, been chased by dogs, and had doors slammed in my face, and did something pretty horrible to my ankle falling down someones stairs, only to not ID one single RP supporter???

I feel like I've spent all this time doing something totally purposeless (I know it's statistically not, but in my case it has been). About half the addresses on our lists were no good any more and then 75% of what was left out of that were people who weren't home. Those who did answer the door and were who they were supposed to be, either said "ain't no way I'm voting for that nut" or were supporting someone else. I only found ONE undecided!! And... I already knew her!

I guess I'm just totally depressed. We split our precinct into three parts and our part is over halfway done except for the homes we couldn't get access to.

a2planet2
01-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Canvassing can be frustrating. Your story sounds exceptionally unfortunate, but it can happen. Nevertheless, nothing helps more than getting out the vote by reaching voters on a personal level. If door-to-door isn't working out, try phone calls. If you get a negative response, it's easy to just shrug off a bad call and move on to the next.

nate895
01-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I feel bad for ya.

In my canvassing I've had 3/10 shut the door, 1/3 of those slam in my face w/out a word, and the other two thirds just say "John McCain" mostly (or another candidate), but mostly McCain. 1/5 are positive and say they'll vote for him if he's still a contender after Super Tuesday, another 1/5 are undecided.

ckhagen
01-24-2008, 11:13 PM
I think people around here (FL) are totally not used to being an early primary state and are used to being left alone in this process.

Our results with the phone calls were even worse (and I've made campaign phone calls for other candidates from GOP offices in past elections, so I'm not new to it and it was the same then). I think I got about 1 out of every 80 on average to answer the questions in full. The majority hung up on me - literally...introduce myself and hear "click" or "take me off your list!"- and the rest were nice enough to say "sorry I'm too busy right now" before the hung up. If I still had a landline it might not be such a big deal. Several of my people working the phone lists gave up out of complete demoralization, we though the canvassing would be easier.

Jobarra
01-24-2008, 11:32 PM
I think people around here (FL) are totally not used to being an early primary state and are used to being left alone in this process.

Our results with the phone calls were even worse (and I've made campaign phone calls for other candidates from GOP offices in past elections, so I'm not new to it and it was the same then). I think I got about 1 out of every 80 on average to answer the questions in full. The majority hung up on me - literally...introduce myself and hear "click" or "take me off your list!"- and the rest were nice enough to say "sorry I'm too busy right now" before the hung up. If I still had a landline it might not be such a big deal. Several of my people working the phone lists gave up out of complete demoralization, we though the canvassing would be easier.
You have to realize people are fed up with telemarketers. I ask that of every single person that calls me. It doesn't matter who they are.

Most of the people I've talked with are truly undecided if that helps. I think I will be WAY more effective by being at the polling place on election day. If there is someone there, that might knock out the 'is he electable' doubts and get them to vote for him if they are truly undecided on which candidate to support.

ckhagen
01-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Right, I totally realize they're just fed up with telemarketers... that's the whole problem. Toss in the fact that we're dealing politics and it compounds the issue.

I do the same thing... the people who call for donations to the Fire and Police (hey, don't I pay taxes for that!?) get hung up on these days because I've tried being polite and they don't take a clue. The Jehovah's Witnesses must love my street because they show up about twice a month. I either hide, or strip a baby naked and say "I'm sorry, but we're in the middle of getting in the bath!".

We'll definitely be at the polling place... no doubt.

Jobarra
01-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Right, I totally realize they're just fed up with telemarketers... that's the whole problem. Toss in the fact that we're dealing politics and it compounds the issue.

I do the same thing... the people who call for donations to the Fire and Police (hey, don't I pay taxes for that!?) get hung up on these days because I've tried being polite and they don't take a clue. The Jehovah's Witnesses must love my street because they show up about twice a month. I either hide, or strip a baby naked and say "I'm sorry, but we're in the middle of getting in the bath!".

We'll definitely be at the polling place... no doubt.
Hey, all this canvassing is giving me ideas for how to avoid salesmen myself. I've come up to five people who just happen to be on their cell phone when I knock ;). Gotta remember that one the next time Witnesses show up. Just grab the cell, flip it open, open the door and say "Sorry, I'm on the phone, come back another time." :D

Canvassing does work though. There are a few people who have sounded favorable to Paul and didn't know he existed. I think instead of knocking on doors this weekend, I may just spend more time on lit drop. I have 7200+ people on my list and have hit 246 homes so far :/ Would rather give more people lit and then maybe work on them at the polling place than to get just 2 or 3 more voters this weekend.

skeryl
01-25-2008, 07:33 AM
I know what you mean. Its discouraging to not be able to identify Ron paul supporters... My precints are all closed off to the public (gated communities and apt buildings.) I have no way of canvassing door to door so I have tried to call ..and mail them with the info.

The calling did not work out well since theres a lot of snooty aholes around where i live. As soon as i say survey or research they slam the phone down.. so i changed the format of questioning them to:
- ask if the person is available
- after they get on the line or ask who is calling...
- tell them its the florida prefrence research with just 3 questions regarding the upcoming primaries.. and that it would take less than 30 seconds of their time
- if they say no.. thank them and hang up.. and if the say yes.... you know the drill..

Ive had one guy that asked me to read all the questions to him, and refused to give me any answers. and at the end of the call said "sorry dame... no answers for you"

So i resorted to sending everyone a mail. It costed me around 120 bucks, but i got everyone in my precinct covered (C029) though i have no responses from them and havent identified anyone.

I have to figure out this weekend how to identify them.

Soccrmastr
01-25-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm only 15 and for this reason I think I'll be sticking with calling rather than door to door.

ghemminger
01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
start with phone calls first

PinkPatriot
01-26-2008, 01:21 PM
It's cold, raining off and on, and people don't want to be bothered with phone calls or people at the door. I wrote a hand-written note to my neighors about why I am supporting Ron Paul and invited them to e-mail me with their opinions on Ron Paul. I included his website address, a general information sheet, and a slimjim. Starting tomorrow, I'll be leaving the materials at each door on my list...well as many of the 1300 as I can get to without killing myself.

Yes, it would be nice to speak with each household, update the database and make followup phone calls but lets get real, we're only human.

Suzu
01-27-2008, 02:52 PM
My results so far (with calling):

Almost half are wrong numbers or disconnected.
Of the rest, about 3/10 are firm Ron Paul supporters, and the remainder are equally divided between undecided and unwilling to disclose who they're planning to vote for. Most want us out of Iraq.

Much canvassing and other promotions have been done (mostly by me, until a month or so ago) in this area. I recommend going door-to-door with literature as much as possible.

I am not able to record my calling results online because the names do not appear in the same order in both sections of the precinct leader website. But I am keeping handwritten notes.

Dana Johnson
01-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I was planning on going on foot, but because we are having MASSIVE snow fall here, I thought I would stick to the phone calls, and so far.. not good. I'm getting tons of wrong/disconnected phone numbers, and most that due answer say "Not interested" and hangup. I've had a few who were willing to take the survey, and while nice about it, are leaning heavily towards Romney and are pro war.

I might just hit houses here later, I just hope the snow slows down. My brother has already had to tow 2 people who got stuck next to our house this morning, and I've seen 2 other trucks help tow other people stranded nearby as well.