PDA

View Full Version : Watching Debate: Why does Dr. Paul use the world "empire"

fmontez
01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Dr. Paul was giving a great response to the economy, then he threw out the "empire" word. You would think National would have developed a list of words that he should not use... "empire" being one of them. I could hear an audible sigh here as the word was uttered...

Lets put together a list of danger words here:

(1) Empire

steph3n
01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Dr. Paul was giving a great response to the economy, then he threw out the "empire" word. You would think National would have developed a list of words that he should not use... "empire" being one of them. I could hear an audible sigh here as the word was uttered...

Lets put together a list of danger words here:

(1) Empire

speaking truth can cause some pain

Iowa4Paul
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
speaking truth can cause some pain

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

pcosmar
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
What is another word for Empire?
He is using it accurately, it fits the message.
Do you have a better word for incursions, aggressions, and involvement within the affairs of sovereign nations?

Xenophage
01-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Uh, empire is an appropriate word.

pinkmandy
01-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Uh, empire is an appropriate word.

I agree. Nothing else to call it. We ARE an empire and we will fall like all empires do.

Dr.3D
01-24-2008, 10:19 PM
We are doing as all the other failed empires did, we try to impose our system on others thus building our empire bigger.

We just use the guise of promoting democracy instead of saying we want to take over another country. Of course when we remove a person in power from another country and install one of our own, we essentially have taken over that country.

Mani
01-24-2008, 10:23 PM
because it slaps you in the face.

It makes you realize what we are doing, it puts a completely different perspective on our foreign policy.

When you look at us from a historical perspective and see what we are doing, you realize we are an EMPIRE.

It never hit me until he used that word. It's very powerful.

fmontez
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
because it slaps you in the face.

It makes you realize what we are doing, it puts a completely different perspective on our foreign policy.

When you look at us from a historical perspective and see what we are doing, you realize we are an EMPIRE.

It never hit me until he used that word. It's very powerful.

That is not all the word does...

It makes main stream voters *sigh* and dismiss him as fringe/unelectable/not serious. I never said the word wasn't used right, but is there no consideration for political talk? Straight talk doens't win elections...

billjarrett
01-24-2008, 10:38 PM
That is not all the word does...

It makes main stream voters *sigh* and dismiss him as fringe/unelectable/not serious. I never said the word wasn't used right, but is there no consideration for political talk? Straight talk doens't win elections...

George W. Bush used it in 2000, and he got elected president. Republicans have traditionally been against "empire building"

fmontez
01-24-2008, 11:36 PM
George W. Bush used it in 2000, and he got elected president. Republicans have traditionally been against "empire building"

Yeah, but George Bush wasn't fighting the "Fringe Label." I think it is a bad word for Dr. Paul to use so often... there must be another word that he can use..

Fox McCloud
01-24-2008, 11:56 PM
what would you rather have? A mainstream candidate who uses good words, but doesn't have the voting record or moral integrity to back it up?

or a candidate who has moral integrity and a good voting record, who speaks his mind and says what he thinks.

We are an empire...what do you call invading Iraq, then imposing our ideals upon them?

dspectre
01-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, but George Bush wasn't fighting the "Fringe Label." I think it is a bad word for Dr. Paul to use so often... there must be another word that he can use..

I can understand your feelings on this.

However this double-speak double plus good stuff has to come to an end.

Vague generalities have lead us down the path of corruption.

The reality is, as the internet becomes more popular and widely used, there will be less room for using mindless babble and propaganda.

SeanEdwards
01-25-2008, 12:14 AM
He could maybe switch it up and call it a hegemony, but 90% of the audience wouldn't know wtf he was talking about.