PDA

View Full Version : Tancredo: Threaten Muslim Holy Sites to Deter Terror

Badger Paul
08-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Right from the horses' mouth:

From Newsmax.com

Rep. Tancredo: Threaten Muslim Holy Sites to Deter Terror

Before he became a candidate for president, Tom Tancredo was telling Americans that the U.S. should threaten to bomb Mecca if Islamic terrorists successfully detonate a nuclear device in America.

In July of 2005, he said on Fox News, "If this [terror attack] happens, and if, in fact, we can prove that it was perpetrated by some fundamentalist Islamic - 'Islamo-fascist' is really I think what we should call them - then you might think about this as a threat, the retaliation on their holy sites.

"We are talking about a situation where our very lives are at stake, not just the life of the United States, but of Western civilization," he insisted.

A week later, Tancredo told WFLA Florida radio host Pat Campbell:

"You know, there are things that you could threaten to do before [a terror attack] happens ..."

The Colorado Republican then explained: "What if you said something like: If this happens in the United States and we determine that it is the result of extremist, fundamentalist Muslims - you know, you could take out their holy sites."

Asked if he was talking about bombing Mecca, Tancredo replied: "Yeah."

And the congressman and presdential candidate is not backing down from these comments. He told an audience in Iowa today, almost exactly two years later, that as president he would advocate the very same position.

"If it is up to me, we are going to explain that an attack on this homeland of that nature would be followed by an attack on the holy sites in Mecca and Medina," the GOP presidential candidate said, according to IowaPolitics.com. "That is the only thing I can think of that might deter somebody from doing what they would otherwise do.

"If I am wrong fine, tell me, and I would be happy to do something else. But you had better find a deterrent or you will find an attack. There is no other way around it. There have to be negative consequences for the actions they take. That's the most negative I can think of."

He further warned: "The president and this country better figure out exactly what it can do to deter, I underline deter, the next attack.

"Deter, not just respond, deter, or else I assure you we are going to suffer. The extent of which of course I do not know. I know what they are planning and I know what they want. I do not know if they are going to be capable of doing this tomorrow, the next day or a month from now. I know right now at this moment there is nothing that deters them."

© 2007 NewsMax.com. All Rights Reserved.